Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

2016 XLR craftsmanship

We just bought our second Forest River TH, 2016 XLR. Our first was a 2012 19RR Gray Wolf. When I picked up the 19RR they filled the water tank to run through things with me. Once done they drained the tank and I left. about 200 miles from the dealer as I pulled into a gas station I hear something dragging, the straps holding the water tank broke and the tank was almost touching the road. Now to our XLR. We just had it delivered to Tn from RVWhilesalers. After the driver left I started familiarizing myself with the trailer. The starter switch for the generator was broken, the door latches for the cargo doors were all loose, shower stall insert was pealing away along the edges and the switch for the LED light by the propane bottles did not work. I ended up fixing everything myself because we are getting ready to leave for Sturgis. Brand New trailer I shouldnt have to be fixing anything.
ohbabysoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #2

You are so right,Call (RVW) and they will line up a Repair location! Maybe you already called (RVW) what did they say? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #3

My light by the propane bottles dosnt work either. What did you do to fix yours?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

XLR Propane Light

I took it apart and found the switch was bad. I found a switch at Auto Zone that was the same size. Only difference was it was a 3 prong because it was a lighted switch. Use the 2 copper colored terminals. You want to use your old rubber switch cover with your new switch.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #5

RVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You are so right,Call (RVW) and they will line up a Repair location! Maybe you already called (RVW) what did they say? Youroo!!
I called them and about the Generator switch and they supposedly found a place in Nashville that I could take it to. When I called them they had nothing to do with RV's let alone Onan. I found an Onan dealer in Nashville and I fixed that problem for 35.00. In total I have spent around 50.00 dollars fixing everything along with my time.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #6

At least the FW tank didn't fall out (I don't think it could if like mine) wonder why RVW didn't make the call to find a dealer / repair shop?

We shouldn't have to, but I'm like you, I would rather fix it than have it sit for weeks at a dealer. They would have to order; then wait for the switch to come in.

Is there any testing and quality control from the factory? They install most of items and assume they work. All except very high end units are all the same.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
John513

I also had a problem with the light near the propane tanks. That has a problem for most and what it is is the switch gets alittle moisture in it and quits. Mine went out twice and I figured out the rubber boot on top of switch doesn't keep it dry. I ended up putting a bead of silicone around it and haven't had a problem since.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #8

Angry Quality control issues

Just purchased an XLR 300X12HP. I thought by buying new I would avoid most issues. Boy was I wrong with this one.
Started off having all five tires replaced due to dry rot. Tires were hitting frame and frame appears to be cut with a sawsall.
Hydro pistons slip down while you drive.
Large slide has electrolysis eating through the aluminium and paint on the side of the slide. Slide does not close all the way. It did for two weeks.
Small bedroom slide has waterlogged plywood under it and the rollers are sinking in. Also inside trim is splitting due to moisture swelling.
Mouldings fell of the walls, they had 1/4" of nail penetration.
Side ladder screws are pulling out after being used twice. I'm 170 lbs.
Tie downs in the hauler part are put in with self tapping screws, not through bolted.
The screws pulled out of the tables when you took the table apart. Screw was 1/4" into the plywood. The dealer says that happens all the time, just turn it a little and put the screws back in.
Does anyone look at these things before they leave the factory?
I'm bringing it back to the dealer this week. I can't wait to see how they handle it.
I think they made this one during a company party.
joefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Harleyrider

Joefun, What year is your TH?
harleyrider03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #10

2014. model year leftover.
joefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefun View Post
Just purchased an XLR 300X12HP. I thought by buying new I would avoid most issues. Boy was I wrong with this one.
Started off having all five tires replaced due to dry rot. Tires were hitting frame and frame appears to be cut with a sawsall.
Hydro pistons slip down while you drive.
Large slide has electrolysis eating through the aluminium and paint on the side of the slide. Slide does not close all the way. It did for two weeks.
Small bedroom slide has waterlogged plywood under it and the rollers are sinking in. Also inside trim is splitting due to moisture swelling.
Mouldings fell of the walls, they had 1/4" of nail penetration.
Side ladder screws are pulling out after being used twice. I'm 170 lbs.
Tie downs in the hauler part are put in with self tapping screws, not through bolted.
The screws pulled out of the tables when you took the table apart. Screw was 1/4" into the plywood. The dealer says that happens all the time, just turn it a little and put the screws back in.
Does anyone look at these things before they leave the factory?
I'm bringing it back to the dealer this week. I can't wait to see how they handle it.
I think they made this one during a company party.

