Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

2016 Hyperlite XLR fabric colors

We ordered a 2016 Hyperlite XLR 29 HFS a few weeks ago with the Chestnut interior color. On Forest Rivers web site they show a brown fabric on the backs of the seat cushions and on the rear dinette with brown vinyl cushions with the Chestnut. With the Raven it shows a very light fabric with black vinyl. On all the pictures from dealers that are currently selling 2016's they show the same fabric as the Raven color, it's a very light fabric. The only difference between the two that I've seen on current models being sold with the Raven and Chestnut is the vinyl colors, the fabric colors remain the same light color fabric on both. When we ordered ours I was concerned, I didn't want the lighter fabric, I'll have a dirt bike in the cargo area right next to the rear dinette that is folded up on the side walls. Our salesman contacted the factory and confirmed ours will have the correct fabric, they will be using the correct color when ours is being made this month. I hope he's right, has anyone else been concerned about this?
Tims29hfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #2

Nope , more concerned about build quality , reliability , Axle weights , tires , construction , etc color was the last thing on my mind . I do like my color scheme on the inside the out side i wish had the grey instead of the white but those were not a factor in buying
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Axle weights was my first concern, our last travel trailer was roughly the same size and had 5200# axles, this has 4400# axles. Salesman said I couldn't upgrade the axles. Should I be concerned about build quality and reliability? Isn't that why we bought a Forest River product?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

When you opt for the sofa / recliners not much fabric shows... I would opt for cloth sofa upholstery. I like the colors in mine. I just looked at the new brochure; they finally have the height, length, and weights about right, at least on the 29HFS. Yea! FR
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #5

I guess what I'm getting at is why can't Forest Rive keep their website updated with what they are actually using?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

FR is truly no better then most other manufactures . I'm very satisfied with my 29 , after going through it with a fine tooth comb and fixing or correcting the lack of workmanship . Now my 29 is in tip top shape .i will say the maintenance is always an on going issue . after 1 yr lots of the sealant on the outside needed to be redone , the axle bearings needed to be checked and should have been done first thing found a couple of the nuts just plain loose . adjust the brakes not sure they do it at the factory . if you use axles quick lube zerk be careful it will push grease past the rear seal . i prefer to jack up the axles and spin the wheel while i add grease slowly
FR does not always list things like a good company should like listing the furnace as a 20,000 rather then the 19000 actual last i looked this was changed on the website
as far as up grading axles you can put 5200# on but it will be at your cost . i do agree this is the way the 29 should come . but again the RV industry will save a buck where ever they can and always uses the cheapest they can get
Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Tim, I think I see what you are talking about. On the website; in the gallery, Chestnut at least on vinyl is light (looking at 24HFS) on the fold up dinette. I see on a 30HDS with sofa option, it is dark vinyl with fabric pillows.

When I bought mine both the website and brochures were different and didn't agree on the important things, such as CC.

FR makes so many changes and have so many models, it is a monumental task to keep everything up to date. I am not defending them, just offering a practical reason. The dealers have out-of-date brochures, which isn't might not be the fault of XLR.

If I were you and decor is important to you... send a PM to bulletbob, on the forum. He builds these things... and he can tell you how it will be, or should be.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims29hfs View Post
Axle weights was my first concern, our last travel trailer was roughly the same size and had 5200# axles, this has 4400# axles. Salesman said I couldn't upgrade the axles. Should I be concerned about build quality and reliability? Isn't that why we bought a Forest River product?
Why would FR put 4400# axles on the XLR but put 5080# axles on the Vengeance 25. Both trailers have an almost identical max gross weight. Could the difference be the extra width of the Vengeance and the 5K axles are the lightest they can get for the needed width?
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

The fabric color that I haven't seen on a 2016 is the middle color on the Chestnut sample, they advertised it, they just don't use it. I guess I'll find out soon, we should be picking ours up in about 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	101181  
Old 03-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims29hfs View Post
The fabric color that I haven't seen on a 2016 is the middle color on the Chestnut sample, they advertised it, the just don't use it. I guess I'll find out soon, we should be picking ours up in about 2 weeks.
Or, PM bulletbob
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Why would FR put 4400# axles on the XLR but put 5080# axles on the Vengeance 25. Both trailers have an almost identical max gross weight. Could the difference be the extra width of the Vengeance and the 5K axles are the lightest they can get for the needed width?
I was told the 4400# axles were the upgrade, the old axles were 3500#, that would have really had me worried. I guess since the XLR is a "lite" they do all they can to keep it light.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

I think 4400# axles are standard, as was 5200# on up to 2014 units (late 2014 and early 2015). You can see by looking at current website data... the 18HFS has a CCC of 4737# and a 30HDS 2445#; they have the same axles.

This keeps the "half-ton towable" Hyperlite line alive and which although technically true, they have pushed the limits of practicality for many of us with the 29HFS and 30HDS models. If you load two heavy bikes or heavy toys, this leaves very little CCC for all the other stuff, not to mention TWR that has to be too low in my opinion. Buyer beware. But, if you need more and are staying XLR and towable; there is always the Nitro line, which does not have to fit the half-ton towable mantra. Choices now are much better than when I ordered mine in 2013.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #13

not to expensive to install the 5200# axles . guess if you can't keep the weight in limits then that's the thing to do as the 29 is built to have bigger axles . i'm able to stay with in my 2650 cargo capacity . though i do wish i had that margin of safety

Tags
xlr