Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #1

2014 Hyperlite 24HFS GVW?

I am in need of a toyhauler to carry my new CanAm Maverick and family of 4.
Because of the length of the Maverick SxS, I have narrowed it down to the 24HFS. The problem is, the weight of the Maverick (1,500 lbs), gear, water, etc. I am probably going to add around 2,800 lbs to the empty dry weight of the camper. According to the Hyperlite Brochure, the 24HFS has a carring capacity of just 2,522 lbs. Now, the 2013 brochure states that if the Extreme weather package (-EP) is added, then the carrying capacity will be 3,536. I am assuming, based on the '13 brochure, that the increased sized of the frame to 8" also increased the GVWR. I can not see any difference in the '13 and '14 year models. I have talked to several dealers about the GVWR of the '14 24HFS models with the Extreme Weather Package to see if the GVWR is greater. Some say yes, but the carrying capacity is the same and others say that the EP package actually takes 300lbs away from the carrying capacity.
I can not find another toyhauler out there that is decent quality that will fit our needs and can be towed by an Ecoboost F-150.
I would really like to talk with someone at the factory to get a confirmation before ordering a new camper I can't use. The dealers I have talked to are probably not getting the right help at the factory and don't really care.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Always Learning

If there is a "contact us" option on the manufacturers website, you can try that. Otherwise, maybe grab the warranty contact sheet that is floating around- call the warranty rep and see if he/she can put you in contact with a sales rep.

IMO, you want to find a camper in person and review the stickers on the side. See what kind of GVWR and cargo carrying capacity they state.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Unfortunately, I can not find a single unit that has the Extreme Weather package anywhere in the United States.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

I just got off the phone with Forest River.
Apparently they goofed on the brochure. The 2014 models all have the larger 8" frames where as the 2013 the 8" frame was an option with the Extreme Weather Package.
The carrying capacity listed in the current brochure for 2014. is listed as 2,522lbs.
However, the Current GVWR is 9,333lbs. With a typical dry weight of 5,675, that leaves a carrying capacity of 3,658lbs. That's 1,136lbs more then what is advertised.

I am still waiting for confirmation from the Forest River Engineer to what the actual carrying capacity is. When I do, I will post it.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Per Forest River:

"The hyperlite 24HFS has a carrying capacity of 3,700 lbs, not 2522"

This will make a difference for those of you like me that want to carry a SxS.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Always Learning

Thanks for tracking this down! Sounds like you're good to go from that perspective.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #7

I went ahead and just ordered a new 2014 24HFS. I think that I am going to be really happy with this trailer. I will be towing it with a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow Package. The way I have it figured, I believe that my total trailer weight will be around 8,500 lbs loaded with everything.
I am confident that my truck will pull it ok.

I searched high and low for a camper that could be towed with my truck, hold a CanAm Maverick SxS and have enough beds so that the dinette doesn't have to be used for a bed. I really hope this thing holds up.

Options include:

Kickstart Package
Adrenaline Package
15K BTU A/C
Grey Gel Coat
Single Electric Bed
Removable Cargo Carpet
Fuel Station

Dealer says 6 to 7 week lead time.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

Why not a 27FHS? Is the garage not big enough?
Cypres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypres View Post
Why not a 27FHS? Is the garage not big enough?
27hfs is too much for his tow vehicle.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
27hfs is too much for his tow vehicle.

Gotcha. Thought he said he had an ecoboost. nm
Cypres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypres View Post
Gotcha. Thought he said he had an ecoboost. nm
He said ecoboost, his F150 is not enough truck for the 27hfs
Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #12

I would love to have the 27HFS, but the garage is only 9' long.
My SxS is a little over 10' long.
My truck has a max tow rating of 11,200 lbs and a payload capacity of 1,650.
The 27 is NOT too much trailer for the truck.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #13

24hfs

We really like our 2013 XLR 24 HFS. We have the extreme weather package and Onan 4000 gen. Put a RZR XP900 inside. We pull with a Tundra 5.7 and it tows real good. No problems yet hope you enjoy.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #14

I was going to get the extreme weather package because in 2013 it included a higher payload capacity. Now that I found out that the standard has the same payload as a 2013 with the EP package, I decided not to.
As far as the onboard generator goes, I have a Honda EU2000 that should run the A/C or microwave. Just not both at the same time.
If the camper had more windows, then I probably would have ordered the EP package for the duel pane windows.

I have researched the Hecht out of this to make sure we like what we get.
This was the only camper that will fit our need and and be 1/2 ton towable.

I am glad to here that someone else is using the camper the same way that we intend to. I have not even seen one in person yet.
I like the fact that when my SxS is in the camper, the whole kitchen is accessible. Many other trailers would have made it impossible to use the microwave, sink, stove and fridge. Thus axing this from my list.

I was considering the Impact (Fusion) FZ260, but it's too heavy on the hitch.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
The 27 is NOT too much trailer for the truck.
Agreed. We have considered downsizing our existing F-250 diesel / 5th wheel combo to a an Ecoboost and smaller bumper pull toy hauler as 3 out of our group of about 7 desert camping families already have.

I have personally driven an Ecoboost w/ max tow properly setup (WD/Anti-Sway) with a 26ft Stellar toy hauler and it was flat out amazing. The 27FHS lighter than that, and is definitely on our short list when and if we pull the trigger. My F-250 is getting old, tired of dealing with the 6.0L and the daily driving of an F-150 is much more appealing. We make 6-7 camping trips a year and stay withing relatively flat driving areas around california. We feel at this point the F-250 is just overkill.

Normally I would agree that a 1/2 ton tow vehicle isn't the ideal solution to a 27ft or bigger toy hauler but the Ecoboost isn't your average 1/2 ton. No, it's not 3/4 but I would classify it as something more near the middle.
Ministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #16

I just signed up and was about to make a post similar to this one. I wonder if any of you could shed a little light on one bit of information I'm having a tough time finding out. I have narrowed down my purchase option to a Stealth 2515 or Hyperlite 24HFS. The one thing I can't figure out is the interior height of the garage area with the electric bed raised. I will be hauling a Polaris RZR that sits just under 6ft tall off the showroom floor. Add a roof, lightbar, and possibly different tires, and you could get a bit taller yet.

Does anyone know what the interior height of either of those two toy haulers in the garage area is? The Stealth looks taller, but I can't find any solid data on that. Again, I'm looking for that height WITH the electric bed installed and raised.

(Stealth 2715 is also an option, but I think that's at the very upper limit of what I want to tow with my truck. I've got a 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7 with every available tow option and E load rated tires.)
Flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #17

I looked at the stealth trailers as well. I didn't like the hitch weight at 936 lbs. Remember, that weight doesn't include, propane, battery(s) and Weight distribution hitch. Those right there add up to about 1150 lbs. According to the receiver on my truck, the maximum tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch is 1,150. You should check your receiver limits too.
I also wanted as much garage space as possible for my Maverick. The extra 4" on the Hyperlite will make a difference of bumping the tires into the cabinet or not.
As far as the electric bed goes, assuming that the 24HFS is the same as the 27HFS, it measures 74" from floor to bottom of bed in the raised position. I was able to lift the bed 3" higher with my hand. So if you need a little more clearance, then you can put a 2x4 under the sides of the bed when loading. I have also read on here that you can flip the bed rail mounting brackets to get a few more inches of clearance. This I can not prove yet though.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
I looked at the stealth trailers as well. I didn't like the hitch weight at 936 lbs. Remember, that weight doesn't include, propane, battery(s) and Weight distribution hitch. Those right there add up to about 1150 lbs. According to the receiver on my truck, the maximum tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch is 1,150. You should check your receiver limits too.
I also wanted as much garage space as possible for my Maverick. The extra 4" on the Hyperlite will make a difference of bumping the tires into the cabinet or not.
As far as the electric bed goes, assuming that the 24HFS is the same as the 27HFS, it measures 74" from floor to bottom of bed in the raised position. I was able to lift the bed 3" higher with my hand. So if you need a little more clearance, then you can put a 2x4 under the sides of the bed when loading. I have also read on here that you can flip the bed rail mounting brackets to get a few more inches of clearance. This I can not prove yet though.
74" leaves about 8" of clearance over a stock RZR to that's very doable. If that's the case with the 24HFS, my decision will be made. I prefer everything about the Hyper Lite over the Stealth (other than the bathroom), the rear height was just the only missing bit of info. Hopefully 74" holds true.

If anyone out there with a 24HFS can confirm this, that would be awesome.
Flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite View Post
74" leaves about 8" of clearance over a stock RZR to that's very doable.
Flite, The 74" is with only one bed. If you were to get the 2 bed option, I think it would be much lower, maybe 66". However, the 2 bed option is only like $200 more then the single, and it can be removed very easily. I thought about getting the 2 bed option just to have it in case I wanted it someday. We will only be putting our SxS in the back about half of the time. We have 2 young girls and it's just a matter of time before they want to bring their friends along too.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just out of curiosity what is the ccc or cargo carrying capacity of your ecoboost?

This sticker on door.
Mine says 2448#.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393534938620.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	46920  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote