Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 74
My 2012 F-150 Ecoboost FX4 with tons of options has a payload capacity of 1,574. I had it weighed and found that it can actually carry more. It weighs 6,000 lbs empty with a full 36 gallons of fuel. GVWR is 7650. So that's 1,650. I guess they figure a driver into the calculation. I was not able to get the Heady Duty Payload package with the Max Tow Package when I ordered mine. I have heard that it is now possible.
The heavy Duty Payload adds another 500lbs to the payload capacity by bumping up the GVWR to 8,200 lbs.

I had a 2008 F250 CC SB Diesel before the F-150. 3/4 ton trucks can be a bare for everyday driving, especially when it comes to the F250 turning radius. I have no regrets. I towed a 35' 5th wheel toyhauler with the F-250 and hated it. We like to venture of the interstate and found that getting fuel at the little gas stations was very stressful. 5th wheels tow wonderfully, but they do not turn well.
__________________

__________________
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
My 2012 F-150 Ecoboost FX4 with tons of options has a payload capacity of 1,574. I had it weighed and found that it can actually carry more. It weighs 6,000 lbs empty with a full 36 gallons of fuel. GVWR is 7650. So that's 1,650. I guess they figure a driver into the calculation. I was not able to get the Heady Duty Payload package with the Max Tow Package when I ordered mine. I have heard that it is now possible.
The heavy Duty Payload adds another 500lbs to the payload capacity by bumping up the GVWR to 8,200 lbs.

I had a 2008 F250 CC SB Diesel before the F-150. 3/4 ton trucks can be a bare for everyday driving, especially when it comes to the F250 turning radius. I have no regrets. I towed a 35' 5th wheel toyhauler with the F-250 and hated it. We like to venture of the interstate and found that getting fuel at the little gas stations was very stressful. 5th wheels tow wonderfully, but they do not turn well.
The 27 has a tounge weight of a 1,000# before you even load it with any thing and that's not including the wdh or your family "Its to much camper for your truck.
Imo the 24 isn't far behind it with a 500# hitch weight.
Average user added weight is a 1000# and that does not include wdh, propane, battery/batteries, carried water etc etc.
Do yourself a favor and get it scaled after its fully load and ready to camp.
I bet your surprised at what you find.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 74
I see your point, but some toyhaulers have heavier empty hitch weights because they know that heavy toys will likely be be added behind the trailer axles. Thus removing some of the hitch weight. If the optimal hitch weight is 12% and my fully loaded trailer with everything imaginable weighs 8,300 (empty it's 5,526), then my hitch will be 996 lbs. This leaves 654 lbs left for the family, which is more then enough. The 27 is only 250 lbs heavier, so I would assume that the hitch would be around 1,026 lbs.
__________________
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
The 27 is NOT too much trailer for the truck.
Not at all. My brother's ecoboost tows a 27ft tt just fine. Not a toy hauler, but his dry tongue weight was well over 1,000lbs and I believe he's somewhere around 8k loaded. Zero sway, breaks and handles fantastic. I have never been that impressed with a half-ton but the eco is legit. Tundra's with the 5.7 are fantastic too. My F-250 is on borrowed time.


__________________
2007 F-250 CC 6.0L 4x4
2008 Thor Transport 2850 5th TH
Cypres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypres View Post
Not at all. My brother's ecoboost tows a 27ft tt just fine. Not a toy hauler, but his dry tongue weight was well over 1,000lbs and I believe he's somewhere around 8k loaded. Zero sway, breaks and handles fantastic. I have never been that impressed with a half-ton but the eco is legit. Tundra's with the 5.7 are fantastic too. My F-250 is on borrowed time.


Just because you can doesn't mean you should.........



TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393590974986.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	46953  
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
Flite, The 74" is with only one bed. If you were to get the 2 bed option, I think it would be much lower, maybe 66". However, the 2 bed option is only like $200 more then the single, and it can be removed very easily. I thought about getting the 2 bed option just to have it in case I wanted it someday. We will only be putting our SxS in the back about half of the time. We have 2 young girls and it's just a matter of time before they want to bring their friends along too.
Good to know. Were going to go to some RV dealers this weekend and get some more info. If it's only a couple hundred bucks for the second bed, I would just do that. Even if it just stays upstair at the house most of the time.
__________________
Flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.........
Yep, sh-t happens, and no setup is 100% immune....




__________________
Ministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ministry View Post
Yep, sh-t happens, and no setup is 100% immune....
Aint that the truth...I've seen more idiots make mistakes when they are over-confident in their setups...
__________________
2007 F-250 CC 6.0L 4x4
2008 Thor Transport 2850 5th TH
Cypres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 112
I have nearly the same truck and I went with the 24 as well. 500 pounds of hitch weight saved over the 27 is huge! I also found the flip down dinette seats more comfy than the u-dinette.

Sure, I miss the extra room but despite what everyone says about the outstanding Eco boost I would not want to tow more than the 24.

I did get the extreme package but I also understand your reasoning not to. I appreciate the extra sound proofing.
__________________
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 5
I like the 24 a lot except the bathroom location. Does it feel like taking a dump in the middle of the kitchen?
__________________

__________________
Ministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.