Old 01-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
We put a TV mount up where it said above the stereo and it's been fine. Make sure the ground is even where you put the ramp down. I keep a couple of bricks in the garage to put under the ramp if needed. Don't leave your awning out if you're not there or at night. Get Maxxair vent covers. Check everything to ensure it's working before heading out. Use quality straps for the toys. Always make sure you have clearance to put out the slide and drop the ramp. Always make sure nothing is in the way of the slide inside such a cabinet door. Use a water filter. We have one on the hose in and a Brita on the faucet. Then you don't have to carry bottled water. Have some nightlights. Make sure you have the outside speakers off unless you want them on if you're outside. And if they're on outside keep them down. Just my $.02.

breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
If you have the garage "happy jack" bed, just remember it is not very strong. Young children ok but an adult puts alot of stress on the light weight frame. Just sit on the edge and you can see how bad it bows in the middle. I had to repair ours and it is really strong now. Easy fix if done before it cracks or breaks. If interested let me know and I can let you know how I fixed ours.
I would love to hear a description, and maybe some pictures, of what you did to repair/reinforce the garage bed. I'm betting all of us could benefit from that. I really hadn't thought about that bed being weak, but then, I don't sleep there--only the occasional guest. Let's see those mods!😉

2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #13
Here is the mod. I made to the rear bed. Mine broke when a 180 lb person sat down on the edge. It took me the better part of an afternoon to fix. I'm 6'5" 300 lbs and sit and sleep on it without any problem. With a full queen mattress on it now it is far more comfortable than the front bed.

I purchased (2) 8' 2"x2"x 1/8" aluminum angle stock. I picked mine up at an Ace hardware store. (About $50.00)

I then removed the factory screws from the side panels. They are under the covers that look like buttons. The covers just pop off exposing the screws. Then I removed the screws from under the Happy Jack end rails, about 10 or so on each end. This allowed me to lift the bed frame up from the end rails.

I then measured and cut the aluminum angle to span side to side resting fully on the end rails (approx. 86 1/2" each). I then slid the angle in between the bed frame and end rails spanning across from side to side. The bed frame is now supported on the ends by the factory supports and across side to side by the new angle stock.

I then reinstalled all the screws removed. I placed the side boards back in place and used it as templet to mark and predrill the mounting screw locations. Screw on the side rails and pop the covers back over the screws.

When mine broke both side rails also broke. That is why I mentioned taking care of it before it breaks is a lot less work. Removing all the staples to get the covers off cutting new wood and restapling is a pain.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150101_201221_281.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	68036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150101_195701_211.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	68037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150101_195438_929.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	68038  
John And Mary
2013 XLR 27 HFS

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (4)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #14
Site Team
Ditto on driveway camping being a good way to find out what you do need. Of course the elements of the campground will also play a role in this as well. Most people tend to upgrade the fresh water and sewer hoses right away.

Welcome to RVing!

Campground neighbors are a great resource! RVers are eager to help out another RVer especially new owners.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
Another welcome coming your way! We too are new to XLR but it's our 4th rig so seasoned on camping. To add to what everyone said about camping in the driveway, keep a detailed list when you are on your first trip of what you forgot. After a few trips you'll be making a list of things you don't need and start taking them back out....
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
Wheel chocks are a must. The rest is a good list.
rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #17
Welcome from Elizabethton, TN
Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #18
If you have a built in generator make sure the screen opening is clear. Mine had a plastic cover in it causing the generator to overheat and die.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #19
I suggest that you do a lot of reading and searching on this site. Lots and lots of good info and tips. Know how everything works and how to maintain it.. Some quick tips... Make sure wheel bearing have grease (should be buddy bearings) and lug nuts tight (not over) and tires at max pressure. You didn't tell us what you will be hauling... But, Watch your tongue weight... Keep it at least 10% of the GVWR... X2 on kabooms warning! My 2015 had the microwave not sitting on cabinet... Only supported by surround screws... Mic almost hit the floor. You can PM me anytime with specific questions... I don't know it all but I know someone who does!
XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
Check the valve for winterizing the plumbing. It should be located under the sink next to the water pump. Ours was put in reverse as was several other 27HFS owners. Many had theirs repaired at dealer but I chose to fix ours. It was very simple and took about 15 minutes. Just a heads up so you'll be prepared before you need to winterize. Happy camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Mike & Kim Kilday
11' F250 6.7 SD
15' XLR 27HFS EP
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote