Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dhatfield6
Question 2013 Thunderbolt XLR 380 AMP (Grey & Black water Tanks)

Can any one else owning a '13 XLR 380 AMP can explain to me why I have 2 grey water tank level indicators and one black water tank level indicator inside the unit. Yet inside the service compartment (on the outside the RV) on the drivers side I have only 1 each dump valve for grey and black.

BUT if you look back behind the wheels on the drivers side as well there is another T handle valve which dumps BLACK water, which must be from the 1/2 bath toilet.

Dazed and confused, but that does not surprise me! lol
[FONT=Arial]Trips in 2013-(4) Nights Camped-(56) Trips in 2014-(5), Nights Camped-(60)
Trips in 2015-(4) Nights Camped-(44) Trips in 2016-(2) Nights Camped-(17)
dhatfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

The one black tank level gauge inside rv is for the front bath,one grey tank gauge is for shower and sink in front bath ,the second grey tank gauge is for the garage toilet ,sink and kitchen sink ,
So the pull stations in the compartment black water handle dumps toilet only,the grey water handle dumps shower and bathroom sink,
The pull station behind wheels dumps kitchen sink,garage toilet and garage sink.
Mantisfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

Then your saying that the grey water tank 2 for the 1/2 bath in the garage is not actually grey water at all?
[FONT=Arial]Trips in 2013-(4) Nights Camped-(56) Trips in 2014-(5), Nights Camped-(60)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

[QUOTE=dhatfield6;561909]Then your saying that the grey water tank 2 for the 1/2 bath in the garage is not actually grey water

When you dump your tank with the handle that's located Behind the wheels you are dumping grey and black .The kitchen and the garage toilet dump into one tank only .So it would be mixed.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Sorry I didn't answer question ,Yes it's not actually grey water.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

I would not want to eat anything out of your rig if the kitchen sink drains to a black tank. I would check with the dealer, your rig shows 1 back tank and 2 gray. I would bet the one in the back is the gray water from the kitchen. Better safe then sorry.
revflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by revflyr View Post
I would not want to eat anything out of your rig if the kitchen sink drains to a black tank.

Out of curiosity, why not?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Out of curiosity, why not?
X2
- my whole house, 4 bathrooms, 2 washing machines, and kitchen- all drain into 1 septic tank. An rv like a house has p-traps at all fuxtures, EXCEPT the rv toilet.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

My issue would be if you overfilled your waste tank it would back up into the sink. When that happens there is no air on either side of the p-traps and the black waste could reach the sink. I would also think the p-traps could dry out when not in use in area's like Arizona.
I did a search online because we also had bought a new xlr and found that there are some rv makers running both the black and gray into the same tank to save money on plumping. It said that it would be gray water from the bathroom sink and shower into the black. The kitchen would be the gray water tank.
I have to say that surprised the heck out of me that they would mix the two to save a few $$.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by revflyr View Post
My issue would be if you overfilled your waste tank it would back up into the sink. When that happens there is no air on either side of the p-traps and the black waste could reach the sink. I would also think the p-traps could dry out when not in use in area's like Arizona.
I did a search online because we also had bought a new xlr and found that there are some rv makers running both the black and gray into the same tank to save money on plumping. It said that it would be gray water from the bathroom sink and shower into the black. The kitchen would be the gray water tank.
I have to say that surprised the heck out of me that they would mix the two to save a few $$.

An overfilled tank is going to backup into the toilet first, being the lowest point, followed by the next lowest point, like a shower. It would never reach the kitchen sink without flooding the trailer first.

But still, if it's got black going into it, it should really be labeled black, not grey. I have heard of some sites allowing people to drain grey to ditches. I'd hate to be around the site where somebody allowed that tank to drain to a ditch instead of dumping at a station.

Easiest way to test is to dump with a clear elbow. If you see 'stuff' then it's black. If not, it's grey. Of course you'll need to put 'stuff' in the toilet for that test.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #11

I have the clear elbow and this is exactly how I determined that the so called grey tank 2 included black water. I have 2 messages on Forest Rivers Diane Daly's phone waiting for a n explanation to my findings.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #12

Rv toilets have ball valves to seal the bowl, so my way of thinking the next low point in a 5th wheel would be the kitchen sink.
I can not think of a boat or rv that that I have ever owned that shared kitchen with black. Just don't feel its the safest set up.
Good luck with your new rig, ours has been back to the dealer 4 times since we picked it up 12/4/13. Replaced water tank do to leak, replaced part of under belly do to hyd leak, Electrical problem draining batteries and the last one toilet bowl would not seal.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatfield6 View Post
I have the clear elbow and this is exactly how I determined that the so called grey tank 2 included black water. I have 2 messages on Forest Rivers Diane Daly's phone waiting for a n explanation to my findings.

Ok, so labelling is definitely an issue. Second test (preferably at a full hookup site):

Starting with empty tanks, run nothing but the kitchen faucet for about a 1/2 hour. Confirm it's draining to the same grey tank 2.

If so, I agree with revflyr that there's a contamination risk. Not so much actual sewage backup, I still doubt it'll make it the kitchen sink, but more just the easy path for bacteria. P-traps only hold back sewer gases, they're not a filter.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #14

Just off the phone with Diane Daly @ Forest River. Verified it is the kitchen sink, 1/2 bath sink and toilet going to what Forest River has clearly identified as "Grey Water 2".
I asked her where the water from the washer went and "believe it or not" she said directly on the ground! But she is verifying this I said it couldn't be.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

On my rig the front black and grey tank are labeled,the tank behind wheels is not labeled at all.Like the above post says any house that is on septic drains grey and black water into one tank without any problems.Im not worried about eating my food.But again maybe they should label the back tank grey/black.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhatfield6 View Post
Just off the phone with Diane Daly @ Forest River. Verified it is the kitchen sink, 1/2 bath sink and toilet going to what Forest River has clearly identified as "Grey Water 2".
I asked her where the water from the washer went and "believe it or not" she said directly on the ground! But she is verifying this I said it couldn't be.

Yes the waste water from the washer bypasses any tanks and goes right to the discharge line,in no way does the washer water go into a tank.so don't wash clothes unless you are hooked to sewer ,if your not hooked to sewer and the discharge cap is on you will flood your trailer.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Well, that confirms that. Sink is plumbed to the same tank.

I realize that septic systems in houses run this way, but I have never seen a house with a kitchen sink only a few feet away from the septic system.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #18

2013 Thunderbolt XLR 380 AMP (Grey & Black water Tanks)

Just finished confirming by filling that the kitchen sink, 1/2 bath sink, and 1/2 bath toilet fill back tank which is identified as grey 1 inside RV and dumped by valve behind the wheels. Which leaves only the toilet in the main bath filling the black tank with the level indication in the RV.
Grey water 2 is only the main bath sink and shower.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #19

Good information to have as a 380amp owner!
jb4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #20

Might I point out that if you use a reverse flush hose attached to your discharge point (main hose out to drain) to flush tanks one at a time...... water will come out vent pipe in garage where washer hookup is...... not sure if left on long enough water would backup into kitchen sink .....
Should have been two tanks in my opinion, a smaller one for toilet in half bath. Profit would have been less though.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, black, black water, tank, water, water tank