Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #21

I always turn off pump and let the pressure and fuel drain into whatever I'm filling
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #22

I'll most likely use the TH once a month at a track amyway, but i do t know if I Wana take a chance if the gas going bad...I also most likely won't be using the filler station anytime soon as I rum motorcycles and try to run the freshest gas I can so that they run properly.

Ethanol free is great, when we use to have premium here :/ now they only seem to have 89 ethanol free around here. My bikes just seem to not care for 89. I really wanted the fuel station almost to be separated from the genny gas that way when I run into a gas station with pump 100, I could get more then the 5 gallon can I carry with to ru. The bikes with
MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #23

Oh btw,

What's considered alot of hours on a Onan 4k genny anyway? What kinda servicing hours should I go by? I'm assuming I will need to change the oil/filter eventually?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:31 AM   #24

You need to change oil after the first 20 hours. Then change it every 100 hours after that. They say to stop genny every 6 to 8 to check oil level. The Onan place in Atlanta told me to use regular 15w40 or straight 30 weight. There is no oil filter on the 4000. You will need to change the air filter, but that is a check as you go depending on the environment you're in. I ended up taking the oil plug out and switching it to a Fumoto Valve. My drain plug is directly over an I-beam and makes a hell of a mess. Plus changing the oil every 100 hours comes pretty often in the summer.

Not sure what you are asking about alot of hours. I have run ours for 4 days straight except for checking oil and trying to give it an hour break here and there.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #25

Thanks for the info! And as far as why I'm asking about alot of hours, I should say maybe more what's a typical life span of one?

For example, on motocross bikes 100 hrs its time to replace the top end, for a 4 stroke. While at 200 it's time to replace the bottom end. These are generalizations as people adjust accordingly to how they use their bikes.

But with those hours on a bike it is usually pretty high for one. So I was just curious at what point the genny could possibly quit.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #26

MC, I don't have an Onan in my unit, but I am very familiar with generators from the military and from disaster relief.

I would expect this generator to go 2,000 to 3,000 hours with impeccable maintenance.

First and foremost is changing the oil. As you already know it doesn't have an oil filter. This says to me change it like clock work and frequently.

Old VWs didn't have a filter and they, with proper maintenance, could go 200K miles before a bottom end rebuild... been there done that. The spec was to change it every 2500 miles, which I did without fail and checked the level at every fill up.

2500 miles is nearly equivalent to 50 to 60 hours of run time. For that reason, I think 100 hours is too long, if that's what Cummins says. That would be like 5,000 in a car, but it only holds a quart and doesn't have a oil filter. I'd shot for a quick oil change every 50 to 60 hours.

Air filters are another thing that you can't let go, but this depends on the enviroment its running in; I just look at them, if it looks bad enough, I change it.

Always have extra oil and filters; oil, air and fuel, for everything you own on the shelf, ready to use, is a sure way that you will perform maintenace as you should.

I don't have to say it, but have a good fuel filter and if you can, run it on non-ethanol fuel. I run non-ethanol in all my weedeaters, mowers, and generators and they love it... runs cooler and smoother, honest they do. That is what's in my motorcycle too.

Adding the Fumoto valve that OG mentions is a very wise thing to do. Anything that makes changing the oil neater - more convenient, the better. Also, like he says, change it the first time at 20 hours. Personally, I would run straight 30 weight. Old school taught me that air cooled engines run cooler and lubricate better with it, but thats JMO. Using the same brand in an engine, for its life, is a myth.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #27

WW, thanks for the info. I just now looked up that valve and that does look very handy!

As far as other maintenence is concerned what and how often does everyone realistically do them? Im suppose to lube up the seals with some sealant lube correct? The guy who showed me around at the dealer said WD40 works, but before I take that advice I Wana make sure it's not bs first.

And if anyone can recommend the product (s) and their brands they recommend that would be great!

I haven't used the latrine, or anything water related, as of yet cause I'm not real sure about this whole treatment of the tanks, how often , and what to use and not use.

