Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

3 Way (on white, on blue, off) LED lighting

In our XLR 380 Amp we have 3 way switch in our main bathroom.
1. On LED White
2. Offf
3. On LED Blue.
Its actually a pretty neat feature and looks to be the same size as any other light fixture in the unit. Anyone know if/where they are available to purchase to change out some of the other fixtures.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Yes it is a very cool feature. I wish the main cabin offered the same lighting.
In trying to mute the abundant Brite main cabin lighting we popped off the lenses and inserted a pale blue film to soften the atmosphere. ...
I wonder how the blue led fixtures are wired..... A wiring diagram would be handy.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

The feature you are talking about is a dual color LED. The lamps are available from numerous web sites. You need to pull the lens and see what style lamp is installed. As far as using the lamps in other places, the fixture will need two hot wires, one for each color, or one hot wire that powers the lamp with on both hot legs, in other words a switch that has a hot center pin, and switchable hot pins. Normally called a single pole, double throw (SPDT). The fixture is the issue, not the lamps.
sdfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

its not a hard retrofit, if its like mine are...

its a common sized multi-LED base and cover. The difference being that the blue/white ones have one set of blue LED bulbs powered only on one side of the switch, while the white LEDs are powered from the other side of the switch.

depending how crazy you want to get, your going to have to run new wire if you want to be able to switch between blue/white. Alternatively you could always just wire it up as either blue or white (keep in mind youll be reducing the light output compared to the original all white LED units) or you could even wire it up to have the blue AND white LEDs on at the same time with no extra wiring or BS involved
Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

Put a switch in the fixture that powers the white in one position and the blue in the other then on and off at the wall switch.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

that would be alot of switches and holes to make in the roof! :O

and if it were anything other than the main bedroom lights, i know i would need a broomstick to get to the switch at the roof haha

Tags
led, light