Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #1

2016 Forest River XLR Hyperlite 27HFS

I am new to this forum and the RV lifestyle. After a lot of research the wife and I have pretty well settled on the 2016 Forest River XLR Hyperlite 27HFS.
So plain and simple I am here to lurk and learn. This RV pretty much fits what we want to do, our price range and hopefully can be pulled with my 2006 Chevy silverado 5.3L crew 1500. with tow package. Options we want are the 15000 BTU AC, Electric queen bed in back and the sofa instead of the dinette. I am planning on going with the new Honda 7000Kw FI generator which should be plenty to power this unit. So info and issues you know about this RV speak up. I am here to learn

This is a first RV, Its going to be used to carry combinations of motorcycles for track days, and trail riding. It will also be used for family camping for 3 to 4 people. Probably not any long distance stuff, maybe N. Georgia a couple of times a year. We really like the layout of the RV. Interesting how there are no reviews of this unit out there on the web like there is for vehicles and motorcycles. Where do you go to get information and real world test results?

So be patient and help me out.
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #2

I purchased the 29HFS back in october and at the time had a 2012 F-150 5.0 FX4. Our first RV also. We went in looking to buy the 27 but my wife and I liked the layout of the bed up front better on the other. I think the 27 is close to 1000 lbs lighter and believe the F-150 would have been a good TV for it. I loaded my 29 up with a full load of water and all the supplies for a full motocross weekend and it was working hard. Long story short, I purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 with the diesel and its a whole lot better but without knowing the numbers on your truck, im guessing yours would be fine with the 27. But i will say the numbers add up quick when you start loading up!!

We use ours for motocross and absolutely love it. Ours has the 15k AC with the bed in the back and also the sofa option. We looked at both options, dinette vs sofa, and the sofa was a better option for us. They all lay practically flat and my son uses it as a bed.

The garage is great and comes with a good layout of D-rings. My son is 7 so his motorcycles are small so Im just using some rubber chocks for the front wheels but im sure there are others on here that can chime in about good options for the front wheel stops.

Good luck and you can learn all kinds of stuff on this forum. Enough modifications to keep you busy for a long time.
mx411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

I have a 2015 29hfs and am pulling it with a 2004 GMC 2500HD Crew (6.0L 4X4). I'm sure your 1500 can pull it but from my viewpoint, I think you need a 3/4 ton. Once loaded, any type of incline in the road will start to work your 5.3L pretty hard. Also, the tongue & GVW weights can get out of whack pretty quickly. There are plenty of threads on here talking about 1/2, 3/4, Full tons.

As for the options, we went with the couch instead of the dinette. We have the folding dinette/bed in the garage and has worked out good for the people that have used it (sis-in-law and bro-in-law). We have the 15k AC and three fantastic fans w/wall remotes. These have worked out great. The heater is another good topic you can read up on here but overall if you have an electric heater as a "helper", you should be just fine.

I HIGHLY recommend spending time reading this forum. There is a lot of good information and people here to help.

Good luck on your purchase and happy camping... :-)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #4

Without starting a gas vs diesel - 1500 vs 2500 battle... I had a 2010 Chevy 5.3 (the higher HP E85 model for that year) 6 speed auto, 4 x 4, and towing package. I pulled a 6000# (loaded) Greywolf and it was no fun. Some western grades (7% and higher) produced sub-25 mph maximum speeds in second gear and transmission temps reached 280 before I noticed and stopped to let it cool down. You are wanting to pull 8000# or more, just saying. I came an inch from buying the 27... it was the sideways bed and the 9 foot garage that stopped me. Also, the rear door is awkward. The genset you mentioned would power mine and yours all day long (or nearly) so you should be good there. 4000w would do it. If you plan to camp in very hot weather, consider a future second AC in the garage might be needed not to mention the standard furnace isn't up to the task in very cold weather. You might get away with the 15K AC unit if you don't like it that cold.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You mentioned north GA; sounds like you might be in FL?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #5

We love our 27HFS, We looked at the 29, but it would just be too close or maybe over the tow limits of my Ex.
We have the dinette, but wish we could have gotten the couch instead. We bought it off the lot as a left over 2014 in 2015. Plus side is we saved a lot! This year I think I might just pull the table out and see how that goes using the dinette seats as a "U" shaped "couch".
I will agree with the others, you might be taxing the half ton suspension with this rig. Its heavy on the hitch weight. Even with the (pseudo) 3/4 ton suspension of the Excursion (that's another topic on its own) it squats pretty good. I have a the Roadmaster Active Suspension also, and it still squats. I was gonna get airbags, but I am hoping to upgrade to a 1 ton pick up this year, so I am just gonna get through the first half of the season as best as I can.
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

OneSF if you have a 4L60 transmission in that truck your gonna need to beef it up or its gonna fail -- that's the weak link In the 5.3 also need 4:10 gears In back for the 5.3 to be able to pull hills
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
I am new to this forum and the RV lifestyle. After a lot of research the wife and I have pretty well settled on the 2016 Forest River XLR Hyperlite 27HFS.
So plain and simple I am here to lurk and learn. This RV pretty much fits what we want to do, our price range and hopefully can be pulled with my 2006 Chevy silverado 5.3L crew 1500. with tow package. Options we want are the 15000 BTU AC, Electric queen bed in back and the sofa instead of the dinette. I am planning on going with the new Honda 7000Kw FI generator which should be plenty to power this unit. So info and issues you know about this RV speak up. I am here to learn

This is a first RV, Its going to be used to carry combinations of motorcycles for track days, and trail riding. It will also be used for family camping for 3 to 4 people. Probably not any long distance stuff, maybe N. Georgia a couple of times a year. We really like the layout of the RV. Interesting how there are no reviews of this unit out there on the web like there is for vehicles and motorcycles. Where do you go to get information and real world test results?

So be patient and help me out.
OSF, just sent you a PM
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #8

Wow that is such great information. That was my fear. I was afraid my truck just would not be up to the task. Again 2006, 5.3L 2WD Crew cab with tow package. Not sure of the gear ratio. Online search indicates about a 6500lb-7200lb max tow weight. I pull a 22ft Chaparral 210ssi boat that I am sure is in the 4500lb range and I know its back there. I just am not to where I can buy a new truck. So may just have to step down in RV. I'll start my search over again. I started out liking the Keystone Carbon 22. I also looked at an avenger 18th at a local dealer. Thanks again so much for bursting my bubble ( HA HA ).
Old 03-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

SFO

The 5.3 is capable with higher gears as long as your not going over too many steep passes and watch temp but the 4L60 trany will not when but will burn up if you don't beef it up and if you park on incline with trany holding the weight of the trailer on it for a parking brake it will blow the planetary gears out - need to change out the 4 planetary gears to 5 (what's in 4l65) and some other mods - add another transmission cooler too - - I'm using a Chevy 1/2 with 29hfs but it's a 6liiter and I have beefed the trany up a lot

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2002 Chevy 1/2 ton Quadrasteer
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #10

We started out with our 06' F150 4X4 HD pulling our 15' 27 HFS. I was reluctant to admit that we were pushing the limits of our TV until the first trip into northern WI. Fortunately I made due with it for 2 camping seasons because we normally don't travel very far. Last fall I upgraded to an F250 with a 6.7 diesel and I must say it is a joy to pull the rig now.

On to the rv. For the record i ordered ours thinking I knew fully what I wanted since this was going to be our 2nd unit. Wow do I still have things to learn! First off, wish now we would've gotten the sofa in place of the dinette and the pass thru dinette in the garage. We only have one bed in the back and that suits us good because we need the extra height for the golf cart when we're not hauling motorcycles. 2nd, I only got the 13.5 btu a/c and it seems to do the job but if we lived somewhere other than the Midwest I could see it struggling to cool the unit. Also I was surprised there wasn't a silverware drawer. I raised that question here on the forum and Wolfwhistle promptly made one and posted great pics that I was able use as a baseline to make ours. There isn't a great way to say this but, the front bed sucks. I did go with the extreme weather package and splurged for the onboard genny. All in all I can't complain as we never had to have any warranty work done and I am greatful for that. With all that being said and as the old saying goes.... Hindsight is 20/20, I wish I would've went with the 29HFS because after all I ended up with a bigger TV anyway. There's alway the next rig!!
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:01 AM   #11

THANK YOU ! ! !

