Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #21

steve I use a ez up for a garage also when unloaded . which is most of the time only load the bike when i'm hitting the road ,since i've been full timeing it since last april it works well . getting ready to start heading back west in a couple more weeks . Fort Meyers was fun for the winter did tons of kayaking /flyfishing caught lots of fish and rode all winter . now it's west yellowstone for the summer of fishing and riding i might even get some work in on the side
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #22

NS,
Happy the trip south worked out. Looking forward to the family trip (minus the bike...) to Yellowstone this summer.

Original OP,
The key to any chock is just making sure it does not move while traveling. All will hold the bike upright. Just need to either makes sure it's tied down or mounted to the floor. For me, the cheap HB does the job with Rachel straps.

Good hunting....
Old 03-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
My wife and I got to go look at a 27 and a 29 this past weekend at a dealer in MA. I was happy to see the garage is flat and no beaver tail. That will be much easier to put our goldwing up on the center stand if need be.
Center stand??? Do not do that. They are designed to hold the bike when stationary. When traveling with the bike wheels in a chock the suspension on the bike will have a little movement from dips and bumps you encounter on the road. You only need enough tension on the hold down straps to prevent side to side movement. The center stand down will let all the bumps and vibrations transfer directly to the frame....not good.

Regarding the beaver tail, a lot of toyhaulers without it need a lifting chock at the end of the ramp to prevent road bikes from dragging the frame during loading. Beaver tails solve that issue.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #24

Thanks. I should have been more clear. I won't trailer on the center stand but If I wanted to clean or check tire pressure etc the center stand is handy.

I have read that some folks put a hump of sorts in the ramp to lift the rear of the bike enough to load. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Thanks all for the great info.
EricV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #25

EricV,
It's pretty easy to raise the tongue up as high as you need to adjust the rear ramp. Just chock the TH tires.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #26

EricV, what Steve said! If I'm by myself, many times put my bike in the garage every day, but if the site causes me to have to run the tongue up and down, I will keep it out; parked under an EZ up, like the other's use. Also, a wet or sanding ramp can cause concern. Frankly, I wish the Hyperlites came with a beaver tail to lessen the angle at the top. I have since the last time camping bought a electric tongue jack, so that task will be easier next time.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote