Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

27HFS was stolen and recovered, now what?

Looking for advice from some fellow camper friends. We have a 27HFS that was stolen, missing for a 3 days (estimate) and then recovered. The jerks pryed the doors open. Stole my generator, took the tvs off the mounts (I guess with the intent to take them). They ruined some components of my WD hitch, ruined one of the stabilizers. Left the roof vents open (during some rain storms). The sheriff's department came through and dusted for prints...and now there's that black dust everywhere.

At first I was leaning towards keeping the camper and just asking Allstate to repair the damage. But the more and more I think about all the unknown issues, the more I really feel like I should push them to replace the camper.

Does anyone have prior experience with this?

Thanks,
-Eli
Cape Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Does your policy include replacement coverage?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

So very sorry for your loss. I think about this happening and i'm sure it is a real nightmare when it does happen to you.

I guess if my policy allowed, I would rather total it out and replace than have stuff fixed and then find follow up issues afterward that would not be covered. Like vehicles these days, it doesn't take much for the bill to be over and above what it is worth. Wishing you luck and good fortune on the issue!
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

I think if my policy allowed it I would push for replacement.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

It happened to me in November 2014. It was found a week later, and I couldn't keep it because the man and his little son were living it. The insurance covered everything except my deductible. I traded it in for this current one. New TT, new chapter.

If you have any questions, PM me.
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #6

Get rid of it....around here they steel them and take them in the woods and make meth....when we finally find them, they are so bad with fumes from drug making they are not worth it.

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
jkoenig24

You didn't say where this happened. My enclosed car trailer was stolen while I was in Elkhart, IN. The Police Officer taking the report told me that Elkhart is the trailer theft capital of the world. My trailer was not recovered.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #8

If you have replacement coverage, I would replace it. Hidden damage can go on for years and that's a real fight with the insurance company. We really enjoyed that TT but it became one thing after another, so we finally sold ours and bought a another.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Generally, if the 'book value' of your unit is (nominally) $10k and Allstate figures it will cost $9.9k to fix it, they won't 'total' it.

Just be vigilant, help the adjuster without pestering him/her. They want the case off the books. The adjuster just wants to be able to close the claim with as littl hassle as possible.

You can either help or you can get in the way. I strongly recommend you help.

I think you'll find they're pretty easy to work with. About as easy to work with as you will be. You make their life difficult, they can find something else to do.

I'm not awarer of 'replacement cost' policies on RV's from Allstate. Or anyone else for that matter. That doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means I'm not aware of them.

Just let the Adjuster know you want to help. If he/she is a butthead, talk to the Claims manager or your Agent. Agents out-rank Adjusters. They can't interfere, technically, but they can hold them accountable internally. Adjusters don't want to butt heads with Agents.

Try to help the adjuster, he/she has a difficult job
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

Everything we own is with Allstate. They are attentive to us in the extreme. We jus' had a $12K payout for a damaged roof. No hassle...got much more than I expected. No, I never worked for Allstate...jus' happens that after a lifetime of being irritated with myriad other companies Allstate treats us the best...maybe because we're all-in with them.

Tags
cover