Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
GDavidHughes, First thing you have to realize is the number of 29 owners on this forum is few, but growing. I know what my 29 weighed as it left the factory. I would assume the 2015 (early) brochure was correct stating the TW. Until proven wrong, I will trust that it is very close. With so many variables, I frankly don't see how my weight (for instance) helps you. I don't have two goldwings or Ultras to load in the bay and what each of us would carry, especially water changes things drastically. Do we even know that my unit and your's has axles in the exact same placement; no, only the XLR guys would know this. And, I bet they are getting quite a chuckle out of our rambling and 'rithmetic.

That 2.5 to 1 TWR, we all have heard is more like 3.5 to 1 when the weight is placed about 4 feet from the garage / bathroom wall. Such as would be the case with two heavy motorcycles, side by side.... as far forward as possible.

So, its only geometry, dear Watson! But, you got me thinking, measuring and plugging all that into an Excel spreadsheet, which I am decent using. Not the ace, but not too bad. I can send you the spreadsheet if you let me know your email via PM, that is if you have the application.

If not, you can download a free viewer, but the idea is that you change the numbers and play with it to find weights and the important TW ratio.

I have attached three screenshots of the spreadsheet, for what their worth and if you can see them, maybe this will help.

Top one has 2000 in the garage (like two bikes side by side front wheel near the forward wall), 54 gals of water, and a paltry amount of other cargo that will max it out (276#) and has a 7.72% TWR. The middle one with 2000, 20 gals of water and maxed out; 7.71% TWR. The bottom 1500, 54, and maxed out; has 11.71 TWR.

When I put the best estimate of my typical loading, into to the spreadsheet: 1000, 20, all of her "stuff" and I am more than 1000 from being maxed out. The TW ratio is over 14% according to my "guess-tomater." I know when I drop it onto the 2500, the TW is substantial.

Anyone who wants to play with the sheet, let me know how to get it to you.

Another point, I'd like to make is that by plugging in loading in any combination, the 4400# axles and "D" rated tires were never shown to be anywhere near overloaded.
Yours is slightly different from current, according to the new spec sheet. I don't believe the trailer changed, only the spec sheet. Either way, I was not looking for an exact number but only a RELATIVE ratio of rear cargo weight to tongue weight. This is the value, to me, of someone with either an exact or very similar trailer having already weighed it, sharing that data. From that data, I could extrapolate similarities.

I've been hoping someone would say that because every calculation I could do, tell me that the real ratio is closer to 3.5:1. I am sure it has to do with the center of balance being spread over a few feet plus the mechanical affect from springs and mounting hardware. Also, I agree exactly that, for estimating, placing the load 4' from the front garage wall is correct.

Thanks for the spread sheets. I had been thinking of building one but was concerned the effect of springs and two axles and not sure how to represent those. It's not as simple as counting distance from the center of the two axles. I'd love to have your "guess-tomater" so, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail. Nice work.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #22

well let's see i get several different cargo caps from the dealers and forest river , one was 4017 the other 3014 or there about and one of 2700 . so forest river says they mis printed the specs [that's what they told me]and then give you new axles rated much higher . whats to say mine won't hit the axles under full load ? i'm filling it full of 2700lbs feathers so I may just have the same issues as you have ! who's your contact at Forest river ? maybe they can do mine before i pick it up . after all seems they acknowledged a problem by doing your's.

And why would some and not all hit the axles on full load ? problem with springs and axles
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #23

The current documents on their web site are correct and consistent with every model I have looked at from the 27 to the 30 actual weight stickers from Hammond Louisiana to Defuniak Springs Florida.

I have looked at many, many other brands and concluded that XLR Hyperlite are using industry standards for axle rating and choice. If you load the unit to maximum gross weight as indcated on the weight sticker, you will not overload the axles.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
well let's see i get several different cargo caps from the dealers and forest river , one was 4017 the other 3014 or there about and one of 2700 . so forest river says they mis printed the specs [that's what they told me]and then give you new axles rated much higher . whats to say mine won't hit the axles under full load ? i'm filling it full of 2700lbs feathers so I may just have the same issues as you have ! who's your contact at Forest river ? maybe they can do mine before i pick it up . after all seems they acknowledged a problem by doing your's.

And why would some and not all hit the axles on full load ? problem with springs and axles
Brochures are NOT MISPRINTED. Wonder who said that?

There are simply old, new and newer ones out there. Changes occur all the time to all lines and models. Brochures change because the units change. I have seen a unit that was changed before a brochure refliected it. At any rate, I recommend that you look at the newest one and stop looking at old brochures.

I don't know for sure why some hit and some didn't. But, I think it has to do with the mounting of shackles and blocking that essentially raises the trailer, increasing clearance. Maybe frames to accomadate 5200# axles were used (equipped with 4400# axles) instead of frames configured correctly for 4400# axles, I dunno. I suppose careful investigation of a unit with the issue and one current produced would tell you why.

Diane Daly is or was, the warranty rep for the XLR line. I don't have a special FR contact, per se. I would think your "contact" should be your dealer; before and after taking delivery.

I don't think someone should expect FR to change the axles on a currently produced 29HFS, nor would I expect trouble. I do know, they will take care of it, if that happens.

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own"

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #25

Wolfwhistle .
It was a forest river dealer rep that said there was a mis print in specs sent to dealers . I have only looked at 2015 models , worried , I'm not worried just honest concern ! after all i have been told a few things by the dealer that were incorrect . No problem I research and dig and get correct info .
so a change must have happened some where along the line for the 2015 model yr .
Just like anybody we want to know all the details we can when spending $25000.
I have no complaints with forest river or even the dealer . even though they don't seem to know anything about what they are selling . They the dealer has been very accommodating and i know very few sales men that really know what their selling . just that their selling .

I'm here to gain all the info and what fores about this unit as i can . I'm this way with all my equipment purchases . trying to be well informed

the dealer and the forest river rep says the grey water tanks is one big 57 gallon tank . you have found out differently . just one example . for me I need more fresh water storage . but was not going to pay 10,000 more just for that . Forest river and couches rv nation had the best bang for the buck . so now I am a owner of a 2015 xlr 29 hsf and can't wait to go get it
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #26

Good luck, friend. Enjoy your new trailer and be blessed.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote