Old 08-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #1

2014 386x12 XLR

Just came back from a trip in New Hampshire, on our way back to Pa coming down 209 in the Delaware water gap the rear axle on the trailer fell off ! Yes the right rear leaf spring just blew apart and the axle slid back to the hanger and bent the hell out of the body. This was at 1:30 am I was with my wife two small kids and two dogs luckily I was traveling with another friend as well. I have the 6point level up system so I blocked up under the jacks and lifted the entire camper off the ground. Unbolted everything put the axle back in place and walked back down the dark road to find the missing leafs after a 45 min hike we did find all the parts bolted everything in place and took our chances making it home. Now what really pisses me off is there obviously isn't any quality checks done by Forest River or Lippert because there is absolutely no excuse for this to happen!! That should be a Federal motor vehicle requirement to make sure they guarantee the safety and security of every vehicle they manufacture. Luckily all my things can be fixed but what about the next family going down the road at let's say 75 mph and the front axle comes apart that kind of failure will most likely cause them to roll over!! This kind of poor craftsmanship is not going to float with me I'm pissed and I'm going to the top brass with this one so if anyone has any input I'd like to here about it.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

All I can say is holy crap! I'm glad you and your family is safe. I agree, this needs to be looked into why this happened. I have no advice to offer other than hopefully you have photos of the damage and contact Lippert. FR may not be of any help as its Lippert's product that gave way. Please keeps us informed.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
All I can say is holy crap! I'm glad you and your family is safe. I agree, this needs to be looked into why this happened. I have no advice to offer other than hopefully you have photos of the damage and contact Lippert. FR may not be of any help as its Lippert's product that gave way. Please keeps us informed.
I would think that FR would have some responsibility as I think they install the axles on the frame. Thank God you and your family was not injured.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #4

Thanks , has anyone ever put there 386-12 on a scale? Cause something here just don't add up either the assembly wasn't tightened correctly or it's just under rated. I was on the scale with truck and trailer family, atvs, cargo and all now my fresh water and fuel tanks were not full at this time and i was just under 28k total at that number the three 6k axles are to small. Still have to weigh my truck alone it's a 2011 Chevy crew cab dually diesel to be sure but I don't think it's 10k. Just like some other options in this. Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #5

OH MY WORD! I am speechless! I can't even imagine! My husband would have been so upset...sooo scary! Your wife must have been equally upset. Our whole family is always 2gether and we would have been in awe. Thank the Lord everyone is okay and you and your friend!! Walking to find your parts!! Holy cow! Incredible story! We are scheduled to receive a XLR Viper 305K12 mid September. Our 2011 VCross has never given us any problems. I am a nervous wreck getting into something new not knowing what could happen. My goodness...what a story! Please update us when you can!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler8 View Post

I would think that FR would have some responsibility as I think they install the axles on the frame. Thank God you and your family was not injured.
False they do not install the axles.
Fr buys the frames ready to go per there spec.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shejam28 View Post
Thanks , has anyone ever put there 386-12 on a scale? Cause something here just don't add up either the assembly wasn't tightened correctly or it's just under rated. I was on the scale with truck and trailer family, atvs, cargo and all now my fresh water and fuel tanks were not full at this time and i was just under 28k total at that number the three 6k axles are to small. Still have to weigh my truck alone it's a 2011 Chevy crew cab dually diesel to be sure but I don't think it's 10k. Just like some other options in this. Thanks again!
What is the weight specs on your camper?

Sorry about your issues.

Turbs
Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

18k gross , warranty dept told me Forest River installs them. I even tried to
Upgrade the axles when I ordered this unit but was told by the XLR rep
They can't up them to 7k axles and there's no reason I should need them.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have you not weighed the camper and truck fully loaded and ready to camp to find out what your actual weights are?
Not just the gcwr.

Truck front axle hooked to trailer
Truck rear axle hooked to trailer
Camper axles hooked to truck

Truck front axle not hooked to trailer
Truck rear axle not hooked to trailer

If your 30, 000 gcwr and you don't believe your tv is 10, 000 then to me it appears you've over loaded the camper?
But without a proper scale session you'll not know.

Turbs
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #10

No only together I'm going to take truck and do it now that this happened but either way 28k combined is to heavy for 3 , 6k axles its just to close