Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

2017 29hfs ceiling wrinkles

Our 2017 29hfs has developed wrinkling in various areas of the ceiling, at first I thought it was a leak but after pulling the trim from the a/c and roof vents it was clear there's no leaks. We were at the Hershey rv show this weekend and I meet with someone from Forest River and showed him the pics and he thought the adhesive was failing and told me to give them a call. I called and left a message, waiting on a call back. Is anyone else having this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	186835  
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #2

My 18 29KW is doing the same thing. I purchased it out of Houston and it did not have this issue when I picked it up. I am fairly certain this has to do with our humidity here. We are routinely under 30 percent whereas Houston is well above 80 most of the time. I have the same issues with cabinets that are produced any where with higher relative humidity. Im a GC. Im not sure where you are located but its something to consider. At this point it hasn’t shrunk additionally in the last 6-8 weeks. My roof is doing it at the seems not the outer edges. I honestly expected some of this. Few deal with environments like ours and aren’t familiar with the pitfalls. This winter I plan on removing the bad areas and patching and blending the repair. I’m not going to bother with Forest River or any time of local shop that undoubatbly doesn’nt have the skilled labor to deal with this.
HighDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

Following... my 30HDS is doing the same thing.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

I'm in New Jersey, cold winters and hot summers, probably above average humidity too. Patching the ceiling won't work for me, the wrinkles are everywhere and I don't want to keep fixing it, I guess I'm replacing the entire ceiling. We're looking to get a larger 5th wheel toy hauler, I need to fix this first so I can sell it. Still no call back from Forest River, curious what they have to say.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

Following. I have a 2017 XLR 29HFS and mine does the same thing but not quite as bad (yet). I honestly think it is just a manufacturer defect or the use of cheap materials.
scottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #6

Finally talked to someone from Forest River and basically was told I'm out of warranty. I'll call again and see if I can talk to someone a little higher up and see where it goes.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Warranty

The problem. The problem is the if manufactures would put a 10 year manufacturer warranty on all units the quality of these units would be a lot better.
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
Full-time 5'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
The problem. The problem is the if manufactures would put a 10 year manufacturer warranty on all units the quality of these units would be a lot better.
I agree. I've heard workers are paid by number of units built. Not hours worked. I've had numerous maintenance issues in my XLR 375 AMP. I've learned the units are mostly assembled with staples, hose clamps, wire ties, and self tapping screws. Not much real wood. A lot of simulated paper grain on top of particle board.
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote