Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

27HFS Ducted Air

I picked up a new to me 27HFS 2 weeks ago and did some driveway camping over the weekend to try and get use to most of the stuff on the TH. This isn't my first TH but my first this nice and can't figure out the ducted air. When I turn the AC on I get a nice strong blast of AC directly from the unit through the main duct under the unit. I thought that if I slide the gate and blocked the flow of air on the bottom side of the AC unit it would force it out the ducts in the roof but that wasn't the case. What am I missing?

I am going to try out the Heat this weekend before we take it out in a few weeks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is a 2011 XLR 27HFS with the 13500 BTU AC unit.
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

That's how mine works.. might want to open it up and make sure the filter thingy is not clogged up
crazycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

X-2, When I turn on the a/c it blows very strong under the a/c straight down. When I close that vent it blows out of the other vents, Not nearly as strong but enough to blow out a match. The ceiling vents toward the front seem to have a much stronger air flow than the vents toward the rear. I suspect that the turns and size of the duct work slow the air speed quite a bit.

Since it looks like you purchased a pre-owned unit. Is it possible someone changed the ceiling vents for the type that can be closed or shut off?

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks folks. I'll double check again tomorrow when I get home tomorrow. Wasn't for sure if I was doing it right or not.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

OK I figured it out today. I took the shroud off for the AC unit from inside the cabin to find that there is some factory attached sticky aluminum foil blocking the vents on both sides of the AC unit. Broke the seal on those and now the ducts blow air. Front ones are great as mentioned above but the 2 in the garage area are sub par at best. I might need to keep a circular fan on hand to push air back that way in the summer.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
OK I figured it out today. I took the shroud off for the AC unit from inside the cabin to find that there is some factory attached sticky aluminum foil blocking the vents on both sides of the AC unit. Broke the seal on those and now the ducts blow air. Front ones are great as mentioned above but the 2 in the garage area are sub par at best. I might need to keep a circular fan on hand to push air back that way in the summer.

Thanks for your help.
Block some of the front one off so you can force more air to the back. Do not block to much off because it might freeze up> I would start with 1/3 and work your way up. That will force the air back where you want more think of it as a cheap damper.......hope that helps.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

That is a good idea. I bust out some duct tape and see how that works.