Originally Posted by davel1971
sure does. If it works everywhere he plugs in except "right there", then that narrows it down to "right there.
True; all things being equal. (which they never are)
If the campground's voltage is low, switching to the 50 amp socket may be enough to cover for the line loss getting to the camper's main.
The way AC breaker's are designed, they use heat generated by the passage of current to open the contacts. When the overload is small, it takes time to generate enough heat to open (that is why spikes don't trip breakers).
The amount of time varies by the actual components in the breaker (tolerance). Just because the pedestal tripped first does not definitely mean there is no overload and the pedestal was weak; it could just mean that the tolerance to overload of the pedestal was less than the tolerance of the camper's main.
Switching to the 50 amp socket in this case could result in a small (but acceptable to the camper's breaker) overload in the power cord. The cord or plugs may very well be hot to the touch yet "everything is OK" on the 50 amp supply.
Additional resistance at the pigtail could also be the "weak link" when drawing power from the 50 amp socket.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW