Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

50 Degrees = Project Day

Normally this time of year, the wife and I are in snowmobile mode. Not so much this year with el nino wreaking havoc on northeast snow lovers. So, I decided to pick at a few of the easier spring projects that were cluttering my work bench.

First I went up on the roof and installed the Winegard Wingman add on to my Sensar antenna. It's supposed to be the best bang for your buck upgrade in digital over the air signal. It installs with plastic push rivets in about 1 minute. No tools required. Before and after pics.

Next, I upgraded my Winegard antenna booster wall plate to one with a digital signal strength readout to help in aiming the antenna when you get to the RV park. Since the original one was next to my garage TV with a front output jack for that TV, it wasn't exactly plug and play. The updated booster has no front jack (all outputs in the rear) so I had to add a coax jack for the LR TV right below the booster. The upgraded booster also allows you to adjust signal strength. (Along with lots of other features I haven't bothered to read about yet...) More before and after pics.

Next, my trailer came with the Lippert Linc remote control. I always stored it in a drawer but found that they now make a wall mount for it. I was able to order the mount directly from Lippert who was nice enough to only charge me $1 for the part... and even nicer to charge me $17 for shipping this half ounce piece of plastic via UPS ground. Thanks LCI... Anyways, I mounted it between the main door and the kitchen slide so I could reach in from the steps and grab it easily when needed.

Lastly, because I don't like leaving my 50 foot 50 amp cord out all winter, I decided to install a new 20 amp outlet near my existing 50 amp outlet and tie it into the load panel that feeds my shed and the 50 amp outlet. I had a spot open so I installed a dedicated 20 amp breaker and installed my old work vinyl siding box for the outlet. Then I installed a nice metal in use cover over the outlet. To connect to the RV I bought a true 20 amp extension cord (99% of them are 15 amp) and sealed it to the 50 am/20 amp adapter with a water tight cover. I also put a rubber strip over the cord so I wouldn't trip over it on the occasional winter trip to the RV.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Nice weather to get stuff done in! I just sold my sleds, 3rd year in a row with no snow here. My camper is at the dealer, or I might be working on it too. It's 40 in Minnesota today.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

I think we are heading to Quebec for the first time in a couple of weeks. No snow worth a darn in Maine. The exchange rate should be rather helpful...
Old 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

Yeah, that'll help keep the cost down. You can go up near the Canadian border around here and find some snow, but it's crowded...
Old 01-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

Nice upgrades Rodney. I hope to get some of mine completed by tomorrow afternoon. Finishing up on the Barker Auto Drain valves today and then complete the Wingman antenna stuff tomorrow. The Barkers are taking a little longer than I thought because of having to add wire between the switch and plug. They only come with a short wiring harness and you have to extend four wires on each valve. The longest wiring run on my 375 will be the black/grey combo tank for the second bath in the garage. I'm installing two 3" black water tank valves and two 1.5" grey water tank valves. Will try to post a few pictures of the Barker install tonight.

2016 XLR 375 AMP Thunderbolt
2014 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW (Fully Deleted)
Old 01-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Go get em' Stan. I'm looking forward to doing my electric valves as well. Then on to the HD shackles, Cell Booster, water pump expansion tank, central vac, and landing gear snap pads. I need more than just one day to tear that deep into mine though.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
XLR Production

Will it ever end Rodney?
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

Nice job Rodney. We were in the 50's here today too, but I wasn't as ambitious as you about getting mods done. Lol. Just couldn't find the motivation today. I know this no snow winter sucks for your sledding fun, but I'm really liking it so far.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Will it ever end Rodney?

I'll be done tweaking it when someone else's truck is pulling it down my driveway someday... Seriously though, modding and projects are almost as fun as camping. Besides the above mentioned projects waiting on the workbench, I'm still trying to talk myself out of the Winegard Trav'ler sat dish. Stan is going to do it soon and that might put a fire under me. Heck, I don't even watch much TV. I just like bolting stuff to my XLR and running wires to connect it all.... LOL.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilicia View Post
Nice job Rodney. We were in the 50's here today too, but I wasn't as ambitious as you about getting mods done. Lol. Just couldn't find the motivation today. I know this no snow winter sucks for your sledding fun, but I'm really liking it so far.

I hear you Tony. It's been great at home. Very little snow to plow or shovel. Warm temps and cheap fuel making for low heating costs. It's like all my mods are free from my savings! However, Quebec will provide some smiles for the wife and I on the high speed front. She rides her 160+ HP Apex like her hair is on fire. I'll try to keep up...