Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
I've. Been eating a lot of popcorn lol

The safest way is to put the capacitors inline w your AC unit

Your trailer wiring is not rated for 50amps - yes - it will handle it - but say something goes bad - now you got a breaker that won't blow till it has plus 50amps on 30amp wiring - this is called a fire - and total meltdown of all the copper in your electrical system - every time your draw more amps than what your wire is rated for - you are fatiguing the wire and if they used aluminum wire to save cost and is probably the wrong size (aluminum needs to be double the size of copper) needed instead of copper - the wire will fatigue extremely faster --- I work with 100 to 200 amp circuits everyday bumped up to 150KV

Bring the start up amps down w capacitor kits - AC, Fridge fan ect --They are cheap and a much safer alternative than using adaptor to plug into 50amps

Be Safe - trailer go up in minutes when it comes to a fire

My 2 cents

Get out and Play Harder��

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015��
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Got a second bag in the microwave... love the Kettle Corn!

My EMS (Progressive) was shutting down somewhere around 103 vdc (don't know the exact spec), and the 30A in the pedestal was tripping as well... 4 or 5 times, while I was trying to watch TV; this with everything on electric. The temp when I set up in the CG was 105 and every MH and trailer there had ACs running, nonstop.

Going to the 50A adapter stopped the pedestal from tripping (of course), however this doesn't leave me vulnerable, because the 30A EMS was still in front of the trailer cord.

Similar to TURBS my line voltage then stayed above the voltage that would cause the EMS to switch the power off (technically it isn't tripping) and the pedestal breaker didn't trip again... not for the rest of the month. I looked at the voltage several times and it was never below 110 vac, but don't have any way to capture lows and highs. And, it let me keep everything on electric and stop burning my LPG.

I don't mean to stir the pot (yes, I do) but if breakers trip at the printed value, you would be resetting breakers every day, even at home. What it takes to trip depends on the current and the duration, like Herk shared. It will allow higher current than you might believe for a very short duration, but much less for a long duration.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Pass the salt, please.
WW

Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Using your air conditioner at low voltage (but above the EMS cut off) will cause damage over time due to the additional heat generated by the additional amps used by the motors.

It will also cause frequent air conditioner cut off due to the opening on the thermal breaker in the compressor. This cut out may save you from a fire, but it will eventually break down the varnish that insulates the winding wires causing motor failure.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #43

It was over a hundred all week or longer. Other than get a motel room, die or run the AC the AC lost the toss.
WW
Old 09-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I added an additional a/c to my 30 amp camper.

Haven't "needed" it for 4 years untill Nashville.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
Old 09-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #45

This is all great information. Thanks for everyone's contribution. My choice of the word cleaner meant to cover the plug is less used, therfore makes a better connection.
I want to print as ll the good references mentioned.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #46
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

See Turbs you could have saved your self money if you stay up north.
Now I guess it's a good excuse to buy new camper and up grade ac. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #47
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
This is all great information. Thanks for everyone's contribution. My choice of the word cleaner meant to cover the plug is less used, therfore makes a better connection.
I want to print as ll the good references mentioned.
Thanks
My confusion came from your use of "cleaner power" since that term has a specific meaning when talking about electricity. It applies to the "purity" of the signal and is most easily demonstrated when folks talk about the difference between "modified sine" and "pure sine" 120 volt AC power.

You can see from the image that the "pure" sine wave 120 volt AC power is "cleaner" than the "modified" or "square wave" power of cheaper inverters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified_Sine_Wave_vs_Pure_Sine_Wave-454x300.png
Views:	69
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	90151  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
But the socket may well be cleaner and tighter because fewer people have 50A requirements and thus the 50A socket on the pole probably sees fewer insertions per year than the 30A.

That's pretty much what progressive industries told me as I have stated here recently. Then he went on to say to check both if you only needed 30 amp service. Choose the best voltage to suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #49

Thankfully popcorn is a healthy food -lol
Old 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #50

I'm just throwing some sarcasm in this disaster....

If there were two 30A plugs.. One was a loose connection and the other a solid connection. Would the result on the inside of the camper not be a "cleaner" uninterrupted AC current? How can you only talk about clean power upstream of the female receptacle? Wouldn't a loose connection disrupt your perfect sign wave?

I am going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express tomorrow night... So you know I'm right.

And PH was lookin' kinda skinny... Figured I'd keep his popcorn eatin' contest rolling....

Tags
service