Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

27HFS Fresh water tank leak

So,

on our way home for Disney the other week i noticed at our halfway stopping point (busybee near lake city FL) that i had a leak. since i knew i emptied the grey tanks fully, it only left it to be the fresh water and black. as i took the advice from others to put some water in the black water first so that he waste doesnt sit on the floor of the tank.

Anywho, i checked the levels and it happened to be the fresh water tank dropping. by the time i went to look the next day after getting home the fresh water tank was empty...it started at 2/3 full.

the leak was coming from around/above where the blue drain(?) line was underneath, but it kinda looked like it was above where they sprayed some foam for the line coming out...does anyone know how its suppose to be up there or maybe had the same problem? Im hoping that maybe the line just came loose attaching to the tanks and it will be a quick fix. i know the cap wasnt fully tight on the blue line coming out from beneath the TH toward the back probably the first or second time i went to use it.

on a side note, i didnt have any leaking problems where at Disney and when the city water was hooked up.
MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #2

On some units, if the vent line doesn't go up high enough before it turns and drops down, you can get a siphon effect and suck water out of the tank through the vent line. This is because most vent lines really come off the side of the tank, not the top. Most folks only travel with a little water in their tanks, so it's not usually an issue, but if you're going to travel with a full tank, check the height of the loop in your vent line and raise it up if you can. Some folks have installed a valve in the vent line; if you do this, you have to make sure you open it when filling/using/draining or you'll explode/implode your tank..

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

how am i able to check to see how the line comes off? is there a access panel of some sort from the inside?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
John513

Mine leaked there also. Peal the foam away from it and see where it's coming from. Shouldn't take much to see as it goes into bottom of tank right there. It's either leaking around the pex pipe that attaches to the fitting or the fitting that screws into tank.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks alot! once i get it back to the house next ill have to peel the foam away and check...its nice to have at least an idea of what to expect
Old 04-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

You can also remove a few screws that attach the coroplast, open it a little and peer in. An easy check is to be sure the FW tank drain is tight. Don't force it... All plastic.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

So since the camper has been in the driveway the last few weeks ive been doing some Mx tasks. I finally got around to looking into the fresh water tank leak. my father in-law and i fillled the fresh water tank all the way anndddddd nothing...no leak...i dont get it? i removed the spray foam from around the drain and saw nothing leaking. my only thought is maybe from all the shifting around when we were driving maybe the spray foam pressed against the drain line causing the leak?
Old 06-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #8

X2 that #2 reply. Sometimes ill get that siphon and sometimes no. Seems to depend the pressure of the water source while filling.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water, water tank