Old 03-06-2016, 01:01 AM   #11

THANK YOU ! ! !

After speaking with the CFO she and I both know we just will not be happy with the smaller unit. So I have decided to start this process with the search for a new TV. I can get $8500 for my current 06, Silverado 1500 2wd. I am partial to Fords so will begin looking for an 2008+ F250 4dr. Looks like I can get something reasonable for about $20K. So with the $8500 I get for mine Ill be into another TV for about $11.5K. I did not mean to turn this thread into Tow Vehicle thread but that's where I need to start. So once that is in place my field of choices will open up considerably. Will certainly look at the 29HFS. I can even go 5th wheel. The goal will be to stay in the $35K-$40K range. That will certainly buy me a nice unit on the 1-2 year used market or a very well equipped 29HFS or similar. That's the plan. Will see how it goes.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

Onesaintsfan, I think you are being wise to consider the big picture when looking at a camper... it is a package. Where the trailer has to work for your family and budget, then the truck has to be sized to pull it safely and also, stay within the budget. If you limit yourself to the truck you own (nothing wrong with that) then be content to go as small as necessary with the trailer. Always consider those maximum limits of truck and trailer.

Many who find a coach they like, tend to be overly optimistic about what their current TV is capable of, and can't blame the salesperson with an agenda... there is always an agenda.

I would also recommend to not limit your search to 2500 (250). A 3500 (350), even a SRW, gives you a lot more. Granted, they ride harsher, but not that much worse.

When you look at a TV, check the door sticker for actual CC, if it has one. Also, make sure the tires are not rated less than the factory put on it originally. Nothing increases the weight limits after they leave the factory. Many add air bags when they find their new toy isn't up to the task they ask of it, and I can understand that... I might do the same. But, get one that is up to the task.

Happy hunting,
WW

Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
THANK YOU ! ! !

After speaking with the CFO she and I both know we just will not be happy with the smaller unit. So I have decided to start this process with the search for a new TV. I can get $8500 for my current 06, Silverado 1500 2wd. I am partial to Fords so will begin looking for an 2008+ F250 4dr. Looks like I can get something reasonable for about $20K. So with the $8500 I get for mine Ill be into another TV for about $11.5K. I did not mean to turn this thread into Tow Vehicle thread but that's where I need to start. So once that is in place my field of choices will open up considerably. Will certainly look at the 29HFS. I can even go 5th wheel. The goal will be to stay in the $35K-$40K range. That will certainly buy me a nice unit on the 1-2 year used market or a very well equipped 29HFS or similar. That's the plan. Will see how it goes.
you can get a brand new 29 for under 30,000 . closer to 25000 depending on things like on board genny that will increase cost . i have the gen prep but did not buy a gen from the dealer as you can get the onan 4000 for 2800 rather then the dealer over priced unit
Old 03-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #14

Smart decision- if at all thinking about a fifth wheel then you really need to think more on the lines of a 3500 - good luck in your adventure
Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you can get a brand new 29 for under 30,000 . closer to 25000 depending on things like on board genny that will increase cost . i have the gen prep but did not buy a gen from the dealer as you can get the onan 4000 for 2800 rather then the dealer over priced unit
You should be able to get a well equipped 2016 29HFS for very close to $25K from Couch's - ask me how I know
Old 03-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
You should be able to get a well equipped 2016 29HFS for very close to $25K from Couch's - ask me how I know
Ok i'm Asking ? They wouldn't have given you the same deal as me
Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Ok i'm Asking ? They wouldn't have given you the same deal as me
My post was intended for OSF's benefit - Couch's is pretty straight up with their pricing across the board.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #18

For a gut check you could go to RV Wholesalers (Lakeview OH) and get there bottom dollar price on line. Then let Couch's or whoever try and beat it. Does couch's have an online tool? RVW only goes lower if you play the financing game
WW
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #19

Just an FYI, my local dealer came within $1k of the price I could get from Couch's. This saved me a long road trip and was able to support a local business. FYI only... :-)
Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #20

I have a '13 27HFS... We have not had any issues. We race MX as well and I sleep better in the camper then I do in my bed at home.

My suggestion would be to get the rear side garage access door. I am so glad we have it.

Tags
forest river, xlr