Old 10-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #1

30HFS-5 Dish installation issues

So we purchased a Winnegard X2 antenna and a Dish Network receiver at Hershey. So I figured, "I'll just plug the cable going to the antenna into the cable inlet on the side of the camper, and plug the receiver into the cable jack behind the TV. How hard can it be?"

So I did that. And no signal getting to the receiver from the antenna. Then I re-read the Dish instructions. Apparently, you cannot use the "cable" input in an RV for this install because "something" blocks the Dish signal from getting to the receiver. Maybe the circuitry in the power booster, maybe gremlins, who knows.

Now, there is also a "sat/aux" jack behind the TV. The question is, where is the other end of that? Is there a sat/aux input somewhere? I looked all around the camper, looked up on the roof, nada. So at this point, I'm ready to run the cable in the window from the antenna to make sure the whole thing works. Which I did, and it does.

So now it's time to email the factory guys. First thing I was told was the the "sat/aux" jack also gets its signal from the cable input plug. Which doesn't make sense to me, but ok, I'll try it. Same thing, no signal getting to the receiver. I relay this info to the factory guy (who is really trying his best to help me, btw.) So he checks with his cable/sat guys again, and they tell him, "oh no, that unit doesn't come from the factory satellite ready, only cable ready." So my guy is a little sheepish that his info wasn't right at first, but he's going to send me the parts to install a dedicated sat jack.

FR may not have set the 30 HFS-5 up to be sat ready from the factory, but they have some good guys working in the XLR division. Which is good, because I was starting to think I was going nuts here.

Anyone else have this happen, where you can't plug your dish antenna unto your cable input? Who knew?

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You might consider this in the meantime for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001WA...&robot_redir=1

Turbs

Old 10-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #3

That's pretty spiffy--thanks Turbs! I'll run that one by the Amazon Prime Queen...
Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #4

Interesting as i have contemplated satellite for mine. Did the parts you received have a part number?

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
XLR Production

The cable inlet on the side of the unit goes through a splitter which then goes to the 4 different locations in your unit. Going through the splitters is shat stops your satellite signal.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_guy View Post
Interesting as i have contemplated satellite for mine. Did the parts you received have a part number?
I did not note the specific part numbers before I had everything installed, but what I was sent was a length of coax and the circular coax input trim piece that you'd mount on the outside of the unit (like right next to the one that's already there for the cable inlet.) The XLR guy that helped me out was Mike Chamberlain. PM me and I'll give you his email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
The cable inlet on the side of the unit goes through a splitter which then goes to the 4 different locations in your unit. Going through the splitters is shat stops your satellite signal.
That's exactly what I was told--that the satellite signal gets lost/confused/degraded when it's sent through the cable splitter's circuitry. Hence the need for a separate "sat/aux" jack that is just a run of coax to the outside. The current "sat/aux" jack is useless-- it's just a split off the cable, and has the same circuitry issue.