Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

2015 Hyperlite 27hfs

New to the rv world and just scooped up a 2015 27hfs. So far I love the trailer but haven't camped yet.... Have you guys noticed any problems I should look out for? Also do I need to buy any essentials before I head out on my first trip. I have the water and sewer hoses. Also looking for best place to mount TV's in the living room and bedroom. Thanks for taking the time. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #2

If your new to camping, you need a lot to go camping. I was new to this last July ....
Here is a starter list...
Wheel chocks. Prevents camper from rolling when unhooked.
You will need a couple boards or the level boards at the camping store to help level the camper if your camp site is not level, you cannot expect the stabilizers to lift and level but they will only stabilize the camper while it is parked. You simply drive up on them to get it close. I also bought a small level to help get it right when I pull in the site.
You need the sewer dump hoses with elbow. Don't go cheap on this,
Water hose to hook up to city water. I also bought the elbow because it prevents the hose from kinking. I bought the white one that rolls up.
Also consider brass pressure regulator , this prevents city water line from over pressure your system. Just a couple dollars.
You probably have the electric line either 30 or 50 amp. My hfs is 30 amp, so I had to buy the 50 amp pigtail that allows you to hook up to 50 amp if that is all that is offered at the camp ground. I also plan to get a line conditioner that you plug in inbetween the power and camper to regulate the power. It can save your electronics. This is more expensive.
Black tank deodorizer. Drop one in each time you camp.
Don't forget camper toilet paper.
A couple good flash lights
I also bought a few short but wide sealed containers to hold the hoses, fresh water and another for black water and electric. This just keep things separate and less likely to contaminate.
Join Good SAMs club ASAP online .....you get a discount on fuel and discounts on all the stuff you need mentioned above at Campers World. They seem to be everywhere and with the discount they seem reasonable.
We have camped about 6 times in state camp grounds and this has been what we have found out what was needed.
You will probably hear more from more experienced campers. Good luck with it.......
John

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

Oh, regarding the tv, we kept the tv on the counter but have not committed to hanging them up yet due to weight. Not sure if they would pull off wall on the road bumps...
John.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #4

Congratulations and Welcome. As far as mounting tv's try this thread
Help with mounting TV's in the xlr forum.

As far as what you might need on your first trip "laurajean's list is a good starting point. A break-in set up and overnighter in the driveway is also a good idea. That way you can run into the house to get the items you need and make a list of the things you don't have.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (4)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:09 AM   #5

There are so many thin, lightweight TVs out there, I wouldn't worry about mounting them to the wall, just be sure to get some of those TV brackets to secure it while traveling. Lots of other starter lists on here too. Welcome to the family!
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Just a couple more thoughts on things to watch out for on your New XLR 27 HFS.

The cabinet doors can and will open during travel and if you open the slide without checking, the slide will catch on a door or handle. Not good, luckily my neighbor is a excellent wood worker. I replaced the hinges with the spring loaded type but found that I still depend on a velcro strap through the handles to secrue the doors during travel. Same holds true for the cabinet doors in the garage and bathroom.

If you have the garage "happy jack" bed, just remember it is not very strong. Young children ok but an adult puts alot of stress on the light weight frame. Just sit on the edge and you can see how bad it bows in the middle. I had to repair ours and it is really strong now. Easy fix if done before it cracks or breaks. If interested let me know and I can let you know how I fixed ours.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Yes for sure, if you can email me what you did to re-enforce that bed that would be great! Thank you! Bpepsu@hotmail.com
Psuburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #8

No problem. I'll take some photos and measurements tonight and e mail you.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #9

Thank you!
Psuburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #10

I had a problem with the decorative edge of the aft bed being loosened as folks get in and out of the bed, I simply added 5 L brackets with very small screws and it took care of it. I have not noticed the bowing in the bed but would like to know the fix when I check it out.
Thanks
John