Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
My main reason for posting this was to bring attention to this issue because of safety. Was really torn about where to post it as I hope anyone with a large I beam constructed trailer will take the time to just take a flashlight and look down the whole length of their beams for this. I found it by dumb luck, actually. Was putting my tire covers on for a 2 week vacation and jusy happened to see it. Have no idea how long it's been like this. Had an awesome conversation with John Miller who is listed as a contact on the XLR website. I was in no way threatening any legal action, nor do I expect either of them (FR or Lippert) to pay for this. I clearly want advice/ recommendations about the repair and as I told Mr. Miller, we were considering buying a new XLR, but depending on how this works out, why would I consider another one? Would like to know what sort of followup FR will do for this. Waiting for his response.... will let you guys know. Also, he suggested I wait and not take the underbelly apart yet, so that's on hold.
To me, the fact that they don't want you to do anything to it (remove underbelly) sounds like positive news for you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #22
DDC

Quote:
My main reason for posting this was to bring attention to this issue because of safety. Was really torn about where to post it as I hope anyone with a large I beam constructed trailer will take the time to just take a flashlight and look down the whole length of their beams for this. I found it by dumb luck, actually. Was putting my tire covers on for a 2 week vacation and jusy happened to see it. Have no idea how long it's been like this. Had an awesome conversation with John Miller who is listed as a contact on the XLR website. I was in no way threatening any legal action, nor do I expect either of them (FR or Lippert) to pay for this. I clearly want advice/ recommendations about the repair and as I told Mr. Miller, we were considering buying a new XLR, but depending on how this works out, why would I consider another one? Would like to know what sort of followup FR will do for this. Waiting for his response.... will let you guys know. Also, he suggested I wait and not take the underbelly apart yet, so that's on hold.
The thing is, whether you expect them to pay or repair it does not really matter it should still be reported to NHTSA you may find they already have a file open on this, if we expect units that are roadworthy we cannot leave the self regulation to the RV industry, they already fail miserably at this.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #23

So, thought I would update this. After talking to John Miler at XLR, I have heard nothing back from him. I did get contacted by their warranty dept. asking whether I had been contacted by Lippertt. This has now been over 1 month. Both FR and Lippert seem to have a main concern that I want them to pay for this. Look, I understand your lame warranty and know this is my headache. All I have been asking for is a specific instruction of what they recommend for a repair since I feel this is a CRITICAL repair. Lippert has spun this off to a new person (from my original contact), and she has pretty much been stringing me along with minimal responses and NO instructions. Now she wants to know a specific dealer I am going to?????? Told them previously it is going to a welding/fab shop as I wouldn't trust any RV tech to fix this. Waiting on her response yet again.

As a side note to all of this, we had begun looking at a new XLR 380AMP. Wife has decided she doesn't like this floorplan and we both liked the 380. (This was decided back on Memorial day, so frame issue had no bearing on decision as we didn't know about it yet). Mr. Miller spent a lot of our conversation trying to convince me to go to the Hershey RV show. The big question I never got answered was, if this happened now, and you offer me no solution and still use the same frame supplier, WHY WOULD I BUY ANOTHER ONE????
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
Happy Keystone Owner

After finding a rear spring hanger ripped away from the frame I found 4 more cracks in the frame just like yours. Going to the weld shop tomorrow.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #25
Happy Keystone Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	crack 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	88164

Name:	crack 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	88165

Name:	crack 3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	88166

Name:	crack 4.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	88167

My 4 cracks. 2013 Coachmen with 12000 miles

Name:	LR spring hanger 2.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	88168

Name:	LR spring hanger 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	88169
Spring Hanger

I believe my Chinese tires will out last my American made garbage that they support.

Years camping....55
Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #26

WOW that close up looks like a flaw in the steel.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #27
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
1/8 inch plate made to resemble an I-Beam.

Years camping....55
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #28

Does anyone know if there a problem with frames from other makes like heartland because I think Lippert makes frames for several manufactures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #29

Quite amazing. I know there has to be a lot of torque on the frame at suspension points, but if truly engineered, and if properly welded, we would not be seeing cracks.

By the way, John Miller (JAMiller) isn't a part of XLR anymore.

Early in the post, NHTSB was mentioned... the "manual" says it is our responsibility to contact them.

I've looked at my little 29HFS and there is no sign of cracks. This should make everyone to do a detailed check of their frames.

Gut feeling... FR has known about this and these units (especially 5th wheel toy haulers) should be recalled. This isn't like a sticky door or a decals that peel off; peoples lives ARE at stake.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #30

I'll be keeping a close eye on my 29xlr frame from now on ! if this is a issue becoming common with FR I see major recalls
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post

Gut feeling... FR has known about this and these units (especially 5th wheel toy haulers) should be recalled. This isn't like a sticky door or a decals that peel off; peoples lives ARE at stake.

Not sure how one XLR unit discussed on this forum, out of the thousands of units that are on the road, represents a major problem. Now if there were several hundred people on this thread with the same problem, you have a case.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Not sure how one XLR unit discussed on this forum, out of the thousands of units that are on the road, represents a major problem. Now if there were several hundred people on this thread with the same problem, you have a case.

The number of members with this model, on this forum, has to be a drop in the bucket compared to all that were built and one broken frame is one too many! I hope there is only one, but we can't know this for sure. Certainly one or two that come to our attention doesn't prove anything. Contacting NHTSB was proper.

I hope that this is corrected properly. A fixed crack with welding alone will not make a permenant fix. Something has to be done to improve the frame / structure with plates or gussets... something more than welding alone. I know jack squat about frame engineering, but I know this from experience. Welding changes the temper of the steel.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-10934.html

Forest River Structure Frame And Members

Trailer FRame cracked/buckled forest river won't repair it Review 178122 Sep 21, New York, New York, Flagstaff Travel Trailer @ Pissed Consumer

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...king-3468.html

A little searching will turn up lots of Lippert frame issues, and not only FR... granted some of these go back in time, but I didn't give it much time to prepare my case.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Or like someone dragged a cutting torch past the spot or attempted to dress a crack with a weld to hide it.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #34

I will look at the outside / exterior frame rails on my 380 Amp. Like WolfWhistle said it's not a simple, non-life threatening problem. And I also think that there is just a small fraction of the units sold that are on the forum.
Thanks for the heads up folks.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
The number of members with this model, on this forum, has to be a drop in the bucket compared to all that were built and one broken frame is one too many! I hope there is only one, but we can't know this for sure. Certainly one or two that come to our attention doesn't prove anything. Contacting NHTSB was proper.

I hope that this is corrected properly. A fixed crack with welding alone will not make a permenant fix. Something has to be done to improve the frame / structure with plates or gussets... something more than welding alone. I know jack squat about frame engineering, but I know this from experience. Welding changes the temper of the steel.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-10934.html

Forest River Structure Frame And Members

Trailer FRame cracked/buckled forest river won't repair it Review 178122 Sep 21, New York, New York, Flagstaff Travel Trailer @ Pissed Consumer

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...king-3468.html

A little searching will turn up lots of Lippert frame issues, and not only FR... granted some of these go back in time, but I didn't give it much time to prepare my case.

WW
Suppose, you come up with a hundred different scenarios on the web, of individuals with a cracked frame. I'm not sure of the current number of RVs out there, but in 2011 there were an estimated 8.9 million residents in the US with RVs. I'm quite certain that number has grown considerably. Doubt they will make a recall. I'm not saying they shouldn't look at the issue, I'm just being realistic. As for the OP, I wouldn't bother waiting on Lippert or FR as to finding a correct procedure to repair it. I would take it to a frame shop and just have them repair it. I'm sure they will over engineer a fix, and it's not like you have a warranty you have to worry about voiding.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #36

Oh boy! I'm not suggesting 8.9 million needs to be recalled. Not all sport Lippert frames. But someone posting a problem like this should make us want to some checking.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sure, you can check your frame, as you should check all systems of your RV on a regular basis, but you were talking complete line recall and I think you jumped way overboard on the situation.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #38

Is the frame problem with a certain model or floor plan? Which side of the RV has the crack right or left? I know that Lippert is making the frames for all of the RV manufacturers in Indiana.
Just curious if it was a design flaw on where the worlds are in aspect of a large slide or near the hitch end or the rear near the ramp section. Just trying to see if it can be narrowed down. Hope no one gets hurt from this.

egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #39
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
...... The big question I never got answered was, if this happened now, and you offer me no solution and still use the same frame supplier, WHY WOULD I BUY ANOTHER ONE????
Exactly! They don't get it. A frame is not suppose to break. My Lippert frame sheared the front crossmember for the pinbox.
I got the same run around for over a month in the dead of winter.

Anyways they put a bad taste in my mouth.
I ended up repairing it myself making it 4 times as strong.

When you get that repaired have it plated and then the web and flange boxed in the spring mount areas of the I beam. Also, if it isn't already, install steel tubing crossmembers from left to right at the spring mount areas. There's alot of stress when you turn sharp and the tires "scrub" sideways. This is what I believe caused your cracks in that cheap high carbon Chinese steel.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #40

A-man, if this was a Toyota Camry, I bet the line would be recalled. The entire line of this model should be recalled IMO in case I wasn't clear.

Has anyone found the PDF from FR on how the repair should be accomplished? Its only 2 pages. WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
2012, frame