Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #31

rookie19

How about one of these , atv type exhaust silencer . I'm sure it could be fitting the the exhaust . a muffler shop could bend a pipe or 2 with some hangers etc . the unit you posted looks good for taking the exhaust up and out of the way . But wonder how well it would reduce noise . a true silencer can reduce the noise by 50% .
Just a thought

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ust%20silencer

Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #32

I see an Onan 4K in Nashville on Craigslist for $1K... if anyone is close.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #33

That's ok wolf whistle. You fixed the problem.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
rookie19

How about one of these , atv type exhaust silencer . I'm sure it could be fitting the the exhaust . a muffler shop could bend a pipe or 2 with some hangers etc . the unit you posted looks good for taking the exhaust up and out of the way . But wonder how well it would reduce noise . a true silencer can reduce the noise by 50% .
Just a thought

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ust%20silencer

Moving the exhaust would help.
Think of it this way. Let's say you have a truck with aftermarket exhaust that only comes out one side.... The truck will be louder on one side the exhaust comes out vs the side that doesn't have the pipe... Just like how it is with the trailer. It's very quiet on the right side but if you go to the left side it's louder as that's the way it points. A good amount of sound the generator produces is from the exhaust. The intakes too on some can produce a good amount of noise depending on how it's built.

Plus you wouldn't want to add an additional silencer as it would increase the back pressure and build additional heat which will change the performance and longevity of the machine as it wasn't designed for an additional silencer.

I'm not about to change the exhaust. I MIGHT so the extension but highly doubt I'll do it.... One because I'm cheap and two because I don't think it's that loud. All I wanted to do was reduce interior noise which I did.
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #35

the additional silencer would not add to back pressure or heat , they are larger dia and will muffle sound without increasing back pressure , we are talking about 11/8' exhaust . a extra silencer with a 1.5' in and out would just help reduce sound . most of the atv silencers are meant to be used with the existing muffler . the set up you show would redirect exhaust gas , but doubt it will reduce noise that much as it has a separation between the 2 units IMO
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #36

2 EU2000s run everything. If a/c is not needed, one is sufficient.

Tags
generator