Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

201327hfs Electrical Issue - Not charging battery

Hi all,

I've had my Hyperlite XLR 27HFS in storage for over 2 years and just recently got it out to camp in. I had a dead battery when I arrived and started setting everything up, which I replaced given the age of the current battery.

Everything seemed to work just fine... until I noticed the battery was draining, which was essentially running the heater and everything, even though the unit was plugged into shore power.

For some reason, the shore power is not charging the battery. The last time I used the trailer was over 2 years ago, which was a dry camping trip and I used the Onan factory installed on-board generator.

I check and reset one of the fuses on the front tongue by resetting the small black button on the bottom, because at one point I lost all 12v power after tightening all connections.

Question... Is there something I'm forgetting to switch back since I'm on shore power and not on generator? Could it be the power converter that's bad, which is not charging the battery? If so, is that located next to the fuse panel? All fuses on the panel are correct.

Thoughts on next steps? I'm no electrician, but feel as though I should be able to trace this down to something.

Thanks!
jwhitemx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitemx15 View Post
Hi all,

I've had my Hyperlite XLR 27HFS in storage for over 2 years and just recently got it out to camp in. I had a dead battery when I arrived and started setting everything up, which I replaced given the age of the current battery.

Everything seemed to work just fine... until I noticed the battery was draining, which was essentially running the heater and everything, even though the unit was plugged into shore power.

For some reason, the shore power is not charging the battery. The last time I used the trailer was over 2 years ago, which was a dry camping trip and I used the Onan factory installed on-board generator.

I check and reset one of the fuses on the front tongue by resetting the small black button on the bottom, because at one point I lost all 12v power after tightening all connections.

Question... Is there something I'm forgetting to switch back since I'm on shore power and not on generator? Could it be the power converter that's bad, which is not charging the battery? If so, is that located next to the fuse panel? All fuses on the panel are correct.

Thoughts on next steps? I'm no electrician, but feel as though I should be able to trace this down to something.

Thanks!

Have you tried firing up the generator to see if starts the converter and charging the battery? This would show quickly if the converter is bad.

When you used the generator last, does it have a transfer switch that prioritizes power from either the generator or shore power? Or do you have to manually unplug the shore power cord end from the generator?

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. The generator was factory installed and I don’t believe there is a switch that needs set for shore or gen power, but I honestly can’t remember.

There is a switch in the generator itself (right side of Onan 4000), but I can’t remember.

Good idea regarding testing the generator to see if charging works.
jwhitemx15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, battery, charging, electric, electrical