I know there's alot of newbie questions, but I'm trying to avoid learning the hardway if possible. I still need to pick up attachment (s) for draining the water out.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #28

Also the pic I posted is where it's being stored at down here in panama city, fl. Is there any real need to winterize it, specially if I'm using it most likely once a month, or more. Is there any real benefit to using covers while parked in storage? Brands?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #29

The tanks aren't that bad. Just go to Walmart and get a tank treatment pack. I basically throw one in at the beginning of each trip. I'll let the shower grey water drain open pretty much all the time if we are hooked up. Always put a good amount of water in your black tank before use. Always drain the black tank first then pull the greys. I'll keep the sink grey full and use it after the black most of the time while the shower drain is mostly empty. Make sure your hose is tight before pulling the drain levers. I saw a guy get spewed on at Bristol. HILARIOUS!!!

Sanitize your water system every so often. Remember to shut off the water heater if yours has electric outside.

Winterizing... If it's going to freeze.. Get the water out. I use a compressor. There is a whole thread about this. To me in the south buying antifreeze except for p traps is a wasted effort. Especially since we camp all year. I drain mine after every trip but only blow it out during winter.

I personally wouldn't fool with a cover (the Nitro is 12'3" tall and that would be horrible to do every time), but keeping it in a shed roof helps. Sun fades stuff and breaks down materials.

It is going to be a learn as you go. It's not too hard. If you haven't already, get a small tool bag and keep in the camper. I keep screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets and random stuff like that. Nothing too extravagant but you will always need some kinda tool.

I would read through the forum. There is a ton of knowledge on here. Stuff I would never have even thought about.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCrazy808 View Post
WW, thanks for the info. I just now looked up that valve and that does look very handy!

As far as other maintenence is concerned what and how often does everyone realistically do them? Im suppose to lube up the seals with some sealant lube correct? The guy who showed me around at the dealer said WD40 works, but before I take that advice I Wana make sure it's not bs first.

And if anyone can recommend the product (s) and their brands they recommend that would be great!

I haven't used the latrine, or anything water related, as of yet cause I'm not real sure about this whole treatment of the tanks, how often , and what to use and not use.

I know there's alot of newbie questions, but I'm trying to avoid learning the hardway if possible. I still need to pick up attachment (s) for draining the water out.
I would never use WD40 on slide seals or on any rubber. I have 303 for seals and rubber. I think pure silicon would be OK for slide seals, if 303 is not available... is even works on the finish.

Although I used a 3M professional yellow wax on mine. I get stubborn stains off (the fiberglass) with a fine cut compound, then wax it. Eagle makes a wax called Nano Wax that works very well on the finish and I don't think it would hurt the decals. Some petroleum base waxes are said to be harmful on the decals.

The other thing is keep it under cover, if you can do this it will keep it new many years longer. If kept outside a cover is a good idea, but it is a PITA to put on and take off as you can imagine and other's point out. If you store for months on end, get a cover, if not, I wouldn't bother. You will need to clean and wax it more often, is all.

Inspect the roof often. The Dicor sealant can have bubbles and can pull away from things it isnt' supposed to be. Look it over carefully a pin hole can ruin your fun and investment.

I know its generic, but you might want to read the owners manual. It has tips for how to do a lot of things. There is good information on the site, but sometimes there are too many opinions.

Fresh water tank: needs an occassional sanitizing... I fill the tank... add plain ole bleach (about a cup to the full tank). How I do it is add bleach to the empty hose... hook it up to a faucet and the trailer FW fill without getting it all over, then turn on the water and fill the tank until it overflows, turn off the city water and turn on the RV water pump and run water from every cold tap until you can smell bleach (or feel the slickness to the hands it causes) I don't run it into the hot water tank.. only cold, including the outside "shower".

Turn off the pump and let it sit a day at least.

Drain the tank - open taps while it is draining as well.

Now close the faucets; fill the FW tank with clean fresh water. Turn on the pump and run several gallons through each faucet, which flushes out the bleach. I actually leave 15 to 20 in the tank.

Grey tanks: should never need flushing or chemicals IMO.

Black tank: is a story unto itself. I never let the black tank sit empty. Keep 10 - 15 gallons in it.

Even if are at a campground and have full hookup, don't leave the black tank dump valve open... keep it close and dump when full. Or before leaving the park. If you leave it open, you will have a huge lump that will thicken and harden and be difficult if not impossible to clear out. No nice way to say it.

Chemicals: I've used all kinds of chemicals / products over the years. I use a product that uses a microbal action to keep the tank clean. I think RV RidX works well, too. Go by the directions for use.

Paper: you might need to teach people to not use so much paper. And, use RV paper, not what you use at home. It breaks down better and might not mess up your level indicators as much.

How to manage: So, with 5 - 10 gals in the tank, add your tank chemical.

When it needs dumping, hook up and dump till empty. I have a Rhino hose with a clear 45 that lets me see what's flowing. It seems gross at first, but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. Make sure the nasty end of the hose is well secured before operating the valve. Don't ask me how I know.

If I have full hookups and have had the grey dump valves open the whole time (you can do this), a day before I know the black is going to need to be dumped, I close the grey valves.

After dumping the black, and it will take a while to drain completely, I close the black valve and open both grey valves, this flushs out the really bad stuff from the hose and saves a little water on the flush I am about to do.

Close the grey valves. And open the black valve, if not alreay open.

Now, I'm kind of OCD and don't use the white hose for flushing, I have a crappy (no pun intended) green hose for that purpose.

I connect to city water and to the flush hose attachment, and flush the With city water hook up and flush the black tank.

With the black tank dump valve still open, run water. Let it run for several minutes, if you can. I differ from some in that I close the black tank dump valve while flushing and let the tank nearly fill.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUN THE BLACK TANK OVER!!! EVER!!

With the flush water running and ALL valves closed go inside and watch the monitor panel for the black tank... when the full light comes on, I run like hell to the outside and turn off the water, of course with two people would be to easier.

Then open the black tank dump valve and let it drain. Watch the water in your new clear 45 degree coupling and see that it is very nasty. I repeat this until it isn't so nasty... or actually quite clear. Close the dump valve and repeat until you are happy that it is clean enough.

Close the dump valve and run 10 gals (MOL) into the black tank and add your chemicals again. Ready for next time.

If I haven't camped for awhile, I might add more chemical to the tank when I do.

One thing I never do is have grey valves and black valves open at the same time; black water could get into a grey tank and be an issue, IMO.

Grey Tanks: Try not to flush food particles down the kitchen sink. I wipe off into the trash excess stuff, or use paper plates, or use the sink at the campground. Food in the grey tank could cause odors and problems.

A lot of people act like they are at home, the way the use water and the other things, you have to get into a different mindset.

I like to see how long I can make fresh water last.... less water... less dumping.

If you don't already have one, get a good sewer hose and a clear 45 degree for monitoring the flushing process.

So, that is my boring rendition.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #31

WW,
Thank you for all that you give back to the community. The knowledge/experience you have really helps out the new people (i.e. ME...).

Have a great day/weekend/camping season... :-)
Old 09-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
WW,
Thank you for all that you give back to the community. The knowledge/experience you have really helps out the new people (i.e. ME...).

Have a great day/weekend/camping season... :-)
You know I love to help. I hope I do, at least. The weather is gettin' really good, so I hope you have time to get out there and have fun.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #33

OG & WW, i really appreciate the responses! and i cant help but think of the movie "RV" with robin williams when i go to deal with draining tanks and just hope i can avoid the spectacular mess involved with it lol
Old 09-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #34

WW, you need to write a booklet. You're a wealth of knowledge. I wish we had these forums when I started RVing 20 years ago and camping 25 years before that.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCrazy808 View Post
OG & WW, i really appreciate the responses! and i cant help but think of the movie "RV" with robin williams when i go to deal with draining tanks and just hope i can avoid the spectacular mess involved with it lol

It sometimes is like that movie, but that's all part of the fun. I've learned that the worst trips camping make for the best stories and probably the more fond memories. We've had tires blow, the awning ripped off, nails in the tires, water heaters quit working, once I put ethanol in my diesel tank in SC not realizing it was ethanol (that's a whole other story).. All kinds of fun stuff. At least we can laugh about it now.

Oh.. One more thing. Take some anti bacterial soap and a few paper towels outside when you are dumping. Once I disconnect everything, I scrub down at the hose bibb. I tried the rubber gloves thing, it just wasn't working for me.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I would never use WD40 on slide seals or on any rubber. I have 303 for seals and rubber. I think pure silicon would be OK for slide seals, if 303 is not available... is even works on the finish.

Although I used a 3M professional yellow wax on mine. I get stubborn stains off (the fiberglass) with a fine cut compound, then wax it. Eagle makes a wax called Nano Wax that works very well on the finish and I don't think it would hurt the decals. Some petroleum base waxes are said to be harmful on the decals.

The other thing is keep it under cover, if you can do this it will keep it new many years longer. If kept outside a cover is a good idea, but it is a PITA to put on and take off as you can imagine and other's point out. If you store for months on end, get a cover, if not, I wouldn't bother. You will need to clean and wax it more often, is all.

Inspect the roof often. The Dicor sealant can have bubbles and can pull away from things it isnt' supposed to be. Look it over carefully a pin hole can ruin your fun and investment.

I know its generic, but you might want to read the owners manual. It has tips for how to do a lot of things. There is good information on the site, but sometimes there are too many opinions.

Fresh water tank: needs an occassional sanitizing... I fill the tank... add plain ole bleach (about a cup to the full tank). How I do it is add bleach to the empty hose... hook it up to a faucet and the trailer FW fill without getting it all over, then turn on the water and fill the tank until it overflows, turn off the city water and turn on the RV water pump and run water from every cold tap until you can smell bleach (or feel the slickness to the hands it causes) I don't run it into the hot water tank.. only cold, including the outside "shower".

Turn off the pump and let it sit a day at least.

Drain the tank - open taps while it is draining as well.

Now close the faucets; fill the FW tank with clean fresh water. Turn on the pump and run several gallons through each faucet, which flushes out the bleach. I actually leave 15 to 20 in the tank.

Grey tanks: should never need flushing or chemicals IMO.

Black tank: is a story unto itself. I never let the black tank sit empty. Keep 10 - 15 gallons in it.

Even if are at a campground and have full hookup, don't leave the black tank dump valve open... keep it close and dump when full. Or before leaving the park. If you leave it open, you will have a huge lump that will thicken and harden and be difficult if not impossible to clear out. No nice way to say it.

Chemicals: I've used all kinds of chemicals / products over the years. I use a product that uses a microbal action to keep the tank clean. I think RV RidX works well, too. Go by the directions for use.

Paper: you might need to teach people to not use so much paper. And, use RV paper, not what you use at home. It breaks down better and might not mess up your level indicators as much.

How to manage: So, with 5 - 10 gals in the tank, add your tank chemical.

When it needs dumping, hook up and dump till empty. I have a Rhino hose with a clear 45 that lets me see what's flowing. It seems gross at first, but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. Make sure the nasty end of the hose is well secured before operating the valve. Don't ask me how I know.

If I have full hookups and have had the grey dump valves open the whole time (you can do this), a day before I know the black is going to need to be dumped, I close the grey valves.

After dumping the black, and it will take a while to drain completely, I close the black valve and open both grey valves, this flushs out the really bad stuff from the hose and saves a little water on the flush I am about to do.

Close the grey valves. And open the black valve, if not alreay open.

Now, I'm kind of OCD and don't use the white hose for flushing, I have a crappy (no pun intended) green hose for that purpose.

I connect to city water and to the flush hose attachment, and flush the With city water hook up and flush the black tank.

With the black tank dump valve still open, run water. Let it run for several minutes, if you can. I differ from some in that I close the black tank dump valve while flushing and let the tank nearly fill.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUN THE BLACK TANK OVER!!! EVER!!

With the flush water running and ALL valves closed go inside and watch the monitor panel for the black tank... when the full light comes on, I run like hell to the outside and turn off the water, of course with two people would be to easier.

Then open the black tank dump valve and let it drain. Watch the water in your new clear 45 degree coupling and see that it is very nasty. I repeat this until it isn't so nasty... or actually quite clear. Close the dump valve and repeat until you are happy that it is clean enough.

Close the dump valve and run 10 gals (MOL) into the black tank and add your chemicals again. Ready for next time.

If I haven't camped for awhile, I might add more chemical to the tank when I do.

One thing I never do is have grey valves and black valves open at the same time; black water could get into a grey tank and be an issue, IMO.

Grey Tanks: Try not to flush food particles down the kitchen sink. I wipe off into the trash excess stuff, or use paper plates, or use the sink at the campground. Food in the grey tank could cause odors and problems.

A lot of people act like they are at home, the way the use water and the other things, you have to get into a different mindset.

I like to see how long I can make fresh water last.... less water... less dumping.

If you don't already have one, get a good sewer hose and a clear 45 degree for monitoring the flushing process.

So, that is my boring rendition.
WW

Well done WW! You continue to amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums