Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #1

27HFS removing Dinette

Has anyone thought about removing the dinette as the foam in the seats suck. Was thinking of either making permanent day bed or recliner or reclingin love seat as I eat there for a total of 30 min a day but sit there either online or watching tv for alot longer. How much weight can the slideout support??? A insite on my camping habits there will be no more than 2 of us plus the dog in the trailer, so 2 recliners work as well as love seat recliners, They do make air plane style trays for eating and laptops tht will work.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Took the booth dinette out of the Cougar I used to own and put a futon there. Never really used the dinette and wasn't very comfy.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #3

removed table

I removed the dinette table from my 27HFS and built a padded insert. In effect, I've got a really deep sofa/bed kinda thing going on. My 3 dogs love it I sit in a camp chair next to the dinette area.

I'm thinking about replacing the whole set up with a futon, but haven't gotten around to it.

Kathy
waterlover63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlover63 View Post
I removed the dinette table from my 27HFS and built a padded insert. In effect, I've got a really deep sofa/bed kinda thing going on. My 3 dogs love it I sit in a camp chair next to the dinette area.

I'm thinking about replacing the whole set up with a futon, but haven't gotten around to it.

Kathy
Kathy can you post some pics of it? I am real interested in getting rid of it but would like to see options first.
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Old 06-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #5

sure! unfortunately the trailer is in the shop right now and I'm not sure when I'll get it back

There is a wooden lip on the sides of the dinette seats. It looks like the table should fold down and fit in the "cut-out" area of the dinette, but it's slightly too large.

I cut a piece of plywood so that it would rest on that lip. Then added foam and upholstered it. That doesn't fix the problem of the factory foam, but it's a start!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

The Factory foam is made for a 20lb kid. I either want to do a couch(worried about weight) or a futon or recliner chair... I am thinking futon as it is the lightest solution. I even thought of permanent like you did and put a twin mattress on top and make it a day bed
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Old 06-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Namchief,
I took my dinette set out and kept the bottoms(storage under neath) of my 29 MBV XLR toy hauler. I then put one of the bottoms of the dinette on top of the other and I took the top of the dinette and used it as a counter top for the combined units. New edge molding and the leather tops of the dinette to finish it out.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
Namchief,
I took my dinette set out and kept the bottoms(storage under neath) of my 29 MBV XLR toy hauler. I then put one of the bottoms of the dinette on top of the other and I took the top of the dinette and used it as a counter top for the combined units. New edge molding and the leather tops of the dinette to finish it out.
Jester
Can you post pictures????
Thanks
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

[Namchief,
Better late than never! Phones are sometimes not friendly with me. Here are some pics of the mods on the dinette in my 29MBV TH. My I-Phone was giving me issues (sorry for the quality).
Jester
[Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture phone 194.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	15174

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture phone 192.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	15176

Name:	Picture phone 193.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	15177

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #10

When we were running from Hurricane Rita my friends were taking their Cardnial and with two families we needed more seating and sleeping areas so they took out their table and put in another sleeper sofa. Worked great and they never put the table back in. We used folding tables to eat off of.
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

dinette mod pics

Finally got the trailer back and got pictures.

Kathy
Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

We ordered our 35x12 with the 2 "theater seating" chairs and removable free-standing dinette. We plan to remove/store the dinette and turn the space into a computer workstation for full-timing. Don't have the trailer yet... pick it up this Saturday (crosses fingers on decision!)
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #13

For $250 I am going with the futon but in black

1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #14

27 HSF
They use a very low density foam in the original cushions that is horribly uncomfortable. We considered installing a very high density foam but since we didn't like the layout anyway we bought these 2 Euro recliners that work quite well. The dinette was never going to be comfortable for lounging. It is a little snug-you have to be somewhat careful to be upright when swiveling so you don't hit the window-but it hasn't been a problem so far. Otherwise there is room to recline. I didn't mount them to the floor as I wanted to be able to relocate at least one of them for viewing the tv that mounts to the left. You can see I just use a 4 ft bungee to tie them to the table for travel. The table was rotated 90 degrees and lowered by 2 inches. It was way too tall even for the dinette. The table was very wobbly before and I was going to mount a latch on the wall to hold it steady but it seems to be better this direction so haven't done that yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120909_101543.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	19330  
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech
27 HSF
They use a very low density foam in the original cushions that is horribly uncomfortable. We considered installing a very high density foam but since we didn't like the layout anyway we bought these 2 Euro recliners that work quite well. The dinette was never going to be comfortable for lounging. It is a little snug-you have to be somewhat careful to be upright when swiveling so you don't hit the window-but it hasn't been a problem so far. Otherwise there is room to recline. I didn't mount them to the floor as I wanted to be able to relocate at least one of them for viewing the tv that mounts to the left. You can see I just use a 4 ft bungee to tie them to the table for travel. The table was rotated 90 degrees and lowered by 2 inches. It was way too tall even for the dinette. The table was very wobbly before and I was going to mount a latch on the wall to hold it steady but it seems to be better this direction so haven't done that yet.
Looks great! Cool idea for the chairs
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #16

I like this. When you removed the seating area was the carpet already there?
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #17

The carpet is there covering the entire floor. Didn't have to do anything with that. Other than rotating the table, the only mod I made was to the thin vertical trim strips on the front and rear corners of the slide out. They stopped at the top of the dinette seat back. I removed the wall colored trim from the front corner and cut it to length to extend the rear trim to the floor. New same size trim, about 3/4 in. wide, that matched the dark wood grain surrounding the slide out was then installed on the front corners from ceiling to floor. The only thing visible, and you have to look real close, are the few screw holes that attached the seats to the wall.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
27 HSF
I would love to do something like this, but I don't want to give up the storage under the seats.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote