Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

2016 29HFS manufacture issues

Greetings everyone. About 2 weeks ago my wife and I bought a brand new 2016 29HFS. A huge improvement from our 2010 Dutchman Aristocrat 27B. However, It seems to me that this TH was cheaply made. The middle pull out drawer on the pantry next to the slide already broke, the right side access door to the master bedroom keeps falling off the track, we've found nails sticking out of the wall next to the molding around the bathroom/garage door (like they tried to hit the molding with the nail gun but missed but left them there), when extending the awning the forward mechanism arm does not move fluidly like the rear and when the awning is about 3-4 away from the trailer the arm finally gives and makes a huge bang. My wife and I did notice the awning during our walk through and prior to pick up we were told it was fixed. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Unfortunately, the dealer could not get us in for warranty repairs prior to our annual Halloween camping trip. Thanks!
Bart98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Sorry you are having issues. The sliding doors are a known issue and I had to fix both of mine with hardware from Home Depot. I haven't had any drawer issues and other than the sliding doors I have very happy with mine. I have made several mods like shelves in the cupboards and bedroom closets, a silverware drawer below the stove top, a pull out laptop shelf in the slot beside the stereo unit, and changed the way the under the bed storage lid is hinged. Hope you get all of your issues fixed in a timely manner and get to use it soon.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

XLR Boost 29 QB

I bought a 2017 XLR Boost 29QB and had many issues.

1. Air Conditioner electrical short.
2. Blown tire and damage
3. Roof Leaking

These are the major items many other small issues.These were all on the 1st trip out in September 2016.

It is currently at the factory for repairs.

2016 Ford F350 DRW
2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low
rick03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

The competition is huge for these units and the factory pushs them out quickly with very little QC. Owning one is alot like mothers and child birth. labor pain is like when you find out poorly made they are and you fear you made a bad buying decision but with time this feeling is forgotten or overlooked when family fun time brings good times with great memories. You might learn like I did to fix the small things that you can. When I took delivery of mine with a thorough PDI, the first bump caused the microwave to nearly fall from the cabinet. It was only held with the trim / surround screws and was not sitting on the cabinet floor... with some scrap.1/2"plywood it was fixed. Sure I griped and complained but I soon realized no one was listening or cared. So, yes we have seen what you are seeing in Spades.
Ww

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Thank you so much. The 29HFS is my first brand new TT and just like you said WW I was thinking I made a bad decision. I'm sure we will have many many years of enjoyment using our XLR!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:39 AM   #6

Owning an RV almost requires a degree handyness. And, you might be very handy. If you run across a situation and need to bounce it off someone, don't hesitate to post on here. There isn't a dumb question although the replies can wander off the point. We learn from each other and many are happy to help.

My unit has only had minor issues: wrong axles - replaced by FR; I'm on my third AC. Screws stripped - a few; door slide - reattached by me; dozens of mods mostly for fun.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-20-2016, 05:14 AM   #7

B, I meant to add, you know warranty issues are arranged through your dealer , but FR has warranty reps assigned to specific lines and a contact list can be found on forum. I wouldn't touch things like the awning issue and while at the dealer have a list of all that needs done. Diane Daly - excellent! - is our rep. There is also an unofficial factory guy on the forum named bulletbob, if all else fails PM him. Keeping up with seams and seals falls on the owner so keep an eye on that. Its hard to see if a seam needs redone ... I found holes on the roof where the Dicor shrunk... use the right stuff ... silicon is a no-no. I plan to completely reseal everything every 2 to 3 years.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Bart98stang

WW, thank you again Sir. I'm pretty handy and I've retired from the Navy as a Communications Electrician so electrical is no problem if something arises. However, since it is under factory warranty I don't want to touch anything even the broken drawer and sliding door which I'm sure is an easy fix.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart98stang View Post
WW, thank you again Sir. I'm pretty handy and I've retired from the Navy as a Communications Electrician so electrical is no problem if something arises. However, since it is under factory warranty I don't want to touch anything even the broken drawer and sliding door which I'm sure is an easy fix.
After reading a lot of reviews on different manufactures, I determined they all seem to suffer from some sort of issue. So I went with the floor plan I liked the best (29HFS). I'm very handy as well and also have an extended warranty, which has me at conflict, do I fix it myself or let service take care of it? I know I'm probably dreaming but hoping when that day comes FR could just ship me the parts.

Good luck with your XLR.
davidjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #10

We also have a 29hfs. We have been fortunate because we have had no warranty issues. This is our first camper and realize this is an average quality brand. Heck, all campers share the same few product lines of camper brand items. I have added led lights in the deep kitchen cabinets and currently adding remote cables for waste handles. FOREST River really dropped the ball on this design. Who wants to climb around under the camper to drop tank water.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #11

i also have a 29hsf my first unit of this type , for 25yrs prior to this a slide in truck pop up camper was all i needed . once i decided to travel a bit and to full time for a while i got the 29hsf . i will say for the most part i've had no real issues nothing i could not fix myself and most of that was with in the first few weeks . i went through the unit from dropping the underbelly and fixing shoddy workmanship to insulating re-doing water connections changing dump valves to better locations
a few warranty items like the fender flares that seem to crack . even the replacements are cracking and i installed them my self so it's just cheap plastic .A new black tank cable operated dump valve . some minor trim pieces around the outside slide .other then that it's been a trouble free 19 months . of course i do preventive maintenance all the time . I've taken the slider doors off the bedroom as i see no need for them and together they weigh 35lbs . i have not done a lot of mods . added shelves under the tv mount in living rm , installed ball valves and shut off valves for sinks and toilets water tanks drains etc . modded the furnace to function in cold weather . all in all is a good unit . and will be for sale in 2 yrs
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart98stang View Post
\

if you can fix it easy then do it .if it's damaged like cosmetic then get replacement sent to you and do the work yourself . forget the warranty unless it's major . most dealers will send you any needed parts . at least mine has [couches rv] at no cost under warranty . if you take it in expect 6 weeks min stay and then don't expect things to be fixed are fixed right .
save yourself the aggravation and get it right the first time and you can only do that by doing it yourself . Also since this is a new unit get new E-rated tires dump the D rated tires that come with it there cheap and not enough to carry the full load . i use Hercules brand others use maxxis which imo are ok just cost more
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #13

Have had my 29hfs for about 18 months. No major issues. Numerous little items (ie pocket door hangers) but nothing to complain about. This forum has been FABLOUS with things to look out for and how to correct things.

Coming from a popup that I had for 10yrs, the TH was a big jump but has been a wonderful experience. Don't sweat the small stuff and have fun with your new toy...