Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

2016 xlr 27hfs

We have been between the 27 and 29 and have pretty much come to the realization the 29 is too much trailer for my Dodge'14 Ram 1500 considering all the options I want. There are a lot of threads on the 29 but not much on the 27. Looking for feedback, good or bad, on owners with the new 27'.

We are looking to order a 27 with the sofa slide, electric bed and a second bed with the walk through dinette, VIP party deck, fuel station and generator.

Cheers- 😎
GoodTimesNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Not much weight difference between 27 and 29, but I think my Tundra 5.7 is at the limits with my 27, even though it is setup properly. 1/2 ton trucks can do the job but 3/4 ton would be much more confident inspiring. Is your dodge a 5.7 hemi? Will you get a heavy duty WDH? If so, it can tow either the 27 or the 29
I my opinion, of course.
Sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

I love the 27. Was the best, lightest, separate garage, bang for the buck. Great race trailer
Old 02-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

We really like our 27. Plan to keep this one a long time.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

I do like the 29's front walk around bed!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

That's true Sturgie. Messing with the front bed is a pain. We now use a double sleeping bag.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #7

I own a 29, so I should just get off my soapbox, but I did own a 21RR, which is loosely similar to a 24hfs and 27hfs. I couldn't stand the bed pushed up into the front wall. This can be tested at home, if you've never slept like that. Plus try to make a bed in a corner. A positive factor is the shorter length and maneuverability of the 27. And, with the same load, the 27 is a thousand pounds lighter... maxed out there is almost no difference in the two. Wind resistance is the same. Sturgie makes good points. A half-ton is maxed out and no fun with either trailers. But, go with your gut for which one to get. Let me make a point about the generator. I got the fueling station with the gen prep package, with the idea of buying the Onan later and saving over a grand... rather than getting it from the dealer. But after hearing and feeling how obnoxious an on-board running generator is I canned the idea. Maybe it could be sound proofed, dunno. Other members think the noise isn't an issue. I keep the generator in the truck and use the space for storage. I use a long 10AWG cord, connected to the TH, via the factory generator transfer switch... I can actually plug in the trailer to the gen. going down the road. I have given serious thought of converting mine to LP gas.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #8

In my 24 i disliked the bed so much that I switched to the electric bed. It really is a pain to have it wedged in the front like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

Since having our 27 for almost a year now there are couple things I wish I would've ordered differently.
1. Sofa in place of the u-shaped dinnette.
2. Pass thru dinnette in garage along with the single drop down bed we have.
3. The 15k a/c.
4. Fantastic fan.

I do like the bed in the 29. We also have the on board generator. It is a little noisy and vibrates some but I'm a hard sleeper and it reminds me of when I used to go trucking with my dad when I was a boy. All in all I love our 27 and plan on keeping it for several years. Hope this helps. No matter what you get I'm sure you will have fun, we sure do!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

We chose the 27 over the 29 because it gave us a little more cargo carrying capacity, weight wise. We loved the 29, and would have loved to have gotten it, but we would be constantly having to pack creatively. Yeah, we would love to have the bigger bedroom and bigger garage, but we can make do with it.
Good luck!
-2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide (his)
-2004 Harley Davidson Fatboy (hers)
RVBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

I just got my 27 last week and so far it's really nice. However, there are some things that are pissing me off. I have a Polaris Ranger 500, it's the mid size, not the huge one like the 800's and 900's, and yet it's 2" too long to go in the box. Next, the available storage space is very limited, guess I'm going to have to get creative. Next, the area for the TV is stupid, unless you can sit in a recliner and lean back. The list goes on and on, but I'm an anal retentive perfectionist and get pretty pissy and little things. Overall, it pulled great for 11 hours from Nebraska and seems like its built very well.
Kidhunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Not that it helps, but I have found the TV placement in the vast majority of trailers to be awful. It is really weird where they try and shoehorn in a tv in these things. I always notice when a floorplan gets it right because it is so rare.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #13

Kidhunts, TV mount I went with swings out and tilts, making it much better to see. I went with a 26" Walmart TV. It isn't bad, viewing from side isn't as bad as some... Could be better. Behind the wall is a 2x6 at the center of the wall from ceiling to floor, so it is rock solid, but for traveling, I strap the TV to the ceiling on each end of the TV. I don't trust the Walmart mount and don't want to take it down and put it up. I don't find storage space a problem, but counter space, that's another story.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

We went back and forth as well. The only reason I am choosing the 29 over the 27 is the slightly larger garage only because she has a CanAm monstrosity, and I am pretty sure I would not like sleeping next to the wall. Now, I could elect to put her on that side but then I'd have to listen to her bitch about the wall. I don't know, maybe it's just what one gets used to, right?
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Kidhunts, TV mount I went with swings out and tilts, making it much better to see. I went with a 26" Walmart TV. It isn't bad, viewing from side isn't as bad as some... Could be better. Behind the wall is a 2x6 at the center of the wall from ceiling to floor, so it is rock solid, but for traveling, I strap the TV to the ceiling on each end of the TV. I don't trust the Walmart mount and don't want to take it down and put it up. I don't find storage space a problem, but counter space, that's another story.
Maybe they will improve counter space for 2016.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #16

Well GDavidHughes our Can-Am monstrosity fits nicely in our 27 and we are very comfortable when we camp. As is the monstrosity.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #17

OK, OK. Just don't tell my wife I called it that. Us Harley guys gotta maintain the image, ya know? Every time I look in my mirror, there it is again. I could not even shake it on The Dragon. LOL
Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #18

C-eh-n-Eh-m

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavidHughes View Post
Maybe they will improve counter space for 2016.
Forest River did, its called the 30HDS.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #20

I really think you will regret going with the shorter garage. We just had to sell our 10' garage hauler having outgrown the garage after only 3 years of ownership. You'll be upgrading your truck at some point. You don't want to regret your trailer purchase when that happens and have to take a loss and upgrade that too.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xlr