Some pictures would be helpful. Something sounds wrong almost like its a used trailer that was abused.

I purchased a 2015 a year ago, no one had any on the lot on the east coast. The 1st two that arrived sold in two days. The 300x12 is the smallest of the Thunderbolt family and the most wanted.

I would return the trailer and get a 100% refund. Don't get it repaired .

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

2016 27hfs hyper lite bought in mid May...front propane light stopped working, I also had the shower stall issue but caught that before we paid for it and had the dealer fix it, then this weekend my wife comes out and says there is water on the bathroom floor, the water inlet pipe was cocked and tightened down...quick fix but pissed me off just the same... I hope that's it... We have spent two weeks in it so far and love the hell out of it...Like anything else these days, they rush them out...My 2015 rgs as had two recalls for clutch and saddle bags falling off...how many years have they had to get that right? Our 2014 tundra has had a recall also....
roguepra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #13

Two words -
American Made !

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kulas View Post
two words -
american made !

Sent from my iphone using forest river forums
yup....thats a shame
roguepra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #15

Those two words should not be "American Made".

They should be "CORPORATE GREED".

It matters not about quality to upper management. The only concern in that court is stock prices and profit.
We have the some of the most capable workers in the world and we are seeing some corporations bring assembly and manufacturing back to the U.S. Now that it is happening, it is our job as consumers to demand quality.
The greediest of them all, Warren Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway, owns Forest River!
Please do not lay this blame on the "American Worker". He is performing as he is paid to do in this case.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Those two words should not be "American Made".

They should be "CORPORATE GREED".

It matters not about quality to upper management. The only concern in that court is stock prices and profit.
We have the some of the most capable workers in the world and we are seeing some corporations bring assembly and manufacturing back to the U.S. Now that it is happening, it is our job as consumers to demand quality.
The greediest of them all, Warren Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway, owns Forest River!
Please do not lay this blame on the "American Worker". He is performing as he is paid to do in this case.
Travel safe
I've never seen Warren Buffet with a hammer or a screwdriver in his hand anywhere near Elkhart

How much extra time does it take to do it right than to half-way it?

zero
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #17

The lack of quality assembled RV's is non existent as I keep seeing. This industry needs to step back and inspect and test every component of the unit that comes off the assembly line. Fit and finish and function as designed.
Can you image how many units the manufacturer would sell if they actually produced a product that performed as intended without all the issues. The word would get out rather quickly how well there unit was made and tested to perform and delivered to them without an issue. I don't understand there concept. If they took another 2 hours to test things before they left the assembly line/factory they would save their selves a ton of money and have so many happy customers and be rated #1 in the industry.
They don't want to be known for quality but they preach they are quality. What a joke. If you can't fix your own unit you are in a world of hurt because the dealers can't even make quality repairs.
You can't buy a new RV without issues these days no matter what the price of the unit is. Regulation of this industry is needed here even though the price would increase of these units we are getting. There not cheep to start with so what's another 1 or 2K in price to get a reliable RV that you can actually leave the dealer with and take camping on the day you buy it instead of a warranty hassle that lingers on and on and on for months if not years in some cases. Ridiculous at best!!!
I bought our new Toy hauler last Aug. and had to work on it for 2 weeks everyday to fix what the factory turned out and my unit wasn't cheep.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #18

I've never seen a Thunderbolt with 5 wheels.
Davepasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #19

Any one think to call the factory direct, and forget the dealer?
Davepasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #20

You know, I feel that with the number of RVs produced every year, the industry's quality record is pretty darned good. And Forest River's QC is excellent in general. Remember, these units go bouncing down the road at 65 MPH over surfaces that are rarely smooth and many times will remove your fillings. So, while some can have problems (and it seems if they do, they have a LOT of them), the vast majority do not. At the Rally in Goshen we were told that FR manufactured 120,000 units in 2014. So, the problem units are statistically insignificant. THAT SAID, if it happens to you it is SIGNIFICANT. I have found FR will go out of their way to help. If you're hitting a dead end, escalate!

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Dually Diesel
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xlr