Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

29UDQL

Any owners of a 29UDQL here?

Our search for a 36ish foot TH has lead us to the Nitro.

I'm wondering about real world weights. Hoping somebody has weighed their rig and has some info they'd like to share.

- Rick
North River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

I have a 29 UDQL5. I have weighed it twice on a CAT scale. The first weight of 13760 is camp ready weight with the Onan generator on board, about 5 gal. of water in the black tank, and no water in the fresh holding tank. The second weight of 14760 was the same load plus two HD touring motorcycles in the garage.

I went from a Hyperlite 27HFS to this and chose this because I didn't want anything much over 35 feet. When I bought it I was thinking it would end up around 12,000 lbs. You can tell this trailer is behind you so make sure your tow vehicle can handle it! Love the layout and the build quality!
phildrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. The weights are about what I figured they'd be.

My truck is a '11 Chevy 2500HD. If you subscribe to manufacturers GVWR being the determining factor as to what you can haul/tow the 29UDQL5 is too much trailer.

If you base it as I do on tire and axle ratings, I'm in the clear all the way around.

That being said,as much as we like the 29,I think we'll keep shopping.
North River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildrz View Post
I have a 29 UDQL5. I have weighed it twice on a CAT scale. The first weight of 13760 is camp ready weight with the Onan generator on board, about 5 gal. of water in the black tank, and no water in the fresh holding tank. The second weight of 14760 was the same load plus two HD touring motorcycles in the garage.

I went from a Hyperlite 27HFS to this and chose this because I didn't want anything much over 35 feet. When I bought it I was thinking it would end up around 12,000 lbs. You can tell this trailer is behind you so make sure your tow vehicle can handle it! Love the layout and the build quality!
Not trying to steal the thread, but ive been pulling a hyperlite 29hfs with a ram 2500 diesel and have also been looking at the 29 Udql5. What kind of truck are you pulling with?
mx411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:

I'm curious about this. Two dressers should weigh more than 1K. Probably 1,600 or so. Would the rest of the weight go onto the pin weight? I looking to haul 2 dresser myself and am in the market for a toy hauler & just trying to understand.

Thanks!
Murf

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #6

I am towing with a 07 Chevy 3500 DRW with a Duramax. Murf2 you are right about the weight of 2 dressers weighing 1600 +/- lbs. I will have to go look at my weigh tickets again to be sure what the numbers are. I do know that with just normal camping gear (food, drinks, grill, propane,linens, etc.) the trailer is around 13,500 lbs. I do know that with the bikes loaded it reduced the pin weight by 500-600 lbs.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply! Post up those numbers, when you find them if it'2 not too much trouble.

Murf

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
I am towing with a 07 Chevy 3500 DRW with a Duramax. Murf2 you are right about the weight of 2 dressers weighing 1600 +/- lbs. I will have to go look at my weigh tickets again to be sure what the numbers are. I do know that with just normal camping gear (food, drinks, grill, propane,linens, etc.) the trailer is around 13,500 lbs. I do know that with the bikes loaded it reduced the pin weight by 500-600 lbs.
thanks, do you know the actual pin weights with and without the load in the back. Sounds a bit much for my truck but its nice to see some real numbers on it.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

Looking at my weight tickets the drive axle is 6380lbs. w/o bikes and 5900lbs. with bikes. So based on that I estimate the pin weight to be around 3200 lbs. w/o bikes, and 2400 lbs. w/ bikes in the back. This setup includes a crew cab 4wd dually diesel (8000 lbs.) pulling the trailer with the on board Onan generator, which sits in the front of the trailer thus adding to pin weight.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

thanks for the numbers. definitely heavier on the pin than i thought!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #11

As you know, the dressers plus the amount of the reduced pin wt. will add to the axle(s) wt., which should increase it by about 2200# if all other things being equal.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

I just purchased one a week or two ago and pulled it 1,900 miles with my 08' 2500HD Duramax without any problems; if you are worried about the pin weight through a set of air bags in the rear of your truck, i have a set of air lift back there and all is well
Remaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

Is your truck a single wheel or DRW?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

single wheel not a dually; i also had no problem puling my heartland torque 291 for 4 years
Old 04-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #15

How do you like the Nitro so far? What made you go with a Forest River Nitro as opposed to another brand like you owned previously?
Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
How do you like the Nitro so far? What made you go with a Forest River Nitro as opposed to another brand like you owned previously?
honestly I am loving it so far and the difference in quality is remarkably better than the heartland; i immediately felt the difference the moment I opened the door. I went with the 29udql5 due to the open layout, the versatility, the vast amounts of windows for natural light, the little extras they put in like blue LED mood lighting, solar on the side, rear deck with automatic awning to go over it, the 4 fold out chairs from the couch (super comfy) and really there is just a lot of nice touches added for the price. Feel free to ask any other questions if I didnt address the ones on your mind.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #17

Your response is exactly what I thought when looking at the 29UDQL5. I wanted to hear what another owner had to say, especially someone that previously owned a different brand. I previously owned a XLR Hyper Lite (loved it but needed more room) before trading for the Nitro. Looked at several other brand toy haulers but always went back to the XLR. Like you, I felt an immediate difference in quality and craftsmanship. The XLR's might be shy a small feature here or there compared to others, but I will trade that for build quality and craftsmanship any day. Post a pic if you come across one of your rig!