Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

27HFS Suspension question

Has anyone had their springs put over the axle on the HFS to get it higher? If so, what are your thoughts?
Kidhunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

First thought? It will raise the trailer about 6-1/2 inches which will change center of gravity. Does it matter? Only when it matters. The only reason to raise it is if your dragging around off-road and if you are, you better take some other precautions like skid plates and big heavy tire. Oh, and then there's the center of gravity thing that will matter a lot more when off-roading. My thoughts
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Yes, we have a lot of instances where we go off of the pavement. I don't think the center of gravity deal is a big deal. I just was wondering if there were any issues lifting up the 27HFS in specific?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

if it raises 6.5 " then you may not like it much towing. like GD states higher center of gravity is a big deal on these units that sit over 10' tall . you may first see if taller tires may put you where you need to be . or maybe leaf spring shackles to give you a couple inches . 6.5 is pretty much . you may not notice it at first but around some sharps turns you may end up regretting it . maybe if you widened the axles to accommodate the higher center
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #5

Tell me about the leaf-spring shackles?????/
Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

do a search on the net for shackles lifts for campers/ rv . i think camping world carries some that will give you a few inches . if you move the spring to on top of the axle . if there not there all ready you will raise the height buy the thickness of the axles and also the thickness of the springs . i can see a 2 to 4 inch raise not being tom bad but 6.5 would be like big foot
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

That sounds great! Thanks for the input.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Well, I'm not really finding anything as far as different shackles go. Mainly guys are doing what I did to my old camper, just setting the springs on top of the axle instead of them being under it. Has anyone done it to a 27HFS?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

you have another post on here and I replied there concerning what we did with my work and play. See it and I can tell you more if you want.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension