Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
29 XLR Trailer Sway Solution

Well I finally go tired of resetting my hitch every time I pulled my trailer empty, full (two 900lb Harleys in the garage), wind, rain, water in tank and water out, etc.... Every combination require hitch adjustments to avoid major trailer sway. Even with the adjustments sway would begin between 55mph and 70mph and drop 10 mph due to rain and/or wind, small car passing, etc. Short of buying a F350 dully I finally bought a Hensley hitch. I looked at Propride and Hensley and chose Hensley because they were 50 miles from my house. I go tomorrow to have it installed at the factory and drop $2500. Anyone have advice before I drop the $2500 on the final solution? Hensley claims it will stop the sway (so does Propride). If so it's worth the $2500 if I can pull without issue.

Any other thoughts.

rocrider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
If you do a search you will find people that have either would not pull without one.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
I have never read one person dissatisfied with their purchase of either. Go for it.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
I love my propride 3. It was a pain to install, and sometimes to hook up, but it works great.

The caveat is that I don't really have anything to compare with. When I got the 10K (empty) trailer to pull behind the 3/4 ton truck I didn't want to mess with trying all kinds of solutions so I went straight to the propride 3. There may or may not have been an equally good solution for less $.

As for adjusting, there really isn't much involved. You just turn a 3/4" head on the jacks to adjust the amount of WD. I use an old 18V cordless dewalt drill for that instead of the 3/4" ratchet they provide.

I would assume that the hensley will perform roughly the same.
2015 XLR Nitro 31FQSL
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L Turbo Diesel
JackAndJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Paying to install

I'm going right to the source which is 50 miles from my house. The Romeo Michigan factory will install it for another $175. Which I thought was worth it so I could watch and ask questions right from the experts. Appointment is 8:00 am tomorrow.

Can't find a negative on Hensley or Propride that is worth worrying about. The two websites poke at each other but it seems a bit petty. Owners love both.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
You won't regret the Hensley purchase. What's the GVWR on the trailer? You're limited to 1,400# tongue weight / 14,000# max trailer weight with the Hensley and 1,400# bars.
4Galvs + DN = 5Galvs
2009 Rockwood 8317SS O 2011 GMC Yukon Denali AWD
5Galv's Campsite
5Galvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #7

I have had both, and I would pick the Pro-Pride. It is great to connect & disconnect. I found the Hensley was a learning curve each time I connected & disconnected. The other great feature the Pro-Pride has is the ability to change towing vehicles in a matter of an hour, because you can adjust the connection pin. The Hensley bar has to be return to the factory or order an additional one this is costly and takes time.
mcrib2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

A few years back, when I brought my brand new trailer home from the dealer, it scared me to death. It was all over the road. After a lot of soul searching, I bought a Hensley Arrow. After the first time out, I would never leave home without it. Before when a semi passed me the trailer would start to sway when the truck started to pass me. After the installation, unless you were watching in your rear view mirror, you did not even know you were being passed.
I think the bane of all trailer haulers is a broadside wind. The Hensley hitch also helped in this situation. I sometimes had a little problem hooking up, but all in all, It was a great way to go. I liked the company so well, that when it came time to graduate to a 5er, I bought their trailer saver 5er hitch. Good luck and happy towing.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
I bought my Propride a year or two back second hand from another user on here.

After having a lot of wonder from trailer, which is a 37' bumper pull, i wanted to try and do something to help it out...

The addition of the pro pride was awesome. I really like it, but it really hasn't eliminated the wonder of the trailer. It has however made it so the trailer and the truck act as one unit. I do not feel the tail of the trailer pulling from side to side when passing or being passed by a semi. side note, i think the wonder may me more of an issue with the camper tires than anything...

The concept of the hensley and propride as far as backing into has a learning curve, but with some experience I much rather prefer to back into my propride than i do any other ball and socket style hitch! Especially with the back up cameras being installed on the trucks...

you wont regret buying the hensley, they are well worth the money.

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Well I did it, drove there empty, barely able to do 60 mph dancing in the wind and the passing of trucks, both hands white knuckled on the wheel. 2 hours later Dennis at Hensley had it installed, I hooked it up (it can be done with a little knowledge) and away we went. A few miles on the highway and I was one handing it drinking my coffee. My wife mentioned that I was much more relaxed and doing 80 mph. I slowed down of course and enjoyed the rest of the ride. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Next stop was used trailer land if it wasn't fixed. Amazing what piece of mind $2500 will buy you.

sway, trailer, xlr