Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #11

You wax your tool shed once a month? Do you think I believe you wash and wax your rv every month ,Also I had a corvette that had 1500 miles on the tires and one blew out.Because I never drove it tires rotted ,By no way am I saying the tires they use are great.By the way I drive just fine I don't need to learn the size of my rig.I just read the posts about how this is crap and that is crap ,lawsuit here,people complaining but that's fine.You have a 2011 rig ( with different stickers) you have a roof leak that you should have found during one of your two full maintance days ,Fix it,Clean up the mess ,Buy a new mattress.Then go back to complaining about my spelling.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Whoa now......everybody....play nice! Nobody likes hav'n water intrusion problems.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Ok ok guys let's each take a step back. You have both made your points to each other now let the argument go. You can get some good help here, the site team doesn't want to close this thread down or delete a bunch of posts if it can be avoided. Best of luck with the repairs.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
Left Coast

So whats your plan of action?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to tlhintoq
Not trying to war with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisfactory View Post
You wax your tool shed once a month? Do you think I believe you wash and wax your rv every month
I said nothing about what I think you believe. But yes, I wash and wax my $75,000 investment every month. Along with my Dodge Ram Dually and my wife's Dodge Charger 100th Annv. Edition. All together they amount to around $150,000 in assets: OF COURSE I take care of that. Who wouldn't?

Not that it matters but:
  • While I have the pressure washer out, am wearing my 'outdoor work clothes', etc. I also do a quick once-over of the house siding. It just seems that as long as I've gone through the trouble of getting out all the gear, unrolled 100' of pressure hose, etc. I might as well take care of everything I need to.
  • I also change the oil in my lawn mowers and chain saws that weekend. Ten bucks in oil is pretty cheap maintenance to keep things running well.
  • I also add Rid-X to the septic system.
  • I also sharpen my chain saw chains.
  • Do I need to go on about my monthly maintenance regime?
I am in Northern Florida. Its a humid climate and thus requires a conscious effort to keep everything from turning green... from having hornets taking up home in the eves... and so on.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
So whats your plan of action?
Well for now the leak has stopped thanks to ample application of Flex Seal. Until the rainy season is over I don't think its feasible to remove the FlexSeal and redo it with something better like Dicor. Until I can do that better, more long-term repair I'm not going to put in any permanent bedsides. Maybe just a couple small wire-rack shelves so I can continue to observe the space behind. Plus the airflow would do the area some good.

The wall sconces are down and the bedside table cabinets have been removed, along with the mattress.

I used my snake-cam (flexi-shaft camera for looking inside walls, or down into engines etc.) to look into the void between the wall and the fiberglass nose-cone. I was even able to back towards the wall from the outside, to a small degree. The wall and all the interior space seems remarkably undamaged; probably because its a vertical surface so there was no pooling.

I can de-mold the edge of the bed pedestal so I don't have to replace that. The mattress took some work but has scrubbed up clean. The mattress pad and other bedding took most of the damage and was thrown out.

I need to clean the carpet from under the bed and under where the bedsides were. Once clean I can decide if it needs to be replaced or not.

After I can do a more professional re-seal of the roof seam, I think I'm going to make new bedside cabinets that go floor-to-ceiling. You can never have too much storage in an RV. I might even add a small shelf spanning the two cabinets at the ceiling for a video projector. I'd like to take the LCD off the wall at the foot of bed and a projector would mean a larger screen size with nothing hanging off the wall to be in the walk-way.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #17
Left Coast

Sorry about the water damage.....but, sounds like you at least have a plan....more than a lot of folks who would just throw up there hands and walk away....that seam leak would of been hard to detect on any trailer.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #18

Thanks Bob - its much appreciated.

If I were still taking this rig on the road regularly I would be more inclined to drive to the factory in Indiana and camp out in the parking lot until they made it right. But as it is now a permanent cottage on my acreage I'll just make all the repairs myself. I'm done fighting. All that energy and rage is better spent on other things like doing repairs.

In an absolute worst-case scenario: For all the time and trouble and expense of going to the factory and staying in a hotel while they do the work I can build a pole-barn over the top of the rig and extend it out to give myself a ton of coverage for other things. Maybe even a small work shop to one corner.

I might even do the pole-barn anyway, even if the repairs are all good. It will keep the RV cool reducing the load on the air conditioners, keep the sun off the paint, keep it dry and so on. Suddenly a 10 year lifespan becomes 30 for the rig.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #19

Keeping an RV under a roof is the best way to protect your investment. Thintoq I'm a Floridian... Where do you make your home here?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #20

Hey WolfWhistle. I'm in Anthony, just North of Ocala. Its not a huge property; only 2.5 acres. About half of that is Oaks. I call it my list forest.

If you look at the attached jpg I have:
Front yard,
House
Middle yard,
Forest
Back yard & pond.

It is nice to have enough land to set up your own shooting range!

What about yourself? Where is home?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerial-Property-Closer.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	88296  

Tags
2012, bed, roo, water, electrical