Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #1

24HFS Dual battery wiring

I just picked up my new 2015 24HFS and have a question about how the 2 batteries are wired. First of all, there is no ground cable between the 2 batteries... which throws me for a loop right off the bat. The other odd thing to me is that the battery with both terminals being used goes directly to what I can only guess is a relay bank (behind a black plastic cover). The other battery (the one with only the positive terminal used) goes to a 120amp circuit breaker.

So my questions are; 1) Is this wired correctly? 2) What is the reasoning for only one battery going through the circuit breaker?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
I just picked up my new 2015 24HFS and have a question about how the 2 batteries are wired. First of all, there is no ground cable between the 2 batteries... which throws me for a loop right off the bat. The other odd thing to me is that the battery with both terminals being used goes directly to what I can only guess is a relay bank (behind a black plastic cover). The other battery (the one with only the positive terminal used) goes to a 120amp circuit breaker.

So my questions are; 1) Is this wired correctly? 2) What is the reasoning for only one battery going through the circuit breaker?
Are you saying the negative on one battery doesn't have a cable attached? Are they 12V or 6V? You might want to take the covers off and post a picture. My TH came with one battery, the (+) red goes to a circuit breaker, the (-) black to the frame. When I added the second batty I simply cabled positive to positive and negative to negative... battery to battery. Do you have a generator or generator prep option?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Yes it has a generator prep package. Battery 2 has one red lead (positive) to the breaker. Battery 1 has a ground to the chassis and a positive to the relay pack...
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Do you have a commercial (house type) refrigerator?

It may be a dedicated battery/inverter for the fridge.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Are you saying the negative on one battery doesn't have a cable attached? Are they 12V or 6V? You might want to take the covers off and post a picture. My TH came with one battery, the (+) red goes to a circuit breaker, the (-) black to the frame. When I added the second batty I simply cabled positive to positive and negative to negative... battery to battery. Do you have a generator or generator prep option?
Are you sure you wrote this correct? you running 24 volt? or are you using 6 volt batteries?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrauts View Post
Are you sure you wrote this correct? you running 24 volt? or are you using 6 volt batteries?
Positive to positive and negative to negative is wired parallel which means it would maintain 12volts. Mine are neither... there is no negative wire connected to the 2nd battery. I have a standard elec/propane fridge, as far as I know, there is no DC to AC converter installed either (none of my 110 works without shore power connected).
Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

The wiring as you have observed is, IMHO, not correct. It makes absolutely not sense to have 1 battery with only the + terminal hooked up to anything!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Is it possible to take a few photos of your batteries and battery compartment? Something is going on and some photos will help.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
Positive to positive and negative to negative is wired parallel which means it would maintain 12volts. Mine are neither... there is no negative wire connected to the 2nd battery. I have a standard elec/propane fridge, as far as I know, there is no DC to AC converter installed either (none of my 110 works without shore power connected).
Just sounds like someone did not connect negative to negative. So really you are running off of 1 battery. I would just connect them, leave the red to the fuse and disconnect that ground and ground your second battery instead after you connect the two negatives together.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

I got under the trailer a bit and did some tracing.. now it makes a little more sense. Battery 1 has power going to the relay pack (still not 100% that's what it is) and ground goes to the chassis. Battery 2 positive goes to the circuit breaker and then into the generator compartment where it just terminates (no generator at the moment). This makes a lot more sense as to why there is no ground... this way it can't short on anything. For now I can probably just wire it up in a dual parallel battery setup to get the most out of having 2 batteries. Especially since I will probably eventually just go with an add-on generator rather than the factory Cummins Onan which I know can be loud as hell. Thanks for the help!

Tags
battery, wiring