Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

27HFS many problems

I've had my 27HFS for about 6 months now. It spent it first 30 days in the shop just fixing all the bad factory work. I even had to start making my first payments on it before I even got to take delivery of it from the dealer. Not a happy camper.

Short list of problems.
AC Failed and replaced
bad cabinet work and scared panels
lights not working
Wrong sink
missing keys
Bad 110v inlet wiring, almost burned whole trailer down, caught just in time as it started to melt the siding.
Generator would not start
Fuel pump station did not pump.

After closing on the unit, it spent another 30 days at the dealer getting the basics to working order. Not happy at all with the workmanship and lack of quality control. Bought from LazyDays in Tampa, FL. They are a good dealer but this should have never happen as they failed to test it out before delivery.
bertburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hope they have been resolved and you can start enjoying your TT. We have had several issue with ours also but most have been very minor and nothing that kept us from using it. I am still waiting for warranty approval on several things and then I will take in.

It just seems that alot of the negative threads and posts on this and other forums are regarding quality control. It appears that the manufacturers do not test and inspect the units all that well. Then they are transported to a dealer who also does not test them very well.

IMHO the manufacturer should show a pride in their product and monitor the dealers that represent them. When the customer takes delivery the dealer and factory should be equally confident that they have delivered the best product possible. There will be problems with anything but fixing it right and in a timely manner is key.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Sorry to read about your problems, bertbunch. I guess we were lucky in getting our 27hfs. Had one problem, ramp door got moisture inside, which was fixed under warranty last summer. We have owned ours for about 1-1/2 years and have been pretty satisfied.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertburch View Post
I've had my 27HFS for about 6 months now. It spent it first 30 days in the shop just fixing all the bad factory work. I even had to start making my first payments on it before I even got to take delivery of it from the dealer. Not a happy camper.

Short list of problems.
AC Failed and replaced
lights not working
Wrong sink
missing keys
Bad 110v inlet wiring, almost burned whole trailer down, caught just in time as it started to melt the siding.

After closing on the unit, it spent another 30 days at the dealer getting the basics to working order. Not happy at all with the workmanship and lack of quality control. Bought from LazyDays in Tampa, FL. They are a good dealer but this should have never happen as they failed to test it out before delivery.
I had to bring mine back to Lazy Days for the same problems. They had my unit for over a month, back and forth from home. They lost my Equalizer L-brackets from my trade in, gave me a new Blue Ox. I got to the point if I can fix it I do it myself. I really think the quality control is a RV industry problem. I have friends that have different brands and have bought from different dealers. They have had issues too.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

I am really sorry to hear of your problems. After a nightmare dealer delivery that included a bait and switch on the hitch and an inability to fix a problem with the water lines for hours my 24hfs has been remarkably good so far (knocking on wood).

The thing that has surprised me the most is the fit and finish is actually quite good. The shower walls have a little wave but otherwise I have not found any leaks and all cooling and heating has been great. I have the extreme pkg so the beefier air.

Mine if very squeaky when i walk around and i have not been able to pinpoint it but otherwise my biggest complaint is I want a bigger one with a slide out!

Sorry your unit was not so lucky. It really does seem like a roll of the dice with all of these travel trailers.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertburch View Post

Short list of problems.
AC Failed and replaced
lights not working
Wrong sink
missing keys

My 24hfs had had a few issues as well. The fresh water low point drain was actually rubbing on my axle. Which I turn caused a crack in the tank and me losing all my water while I was out in the bush.warranty got it fixed and they put a couple of elbows on the drain but I may raise the tank up a bit as it still looks close. Also the front light switch by the propane was so corroded it just died.i only had the trailer for 3 months at most by that point. When I first got ownership, the fuel hose barely was long enough to fill my quad so I got them to add a longer hose. Also my front axle is super creaky while turning corners. Anyone else have loud cracking/creaking while turning? Dealer says its normal but that mine seems extra noisy. ..
supreme87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #7

to the op ....with that many problems still in the dealers hands I would've asked for another unit on the lot! sorry to hear you bad experience but the manufacturer and dealership really don't check anything( as you now know ) and that is why it is sooo important to make sure they have had it plugged in for several hours before you get there to pick it up then you want to turn everything on at the same time and see if something doesn't work before you leave. hope they get it all fixed the right way!

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

i love my xlr27 but there are lemon laws that you can look into. I have a friend that had multiple issues with a toyhauler from the same dealership (but could have been any dealership as the unit was made by Forest river), with lots of days spent at the dealership. He got another entire toy hauler as it met lemon law criteria..
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

We bought a used 2013 24 HFS that had been used 2 times before we got it. It has the extreme weather package and generator and everything has been ok so far. I have not heard the axel creaking, but I will start listening for that. If you find out what is causing it please post it. We have spent 18 nights in it since we got it. Hope everyone gets there toyhauler's fixed and enjoy them.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #10

my best guess would be the bushings in the eye's of the leaf springs and there bolts are what you are hearing. I bought mine new off the lot and went to change all over to wet bolts with bronze bushings along with the dexter ez flex system and saw that in 1 year my bushings were already worn to the point of replacement imo. the wet bolts are nice because the center is drilled out for a grease zert. and the shackles are twice as thick but all of this can cause the squeaks and popps mine does not do this however.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #11

I just bought my 27hfs in October immediately using 30 days and found water pump leak shower leak Guage not working switches and lights not working. Its been in twice for warranty work so far and im hoping all the bugs are getting fixed. Just had 4k watt Cummins generator installed not as quiet as I had thought but so far since October ive used it 38 days 3 of which with new generator

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forest River Forums mobile app
brightmare is offline   Reply With Quote