Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #11
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Why would FR put 4400# axles on the XLR but put 5080# axles on the Vengeance 25. Both trailers have an almost identical max gross weight. Could the difference be the extra width of the Vengeance and the 5K axles are the lightest they can get for the needed width?
I was told the 4400# axles were the upgrade, the old axles were 3500#, that would have really had me worried. I guess since the XLR is a "lite" they do all they can to keep it light.

Tims29hfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
I think 4400# axles are standard, as was 5200# on up to 2014 units (late 2014 and early 2015). You can see by looking at current website data... the 18HFS has a CCC of 4737# and a 30HDS 2445#; they have the same axles.

This keeps the "half-ton towable" Hyperlite line alive and which although technically true, they have pushed the limits of practicality for many of us with the 29HFS and 30HDS models. If you load two heavy bikes or heavy toys, this leaves very little CCC for all the other stuff, not to mention TWR that has to be too low in my opinion. Buyer beware. But, if you need more and are staying XLR and towable; there is always the Nitro line, which does not have to fit the half-ton towable mantra. Choices now are much better than when I ordered mine in 2013.

XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
not to expensive to install the 5200# axles . guess if you can't keep the weight in limits then that's the thing to do as the 29 is built to have bigger axles . i'm able to stay with in my 2650 cargo capacity . though i do wish i had that margin of safety

northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote