Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

2013 xlr xlt 27 hfs

Just ordered new toyhauler to be delivered mid August,just wondering what to expect when it arrives(flaws,proplems,modifications,ect.)
fnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you get to enjoy your camper very much. As for what to expect, can't help you much. They all seem to have a problem or two. Some dealers are better than others at getting things fixed. Just find a Pre Delivery Checklist, PDI, that covers everything, and take it with you when you pick up the camper. There several posted on here, so a search should bring them up. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

I have a 2012 model and already regret it.

Remount the cabinet door hinges with machine screws and the latches with larger wood screws before the doors fall off. Be very careful not to strip them like the factory did. Use toggle bolts to remount fire extinguisher before it falls off the wall.

Dump the dinette seat cushions. Buy new extra firm foam or replace the whole bench immediately with something comfortable. Replacement cushions from FR are the same junk as original. I'm getting euro recliners.

Cargo capacity is 1600 lbs but with an 800 lb atv and some gear in the garage, the 7000 lb axles are carrying 7360 lbs. Wonder how long that will last.

My refrigerator/freezer won't keep ice cream from melting and the gas tank fuel gauge shows empty with 6 gal. left in it.

Enjoy!
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #4

Just went to dealership where I ordered my XLR and crawled under to look at axles,they had 1 older one with 5200# axles but the new ones are 4400# axles dont know why the advertise 3500# axles.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

You had my hopes up. Checked my axles and they are stamped 3500#. Booo. Bought it new in Jan. '12. Maybe they upgraded since then.

I threw the dinette out already. Put in 2 Euro recliners and turned the table 90 degrees to the wall. Added a latch to the wall to keep the table from wobbling so bad that drinks would spill if you bumped it.

I overlooked something else when I bought this...the only water fill is a city connection. There is not a large open tube to allow adding water from a can which is a real problem when dry camping like I do a lot. Can't leave home with the tank full or it's overloaded. I considered adding another fill tube but haven't figured out how to route it as the tank is under the slide and I would have to go through the wheel well. This trailer is a weekender at best. Not made for a couple weeks in the mountains.

Do I sound disgusted with it? You bet. Some of the shortcomings were overlooked by me when I bought it, but the trailer really doesn't meet very high build standards. It will cost me some extra money but I'm probably going to have to get rid of it and find something suitable.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Sorry to hear that,I was worried thats why I went and looked,the sales lady said the changed them a few months ago. It might be worth it to check dealer and see if you can get an update. The sticker on the side says 9676#GVWR.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
10x

Whats the story with the axles, did they update them?
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #8

I hope so,the sales lady said they started putting 4400# axles in a couple of months ago,all the new ones on their lot have them and I will be checking mine when it comes in.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnron View Post
I hope so,the sales lady said they started putting 4400# axles in a couple of months ago,all the new ones on their lot have them and I will be checking mine when it comes in.
I still do not understand what the difference is, what does 4400 mean?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #10

With 2 3500lb axle you only get 7000 lbs on the axles and a total gvwr of 8076lbs and with 2 4400lb axles you get 8800lbs on the axles and a total gvwr of 9676lbs= more cargo capacity, but most half tons arent rated for that much(witch is what they advertise)
Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
10x

Thanks, I did not realize that they are made for 1/2 ton trucks.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #12

The 27 HFS is considered 1/2 ton tow-able. It's gvwr is well within the tow weight limit but you need to be very careful of the weight on the tow vehicle rear axle. With 2 passengers, fuel, a few things in the bed, and a generator in the carry tray, the rear axle of a 1/2 ton pickup can be overloaded very easily. Some of the newer 1/2 tons have a greater load capacity and may be ok.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #13

My old Avalanche had only 7200# towing cap. But my new 1/2 ton Silverado is good for 10,500# so im not too worried handles my Weekend Warrior FS2500 just fine was just referring to their selling point that could get some people in trouble if they load it up.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #14

If you want to add water to your tank when your in the middle of nowhere it's not that hard, we do it in our class c every weekend. Run 12 volt wires from your battery over to the fill spot, buy a water pump (I got the exact replacement for my rv so I always have a spare) mount it to a piece of wood, put a small hose on one side to go to your rv and a hose on the other to put in your cans. Takes about 15 minutes to pump in 30 gallon.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #15

Thanks motocrosscamper...I'm so disappointed with this trailer it's too often easier to list my grievances than to come up with a fix. Good tip. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #16

I understand! The wife and i talked about buying new but we are extremely happy with the quality of the one we have so we figure we might as well drive this one into the ground before we deal with the headaches of buying new.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
10x

Thanks Rotech, I have my eyes on a KZ mxt. I am trying to locate a dealer that has one in stock so I can see it.

I own a KZ now, and its been a great trailer.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #18

So after seeing threads like this, I was ready to sell my 3 month old 2013 27hfs. After checking the axel, turns out I got lucky and have the 4400#'ers. I haven't had any cabinet doors fall off, but they didn't line up my shower door lock right. That I will have to fix. I got the fuel option and so far so good. One thing I did find, was the HW heater want plugged in, and that was after their PDI. One big disappointment was the 9' garage. There are other trailers out there with 10' garages.
Toy Haulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

Toy Haulin...They must have seen the deficiency of the early models and changed in 2013. I measured out the garage area before buying and knew it would be tight. Of course it's even tighter with walls around. But, it works for my dirt bike and atv although ten feet would be a lot better. I've seriously thought about selling my trailer, too, but have made so many mods and improvements, I hate to give that all away. I have a request in to Forest River to help me upgrade the axles. They've been good about sending me replacement parts so far. I have located a used pair of 4400's. I hope they are still available if FR doesn't come through.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #20

I'm also trying to determine how the slide out of the 27HSF could be manually operated if something fails in the drive mechanism.