After speaking with the CFO she and I both know we just will not be happy with the smaller unit. So I have decided to start this process with the search for a new TV. I can get $8500 for my current 06, Silverado 1500 2wd. I am partial to Fords so will begin looking for an 2008+ F250 4dr. Looks like I can get something reasonable for about $20K. So with the $8500 I get for mine Ill be into another TV for about $11.5K. I did not mean to turn this thread into Tow Vehicle thread but that's where I need to start. So once that is in place my field of choices will open up considerably. Will certainly look at the 29HFS. I can even go 5th wheel. The goal will be to stay in the $35K-$40K range. That will certainly buy me a nice unit on the 1-2 year used market or a very well equipped 29HFS or similar. That's the plan. Will see how it goes.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

Onesaintsfan, I think you are being wise to consider the big picture when looking at a camper... it is a package. Where the trailer has to work for your family and budget, then the truck has to be sized to pull it safely and also, stay within the budget. If you limit yourself to the truck you own (nothing wrong with that) then be content to go as small as necessary with the trailer. Always consider those maximum limits of truck and trailer.

Many who find a coach they like, tend to be overly optimistic about what their current TV is capable of, and can't blame the salesperson with an agenda... there is always an agenda.

I would also recommend to not limit your search to 2500 (250). A 3500 (350), even a SRW, gives you a lot more. Granted, they ride harsher, but not that much worse.

When you look at a TV, check the door sticker for actual CC, if it has one. Also, make sure the tires are not rated less than the factory put on it originally. Nothing increases the weight limits after they leave the factory. Many add air bags when they find their new toy isn't up to the task they ask of it, and I can understand that... I might do the same. But, get one that is up to the task.

Happy hunting,
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
THANK YOU ! ! !

After speaking with the CFO she and I both know we just will not be happy with the smaller unit. So I have decided to start this process with the search for a new TV. I can get $8500 for my current 06, Silverado 1500 2wd. I am partial to Fords so will begin looking for an 2008+ F250 4dr. Looks like I can get something reasonable for about $20K. So with the $8500 I get for mine Ill be into another TV for about $11.5K. I did not mean to turn this thread into Tow Vehicle thread but that's where I need to start. So once that is in place my field of choices will open up considerably. Will certainly look at the 29HFS. I can even go 5th wheel. The goal will be to stay in the $35K-$40K range. That will certainly buy me a nice unit on the 1-2 year used market or a very well equipped 29HFS or similar. That's the plan. Will see how it goes.
you can get a brand new 29 for under 30,000 . closer to 25000 depending on things like on board genny that will increase cost . i have the gen prep but did not buy a gen from the dealer as you can get the onan 4000 for 2800 rather then the dealer over priced unit
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #14

Smart decision- if at all thinking about a fifth wheel then you really need to think more on the lines of a 3500 - good luck in your adventure
Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you can get a brand new 29 for under 30,000 . closer to 25000 depending on things like on board genny that will increase cost . i have the gen prep but did not buy a gen from the dealer as you can get the onan 4000 for 2800 rather then the dealer over priced unit
You should be able to get a well equipped 2016 29HFS for very close to $25K from Couch's - ask me how I know
Old 03-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
You should be able to get a well equipped 2016 29HFS for very close to $25K from Couch's - ask me how I know
Ok i'm Asking ? They wouldn't have given you the same deal as me
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Ok i'm Asking ? They wouldn't have given you the same deal as me
My post was intended for OSF's benefit - Couch's is pretty straight up with their pricing across the board.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #18

For a gut check you could go to RV Wholesalers (Lakeview OH) and get there bottom dollar price on line. Then let Couch's or whoever try and beat it. Does couch's have an online tool? RVW only goes lower if you play the financing game
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #19

Just an FYI, my local dealer came within $1k of the price I could get from Couch's. This saved me a long road trip and was able to support a local business. FYI only... :-)
Old 03-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #20

I have a '13 27HFS... We have not had any issues. We race MX as well and I sleep better in the camper then I do in my bed at home.

My suggestion would be to get the rear side garage access door. I am so glad we have it.
ripcurl329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, xlr