Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

2017 XLR 29hfs Sat. antenna wiring

Trying to connect Dish antenna thu outside sat antenna input? can not find where other end is inside of unit. Gray wire at primary tv does not seem to go to outside connection
davechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Same problem. Gave up looking for splitter & F.R. no help. Finally had to put in own G6 coax. What you may be seeing is a very weak signal bcuz satellite not compatible with splitter installed by F.R.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFloresNolasco View Post
Same problem. Gave up looking for splitter & F.R. no help. Finally had to put in own G6 coax. What you may be seeing is a very weak signal bcuz satellite not compatible with splitter installed by F.R.
Found there is an aux/sat connector on the BR wall plate with the ant. power switch, removed plate and found noting connected inside to the aux/sat connector?
davechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

Although there are splitters that pass SAT signal, if like the splitter on antenna to TV locations, it will not and RCVR input (from SAT) antenna shouldn't have a splitter. If you have both CATV and SAT connector outside (i did not), I would look in the general area in ceiling at the antenna booster for the "other end". Or possibly in a wall plate. Also, it is possibly to remove access panel in pantry and gain access behind wiring/plumbing connections to see if the outside SAT connector is in fact, wired.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

My SAT connection from the outside terminates behind the main TV into a single wall plate. The other wall plate behind the TV comes from the booster/switch. The wall plate in the bedroom with the SAT label has no wire attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0927.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	136808  
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Full-time 5'er

After buying and installing a Winegard G2 satellite dish, and DIRECT TV HR24 reciever, i was only able to get a 60 to 70% signal on 16 of 32 transponders through the factory installed G6 coax. After spending hours on the phone with Winegard, I ran a direct G6 feed from the dish to the HR24 and bypassed the stock XLR 375AMP wiring. I was then able to get 90% signal on all 32 transponders. This proved that the signal was being compromised by a factory installed splitter. This was further proved by the two G6 SAT leads coming out of the wall behind the living room TV. After spending hours on the phone with FR, they suggested pulling out the splitter from behind a fan cowling, and bypassing it with a barrel coupler. I pulled off 5 cowlings, no G6 splitter. For now, i have the satellite cable coming through a roof vent. It looks crappy. The factory coax wiring has done me no good.Click image for larger version

Name:	0420171224.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	136812Click image for larger version

Name:	0420171244.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	136814
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Although there are splitters that pass SAT signal, if like the splitter on antenna to TV locations, it will not and RCVR input (from SAT) antenna shouldn't have a splitter. If you have both CATV and SAT connector outside (i did not), I would look in the general area in ceiling at the antenna booster for the "other end". Or possibly in a wall plate. Also, it is possibly to remove access panel in pantry and gain access behind wiring/plumbing connections to see if the outside SAT connector is in fact, wired.
WW
So the cable can go to the tv and the antenna can go right to the tv,,, but the sat antenna has to go to a receiver. Try to look in nearby cabinets where an sat receiver is be expected to sit.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Tom, CABLE connector outside runs to that booster / switch outlet on my ceiling, which is also where the antenna COAX terminates... turning the booster on or off switches the "to the TV" as well as "other TVs" ports from cable to antenna and turns the green light on or off. Now, my 29 only had one cable connector, which runs to that booster / switch. I eventually added a second weather proof COAX connector outside for SAT. I ran that COAX a short distance to the receiver that I installed in the open area in the pantry cabinet... very close. Then being a hog for punishment, from the single SAT HDMI OUT jack (this is a VIP211K) I installed a HDMI splitter, right there in the pantry cabinet powered by a new 120vac outlet... and ran 2 HDMI cables, one to the living room TV, and more recently to a second the garage. To make powering the Winegard carryout cleaner and neater, I also added a marine 12v cigarette plug outside.

For those who don't want to add a second connector outside, it is possible to do a little wiring mod on the booster / switch and add a COAX connector on that plate so that cable terminates ahead of any splitters... dropping it to the receiver only. But, when you want to use campground cable, to your TV(s), you have to move the cables around on the plate, which I found to be a pain. Look here

http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #9

My sat box has an HDMI and a coax out. On main tv dont have to change any lines.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #10

Can someone explain the coax cables. I have a 2017 29hfs that has white, grey and black coax connectors coming out the wall in the living room What is each for.
burbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs1 View Post
Can someone explain the coax cables. I have a 2017 29hfs that has white, grey and black coax connectors coming out the wall in the living room What is each for.
B, yours isn't like mine. But, I can only speculate why there are three. If you have separate cable and SAT connections on the outside, that is two. Maybe the third feeds the other TVs? Someone with your same arrangement and has figured it out might chime in, or I would start testing to find out myself, it isn't that difficult. You could use a DVD player with coax out as a source, then move TV optioned for cable input from wire to wire and figure it out.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 AM   #12

Somewhere on this forum I read, black is antenna, white is cable and gray is sat.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #13

Thanks y'all. I will proceed with that until I can sort it out further
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #14

I rewired My 2016 for my dish all together. Came off the Sat in connector off side of camper into the Dish reciever which I mounted in the Small covey hole next to the Radio. From there I ran the Power and Hdmi cable thru the cabinet under the radio out under camper and up into the storage space under the bed. Came in under the sliding door on the Floor up into cabinet under Tv. Cut a Hole in top of cabinet to come up to power and Tv. I can post pics later if anyone would like to see.
Jr.Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #15
Full-time 5'er

The black is low caoacity coax from your roof antenna for local briadcast only. Grey is cable, white is G6 high capacity for SAT. After buying and installing a Winegard G2 satellite dish, and DIRECT TV HR24 reciever, i was only able to get a 60 to 70% signal on 16 of 32 transponders through the factory installed G6 coax. After spending hours on the phone with Winegard, I ran a direct G6 feed from the dish to the HR24 and bypassed the stock XLR 375AMP wiring. I was then able to get 90% signal on all 32 transponders. This proved that the signal was being compromised by a factory installed splitter. This was further proved by the two G6 SAT leads coming out of the wall behind the living room TV. After spending hours on the phone with FR, they suggested pulling out the splitter from behind a fan cowling, and bypassing it with a barrel coupler. I pulled off 5 cowlings, no G6 splitter. For now, i have the satellite cable coming through a roof vent. It looks crappy. The factory coax wiring has done me no good.
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #16

Gray must be SAT.
The white cable is antenna and if you hook that up to TV you scan for digital channels. Press the antenna booster so the green light is on.
The black coax cable in my unit runs back to the receiver and did not have connectors on either end. It appeared that FR had some extra cables to stuff in there. Again, my unit is a 2017 29HFS and I bought it New with no TV. That won't happen again as the cables are a mess, the DVD only plays B&W and the picture pixilates constantly. I know it's not the best receiver/DVD on the market but should at minimum play a movie right.
Also, why can't this industry come up with a way to disseminate a wiring diagram for the units they manufacture??

Tags
antenna, wiring, xlr