Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
10x

27 HFS, should I buy one?

Been reading about all the negative stuff, is this trailer really that bad?
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Not familiar with the 27 HFS - what line does it belong to?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Terier it is a XLR Toy Hauler.
10x, I don't know but I'm sure someone on here will.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Ive only had mine a couple months but pretty impressed so far. People tend to only write about the bad stuff. If everything works they Dont say anything. From what i can figure there will be a few issues with pretty much any trailer you buy. I have had no problems, just tidied up some of the sloppy wires and hoses underneath, going to move the batteries off the tung and into the generator compartment. Just things like that.
rah.rrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #5

I bought a 27 HSF in January and have had quite a few issues with it. I realize it is a relatively cheap trailer but that doesn't mean it can't be assembled properly. I must say that FR has so far been very good about sending me replacement parts (under warranty). They are items I can change out myself so I haven't had to take it to a dealer for repair. I installed an Onan generator, removed the external tray and mounted a box for 2 golf cart batteries there. I removed the junk dinette setup, rotated the table 90 degrees and put in a couple of Euro recliners to have a decent place to sit. That has made the living quarters much more comfortable.

My biggest issue was the undersized axles. I couldn't load the trailer anywhere near it's GVWR without overloading them. What was curious was the sticker in the garage warning to limit the weight to 2000#. The official weight sticker on the left front said the cargo capacity was 1650#. After weighing the trailer, I discovered there was only 1350# available for cargo to stay within the GVWR (It was empty when weighed). The unit came with 3500# axles that allows the tires to contact the inner side of the wheel wells. All four have cut through the liner of the wheel well. I'm surprised I haven't cut a tire. I have it loaded right at the limit because to boondock in the mountains to go trail riding, I have to take a full load of water and fuel. I'm only using it as it was designed-carrying an atv, fuel, water, generator, etc.

From this forum, I have learned that the 2013 models are coming with 4400# axles. The GVWR ratings have been bumped up accordingly. Make sure you get one upgraded. I was ready to unload this thing even though I've invested a lot in modifications but FR has stepped up and are going to upgrade my axles to 4400#. I take it to a local dealer this week to have that done. I will report how that goes when it's finished.

I have actually used it several times this summer and it has done what I got it for. It tows nicely behind my Toyota Tundra with a 4 way Equalizer WD hitch. I wish I had gotten a more upscale unit but it may work out for a while. I could use a bigger fresh water tank, the fuel filler could have some slope so gas wouldn't dribble on the ground while filling and I would like a slightly longer garage area. I should have gotten the cold weather package even though I won't be out much in below freezing temps. It's already cold enough at night above 10000 ft. to need dual pane windows.

All things considered, it is hard to find an alternative with the separate garage, the light weight for 1/2 ton towing and the features it has for the price. If I was to replace it for what I really want, I would probably have to go to a 5th wheel, spend more money and get a 3/4 ton truck. By the way, the biggest shortcoming of 1/2 ton TV's is the load capacity, not the towing capacity. If you will be using a 1/2 ton, spend time adjusting the WDH so the TV rear axle is not overloaded. Mine was until I readjusted it, now I have a 400# cushion.
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

My trailer is the 2013, came with the 4400# axles. I tow it with a tundra and found the biggest problem was the cheap stock tires on the tundra. I also think they upgraded some things for the newer year, the seat cushions dont seem that bad to me but the table is wobbly. It is designed to be removed to make a bed. All the cabinet hardware was intact, and fairly nice. The 100% external led lighting is nice as you will never have a bulb go out. For generators i got two yamaha 2kw portable units that link together to make roughly 3500 watts, this is a much more reliable system than the on board generator at less than half the cost and now i have 2 nice portable units if i need to use them for something else as well. I also have the cold weather package.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
10x

Where do I find the info if it has the 4400 axles? Is there a tag on it?
The one I am looking at is supposedly a 2013, I want to make sure.
thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

There is a tag on the axle itself or it is stamped into the cross tube.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
10x

I have to crawl under to see, there isn't anything else proving this besides seeing if the axles have the stamp?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #10

That's the only way I know to be sure. I would have it verified even for a 2013 model.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #11

I just purchased a 2013 and it is clearly stamped on both axles.
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmylabs View Post
I just purchased a 2013 and it is clearly stamped on both axles.
At what location on the axles? I am going to check it out on 2013 that I am interested in.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #13

They are visible from the rear of the trailer looking forward, about in the middle from side to side. They should be quite visible on a new trailer before the road grime has accumulated.
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Mine also has it on the info on the tag just above the generator compartment, front left side. But i would crawl under it to see for sure no matter what the tag says.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x
At what location on the axles? I am going to check it out on 2013 that I am interested in.
If you look at the yellow and white weight sticker above the generator compartment door it will show you what axles are on the trailer. The GVWR should be about 9600 lbs if it has the 4,400# axles (2 axles + tongue weight = GVWR)
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
10x

Thanks guys. Also what is a realistic price on this trailer? I have seen a wide range of prices on the internet.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x
Thanks guys. Also what is a realistic price on this trailer? I have seen a wide range of prices on the internet.
Make sure to do your due diligence, there are alot of guys out there advertising low prices for stripped down models. If you're comparing between dealers, make sure you know EXACTLY what options you're getting. Too many times people are lured by the cheapest price only to realize they would've liked some extra options.

As my grandpa always said, "You wouldn't go into a butcher and ask for the cheapest piece of meat you could get and didn't care where it came from, would you?"
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailertrash78 View Post
Make sure to do your due diligence, there are alot of guys out there advertising low prices for stripped down models. If you're comparing between dealers, make sure you know EXACTLY what options you're getting. Too many times people are lured by the cheapest price only to realize they would've liked some extra options.

As my grandpa always said, "You wouldn't go into a butcher and ask for the cheapest piece of meat you could get and didn't care where it came from, would you?"
I agree, but I have seen ranges from 34K to 20K somewhere lies the right price. What has folks on this forum paid for it?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #19

I have quite a few options:

Cold weather package
Extreme pkg
Side door in the garage
Tv
Fuel station
Off road tires
Also came with an elite wd hitch and two yamaha 2kw generators with linked cable

Paid $29,800. Msrp was 37000. Mine was a display model at a hunting/fishing show, also no sales tax in Montana and $177 for permanent tags.

Prices can vary widely with different options.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #20

10k I bought mine from RVWholesalers.com. They have very good prices, and you can order it with the options you want. Lots of people travel to them to purchase or have it delievered because of their prices. I met a couple from Canada there. Sounds like rah.rtt purchases a loaded model. I didn't get any extra options. I power mine with a honda 3000 generator.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote