Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Not sure what you mean by "use the black tank flush once I'm home to add water for emptying purposes." BTF should always be used with the black tank drain valve open, or the pressure buildup from the BTF could damage the seams in your tank. If you want to fill your black tank before draining, then close the drain valve, prop open the toilet flush valve, and run the water into it until full. BTF is for flushing/cleaning only, not filling.

The black tank flush ads water in the tank the same as the shower does in my situation it doesn't pressurize the tank because there's a vent to the tank. Your supossed to drain your tank close your valve fill up the tank with water and drain again if you'd like to get it really clean. You would never get the proper flow to actually clean it well if you left your valve open. You should really rethink how your doing it.
powerstroke2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke2310 View Post
The black tank flush ads water in the tank the same as the shower does in my situation it doesn't pressurize the tank because there's a vent to the tank. Your supossed to drain your tank close your valve fill up the tank with water and drain again if you'd like to get it really clean. You would never get the proper flow to actually clean it well if you left your valve open. You should really rethink how your doing it.
Believe me, I'm quite particular about how I clean my tanks. I've been doing this for several years and I've had campers both with and without black tank flushers. I always fill my black tank, regardless of what level it is when it's time to drain, before I open the valve. Then I run the flusher for 15 minutes, with the drain valve open, to flush out the gunk. When I didn't have a black tank flush, I did exactly what you described, refill with clean water and drain again. If I have time before I leave the campground, I'll often refill the black and flush it again anyway. But it's not really necessary with the black tank flush. Trust me, I don't need to rethink anything. If you want to run your black tank flusher with the drain valve closed, that's your business, but then don't post up questions about it after you damage your tank.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke2310 View Post
am i slow is there a simple fix to this or do i have to drop the covers and re pipe. side note, my camper has grey water 1 and grey water 2 gauges is there actually two tanks?
The 29 has 2 grey tanks on for kitchen and one for lav and shower . black it for toilet only . if your shower is going into your black then somethings wrong and was plumbed wrong at factory .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Believe me, I'm quite particular about how I clean my tanks. I've been doing this for several years and I've had campers both with and without black tank flushers. I always fill my black tank, regardless of what level it is when it's time to drain, before I open the valve. Then I run the flusher for 15 minutes, with the drain valve open, to flush out the gunk. When I didn't have a black tank flush, I did exactly what you described, refill with clean water and drain again. If I have time before I leave the campground, I'll often refill the black and flush it again anyway. But it's not really necessary with the black tank flush. Trust me, I don't need to rethink anything. If you want to run your black tank flusher with the drain valve closed, that's your business, but then don't post up questions about it after you damage your tank.
I think the dealer tech that told you this is full of it
the BTF is there to flush the tank . since day one i use it to flush the black tank once it's empty i use the BTF to fill and flush again . the only thing that will happen if you forget is it will overflow into your unit viva the toilet .
no way it can split the tank any more then filling though the toilet use can split the tank . to get a good clean leave a few gallons in the black tank when you travel it will loosen any stuck poop and then flush out at next location .

and don't think for a minute the BTF gets the tank real clean . I know from seeing tanks removed that were coated in poop that had BTF's . the only sure way is to fill and flush and then drive a bit with a few gallons of water to get a good clean
Old 05-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #25

T, the tank is vented, how could it blow the seams? I'm sure the reason the manual says to have black drain open is to eliminate the possibility of overflow from the toilet into the interior mention by 5picker and others. I've used the BTF many times to fill or nearly fill it to get a good flush and to knock paper from the sensors. Who told you that should stick to managing and sales ... Probably has never used a BTF.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #26

PS, that is strange. I wonder if you took the belly pan loose on the side towards the drain and see if the shower drain is on the back side towards the rear of the trailer or towards the front if it's towards the front ... straight down will be the black tank. My shower drain is on the end towards the back of the trailer. The other question do you have gray tank to the rear of the black tank.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #27

I cannot see where the btf would over pressurize your tank and burst open at the seems. That's a load of crap. You have a vent on the tank to relieve pressure. Worst case would be you overfill it and it spews out somewhere like your toilet or a vent. Now maybe you can overfill it and the weight of all that makes a seem busy open but I can't even see that.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #28

If you fill with the BTF and forget about it (like after having too many adult sodas), it'll also come out the vent on the roof and start dripping on you if the rig is tilted the right (or wrong) way ... don't ask how I know. I also know the only damage was to my ego ... the tank was just fine and dandy.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #29

My rig has 2 gray water tanks and 1 black water tank....1 gray water is for the gally and 1 is for the shower and the bathroom sink...and has 3 handles to empty each one....the gally one is alittle hard to find,its tucked underneath...
Old 05-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
My rig has 2 gray water tanks and 1 black water tank....1 gray water is for the gally and 1 is for the shower and the bathroom sink...and has 3 handles to empty each one....the gally one is alittle hard to find,its tucked underneath...
all the tank valves seem hard to reach . I added another for the kitchen tank closer to where the others are . Now i don't have to crawl under slide to get to it . also added a cable opening valve for the black tank so now i can easily reach all the handles from one spot . the black tank was a pain because it was so far back under the unit .

Tags
black, black tank, drain, show, shower, tank