Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

5th wheel black water valve leaking

2016 xlr nitro 39dkS5, 1st trip out this weekend, went to dump and was greeted with a couple gallons of black water. we've never had a fifth wheel before so I thought maybe I hit the valve or the wife did or one of the kids. I decided it must've been a fluke,

pulled it home, after cleaning it decided to check And pull off the cap, once again greeted with more water, I thought I had drained everything out, kind of glad I didn't because now I found there's a problem. I hooked up the hose to the black water flush, and as I expected the valve either is leaking or not closing all the way does anybody know is the linkage to that valve is adjustable. Everything is hidden I don't know if I can get access from underneath I really don't want to remove the skin underneath. or if I can access it from the underside storage area.

I know it would be covered under warranty but Memorial weekends on our doorstep almost and the dealer is two hours away. If it's something I can just fix in an hour I'll just do it. Save me fuel and time. I hope somebody has an answer thanks.
Gbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

Valtera has a twist on valve that you can get it goes on where the termination cap is its what I had to do when my black tank valve wasn't closing all the way
My guess is the cable for your black valve is kinked or not adjusted right
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

I was wondering if someone made a valve I could just connect on until I can find a better time to bring it back to the dealer.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #4

I would just put that on till you have a good size list for the dealer to work on then run it in at the end of the season
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

My original black tank dump valve had PVC cement hindering it (sloppy application) as well as the seal was not perfectly seated. These blade valves slide in between the seals so installation is critical. I would take it apart and fix it... The twist on is a good temp option

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I had a leaky black water tank valve last year. It turned out to be toilet tissue jammed into to the recessed area where the valve slides in. I seldom use the toilet for #2 and since you have kids, I would encourage them to use toilet paper sparingly or if convenient use the toilet at the park, especially for that #2 stuff.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Same issue on my 2016 Wildcat. Added it to the Warranty repair list. Dealer couldn't replicate so now I'm waiting to see if it's clear on my next outing. In the meantime, I bought that Valtera extended valve...just in case ;-)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Forgot to mention that I bought one of the Valtera extended valve too.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbart View Post
2016 xlr nitro 39dkS5, 1st trip out this weekend, went to dump and was greeted with a couple gallons of black water. we've never had a fifth wheel before so I thought maybe I hit the valve or the wife did or one of the kids. I decided it must've been a fluke,

pulled it home, after cleaning it decided to check And pull off the cap, once again greeted with more water, I thought I had drained everything out, kind of glad I didn't because now I found there's a problem. I hooked up the hose to the black water flush, and as I expected the valve either is leaking or not closing all the way does anybody know is the linkage to that valve is adjustable. Everything is hidden I don't know if I can get access from underneath I really don't want to remove the skin underneath. or if I can access it from the underside storage area.

I know it would be covered under warranty but Memorial weekends on our doorstep almost and the dealer is two hours away. If it's something I can just fix in an hour I'll just do it. Save me fuel and time. I hope somebody has an answer thanks.
I had the same problem on my 2016 Silverback. Valve handle closed, valve open. I checked with fresh water when I brought it home and did a top to bottom front to back inspection. I returned to the dealer and they said the cable was kinked and replaced it.
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
Valtera has a twist on valve that you can get it goes on where the termination cap is its what I had to do when my black tank valve wasn't closing all the way
My guess is the cable for your black valve is kinked or not adjusted right
Ditto the above. I had the same problem.
ddokupil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

Had the same problem on our XLR 395 except it was grey water. I cut the main drain line and installed a valve after the last inlet and the end cap. That way it will always be there and doesn't stick down any more.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

We have a 2011 Sierra. That has the same issue not long after we got it,I took the cap off the waste tube and brown smelly water came out. Took it to the dealer we bought it from they said these valves that are use do mess up. they put another valve just before the end cap. And it does work sort of provided yo put the hose on before ANY valve. I wish I would have made them fix the valve at the tank. Because the valve lets most if not all the water put in when you do your water fill for the trine. So there's a good chance there's no trine ih the tank when tou start using it and paper goes down the toilet. If I where you I would require them to fix it right end of story. you could put the other valve on as a possible safety net.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
TGR

My Wildcat bathroom gray water tank valve leaked a few cups of water just about every time I used it. The extended valve shutoff didn't quite close all the way but my dealer said it was working properly when they were asked to fix it.

This winter, I spent a while in Florida with the gray tank valves open for several weeks. One day, while emptying the black tank, I found a 16" long by 1-2" wide piece of black plastic in the dump hose. I tried the remote gray valve handle and it closed all the way. My gray tank didn't leak during the trip home so I think I found the source of my problem.

I'd try flushing the tank with the black water flush line and see if I could float any obstruction out of the valve. I may have been lucky but I think it is worth a try.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #14

Debris in both the black and gray tanks is not uncommon, so if you can when it is empty fill it 1/2-3/4 full hook the hose up as straight as you can and let fly.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #15

Gbart You have a 2016 5th wheel toy hauler I'm sure you paid a good price for it. Get it fixed right, you shouldn't be crawling or spending your time or effort to try to solve the problem. I said I had the same issue 2011, Here we go into 2015 and the same problem is still there. I have flushed my black water tank so many time I can't count them all. I know there's nothing blocking or stuck in the valve. I dropped a trine bottle down the toilet and I was able to flush it out after 2 or 3 times. If you don't get it fixed right. If you bought a new truck with a leek. and someone said that they all do that what would you do. Me if somethings not right on my 2014 Ram that I paid 62K for it's going to the dealer and fixed right or there would be hell to pay. But Its your trailer so do what makes you feel right.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:57 PM   #16

I called the dealer today and the head tech told me the black water valves on a fifth wheel run off a cable system and they are much more prone to glitches than the direct valves. He told me don't worry about fixing it, he would do it, said get a list going and when I know I was not going to be using it for a bit drop it off and they would fix it all. In the mean time pick up a valve that mounts on the end, even after its fixed he said keep using the extra valve so if there's a problem on the future you don't get sprayed with you know what.

As long as they fix it I am all good. I feel a little better knowing the dealer has no problem fixing it he just asked if it could be after memorial because how overwhelmed they are, i know they have to fix it because it's under warranty, but the dealer was very nice and genuinely sounded like they wanted to take care of me, it was then I was glad I didn't use the dealers who sell off price and are states away, I know I paid more but the comfort of knowing the dealer wants to help me is worth it.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #17

Hi Gbart
You will be glad you did it this way.That's what my dealer told me and it's most likely the case. But it may still be there later. I think they went for a change to save space and all that, the design is the problem. If we all think I will just try to solve the problem myself and say nothing it won't get fixed. I think it's crazy to tell someone that just spent 20 to 60 thousand dollars on something we can't fix. So if I were you I would get a valve that goes on the end so you won't have sh##y water all over you just isn't right. Good luck and enjoy your new 5th Wheel you will love what it lets you do.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

This is a must for those emergencies.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS/...I2V6021HNSVE2D
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #19

CC 29RE.....My black water lever is very stiff to open and close and has anyone removed bottom panels to investigate? Is it a big job? My unit is out of warranty...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
CC 29RE.....My black water lever is very stiff to open and close and has anyone removed bottom panels to investigate? Is it a big job? My unit is out of warranty...J
I have a Flagstaff 5er and I just slit the underbelly in an H and put a pc of alum up inside and sheet metal screwed the slits back together. Found out mine had a long alum rod instead of a cable.

Tags
5th wheel, black, black water, leak, water, wheel