Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 04:20 AM   #1

27HFS only taking 14 gallons of fuel

I was in Daytona at Biketober fest, and ran the gen until almost empty...Meter was in the red. Fueled up and only took a little over 14 gals of fuel. This is my second attempt at this and both times it looks like it is only holding around 15 gals of fuel. Anyone else having this issue. I thought it should hold 30 gals. Am I missing something when fueling up?
Once A Marine, Always A Marine
TechBeckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

On the 425 the fueling station holds 30 gallons and the tank for the generator holds 18 gallons and that is for a 5.5 Onan not sure about the 27hfs but I couldn't imagine it being larger if it has both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

Yup, that's what goes in..... on mine it will run out after 4.5 to 5 gallons out of the 18 gallon tank..... I assume the fuel pickup line isn't deep enough.
What's really frustrating is the pump on the 30 gallon doesn't work. Grrrrrrr.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

Our HFS has a 30 gal tank with no fueling station. The fill neck is not at the correct angle and takes a knack to get it to take fuel on the fill up. I've had best luck holding the pump handle upside down and filling slow. It will hold 30 gallons and I can get around 45 hrs on a tank.
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:32 AM   #5

You are correct if you generator only you get the 30 gallon tank and if you get fuel station and generator one is 18 and one is 30.
I would have preferred the generator tank on mine to have been the 30 instead of the 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

So this may sound stupid, but I only have one fuel cap. I assume that the fuel goes in the one entry and gets routed to both tanks, again this may sound stupid, but after you run low on fuel for the gen, can you use the fuel station to refil? Like I said "this may sound stupid"
Once A Marine, Always A Marine
TechBeckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #7

27HFS only taking 14 gallons of fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBeckster View Post
So this may sound stupid, but I only have one fuel cap. I assume that the fuel goes in the one entry and gets routed to both tanks, again this may sound stupid, but after you run low on fuel for the gen, can you use the fuel station to refil? Like I said "this may sound stupid"

Mine has a single 30 gallon tank for genny and fueling station. On mine, there is a pump line from the genny into the fuel tank but it is not on the bottom of the tank. I was told this was so you don't run out of fuel for toys because of the genny. You can pump back into the tank, but you aren't changing the level of fuel, you are only circulating the gas back into the same tank.

I would think you have a single tank like I do. You might want to crawl under you unit to check, but I highly doubt you have 2 tanks with only one cap. If so, if the genny runs out of gas, you should still be able to pump gas to a toy, but you won't be able to run the genny until you add more gas.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
Mine has a single 30 gallon tank for genny and fueling station. On mine, there is a pump line from the genny into the fuel tank but it is not on the bottom of the tank. I was told this was so you don't run out of fuel for toys because of the genny. You can pump back into the tank, but you aren't changing the level of fuel, you are only circulating the gas back into the same tank.

I would think you have a single tank like I do. You might want to crawl under you unit to check, but I highly doubt you have 2 tanks with only one cap. If so, if the genny runs out of gas, you should still be able to pump gas to a toy, but you won't be able to run the genny until you add more gas.

X2 The fuel tanks will be under the garage and they will not be sealed up in the chloroplast under belly. They'll be easily seen.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #9

Slope at station

I've run into the venting problem on several boats. I fount that having the fill line on the highest side makes it easy to fill, but if the fill is on the low side it is impossible. Most gas stations are very level, but if you find one that slopes a little, that might help.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBeckster View Post
I was in Daytona at Biketober fest, and ran the gen until almost empty...Meter was in the red. Fueled up and only took a little over 14 gals of fuel. This is my second attempt at this and both times it looks like it is only holding around 15 gals of fuel. Anyone else having this issue. I thought it should hold 30 gals. Am I missing something when fueling up?

The fuel pick up line is not long enough . a good excuse is it's that way so you have extra fuel for your toys . imo BS and is just an excuse . the only way to fix will be to go into the tank and replace the pick up lines with longer ones . the tanks are hard to fill but can be done . they do not seem to hold the 20 gal as stated in the spec sheet .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #11

Agreed. I could fill tanks with appropriate amount per tank but only getting about 30 percent out before running line dry was unusable.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
Agreed. I could fill tanks with appropriate amount per tank but only getting about 30 percent out before running line dry was unusable.
yes . these fuel stations need some work . i have not given it much attention since i un kinked the line so the pump could flow . The tank and pump are very accessible and fixing any issues should not be to bad . I know mine leaves about 3 to 5 gallons in it after the pump quits picking up fuel . hate have gas getting stale
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote