Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

2012 Thunderbolt frame issue

Never posted pictures on here, so I hope this works. Contacted warranty department about obvious structural quality defect. Got forwarded to LCI for review and got the standard "unit out of warranty, past 1 year". Explained to them I know the warranty is 1 year, but this being the MAIN component of the rig and an obvious supplier/factory defect I thought FR may step up and do the right thing. Asked for a photo of the frame sticker, which I sent them, and now I cannot get a response from anyone. Not asking them to replace the thing, but I will have to take it to a frame specialty shop and thought they might consider paying part of it. Not sure what my next move is. I am not a consumer who takes things like this lying down. Have already initiated a claim with the NHTSB. Only way we as consumers are going to stop getting abused by these companies is to fight with whatever tools we have, not complain on a website or forum that has no input into the industry. I am clearly not here bashing anyone, just think as consumers we have responsibility to report abuse truthfully and perhaps that way get this industry to change.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

The pic didnt come through. Id be interested in seeing it.......

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #3

Tried attaching it directly to the post. Is there some other place I need to access to post pictures? Only thing I can see is add video below message box, and that didn't work. Pretty visible crack, about 3 inches long about 2 inches up from bottom of I beam. Not to be an alarmist, but hope people will check their frames from front to back. I just had the unit inspected, and mechanic never saw it.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #4

I only know how to do it from my iphone app, sorry not much help....

Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I only know how to do it from my iphone app, sorry not much help....
Well, I got it uploaded its in my gallery. Can't figure out how to import it to this thread. Will try figuring it out. Recently fractured my heel so I have lots of time to sit on my butt and do nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0292.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	86445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0291.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	86446  
Old 08-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

So there ya go. Haven't ripped the underbelly off yet to see what inside looks like, but as you can see this is not the result of any heat or contact damage. Clearly a bad I beam from the factory, supplier. That shackle mount is the backaxle on the driver's side.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

Oh, wow, I havent seen a crack like that in a frame. Im interested in the outcome of this. Keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What model is your XLR and what did you typically haul in the garage? Interested to see if there is a cross member welded in at that location also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

Well, not sure if the traffic safety board contacted them or what because suddenly I can't get a response from anyone. Left e-mails, voice mails, and nothing. Simply amazing.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Well, not sure if the traffic safety board contacted them or what because suddenly I can't get a response from anyone. Left e-mails, voice mails, and nothing. Simply amazing.

Not sure, but at the slightest hint of legal action, most attorneys will advise companies (and individuals) to stop all communication. This is simply a legal defensive mode. Not saying this is what they are doing, just a possibility. It's what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
What model is your XLR and what did you typically haul in the garage? Interested to see if there is a cross member welded in at that location also.
Actually, Aqua man the crack isn't anywhere near the garage. It is directly under the back of the living room slide. But to answer your question only thing I ever hauled was a 650 pound street bike, and one trip I took that and my daughter's 400 pound crotch rocket. And there is no mention of legal action on my part. Only thing I did as a concerned consumer is report a wrongdoing by a manufacturer that I believe is a CRITICAL safety hazard.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #12

Is that a 10" or 12" frame?

egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Pretty sure it's 12 inch I beam. Guess I am going to have to start taking the underbelly off to see what's inside. Would like to report on response from FR or Lippert, but as of Friday there is now 0 contact from either of them.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #14

I bet there is something welded on the inside (bracket. Rail. Etc) weakening the steel and the spring hanger bracket twists the frame when turning or swaying. Looks like the frame wasn't engineered beefy enough at that spot. I assume the frame is okay on the other side (?) It also seems to me the large opening in the wall structure for the slide would place more load at the frame at each end of the opening.

I also agree with others that communication will stop at even a hint of legal action. A letter to NHTSB could put FR into legal defensive mode.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How long have you've been trying to get in contact with FR? Sometimes it can take a while, as they are trying to solve issues before they move on to new ones, or your place in line just hasn't come up yet. Be persistent, and remember they are there to help you, not hinder you.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #16

Well, as I've said before. our toyhauler is not from Forest River. I got here originally because the one we are looking at is from Forest River. Ours has a fairly light frame, 7500 pounds max gross, and only hauls toys a couple times a year. I suspected an overloaded as we are developing a similar crack and often the kids toys put it over gross.

Let us know what comes of your inspection and by all means let us know what you are hauling back there in the garage
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #17

Timeline goes like this. Sent e=mail to FR warranty on Aug 3. Was forwarded to LCI (Lippert) and received e-mail from their rep stating unit out of warranty by 3 years. Aug 6 reply Lippert may be able to help with tech support possible repair parts, but need photo of frame sticker. Since I am immobile, had to wait for my son to come over and take photo. Sent frame photos Aug. 6. And that is when all communication from Lippert and FR stopped. Have sent multiple e-mails, left phone messages, and now have a call in to John Miller at XLR. Called Lippert this am, not relating who I was or what my unit ID was. Said when I take it to a frame shop they should call Lippert and they would possibly give them suggestions on repair. May be weekend until I can get someone to help remove the underbelly, but will post those pics as soon as I can.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
Always Learning

Not defending Lippert or FR, that was right around the time of the FROG rally and I know they both send quite a lot of folks to it. You could be caught in their backlog.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #19
DDC

This should be reported to NHTSA, if this lets go it could be catastrophic and it is unlikely that you have the only one.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
This should be reported to NHTSA, if this lets go it could be catastrophic and it is unlikely that you have the only one.
My main reason for posting this was to bring attention to this issue because of safety. Was really torn about where to post it as I hope anyone with a large I beam constructed trailer will take the time to just take a flashlight and look down the whole length of their beams for this. I found it by dumb luck, actually. Was putting my tire covers on for a 2 week vacation and jusy happened to see it. Have no idea how long it's been like this. Had an awesome conversation with John Miller who is listed as a contact on the XLR website. I was in no way threatening any legal action, nor do I expect either of them (FR or Lippert) to pay for this. I clearly want advice/ recommendations about the repair and as I told Mr. Miller, we were considering buying a new XLR, but depending on how this works out, why would I consider another one? Would like to know what sort of followup FR will do for this. Waiting for his response.... will let you guys know. Also, he suggested I wait and not take the underbelly apart yet, so that's on hold.

Tags
2012, frame