Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #21

Federal law requires taillights, turn signals, brake lights, side marker lights and reflectors on the side and rear of all trailers. Recreational vehicle sizes are unregulated by the federal government. Each state establishes its own regulations regarding travel trailers and fifth-wheel campers on its roadways. Driving in a carpool lane and triple towing are typically prohibited. It's important to review the laws of each state through which you'll be traveling.

Read more: Travel Trailer Regulations for the US | eHow Travel Trailer Regulations for the US | eHow
Regulations

• Generally, the maximum combined length of two vehicles is 65 feet with a maximum single trailer length of 40 feet. In Washington, D.C. and Maryland, the maximum combined length of the vehicles is less than 55 feet while in Colorado, Iowa and Louisiana, it's 70 feet.
    Most states permit a trailer up to 8.5 feet wide and 13.5 feet high. Some roads in Illinois, Louisiana, New Hampshire, New Jersey and New York permit widths of only 8 feet. Colorado limits heights to 13 feet.
    Maryland, Massachusetts and New York prohibit propane tanks in tunnels. In New York, it's also forbidden on the lower levels of the George Washington and Verrazano-Narrows bridges and I-95 through Manhattan. Close propane tank valves while traveling in Virginia and New Jersey.
    California, Washington, Ohio and Colorado require the use of chains and/or snow tires during winter months.
    South Dakota requires Weigh Station stops for all towed vehicles, motor trucks or trailers weighing more than 8,000 pounds.

Read more: Travel Trailer Regulations for the US | eHow Travel Trailer Regulations for the US | eHow These are the regulation I found.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Oh, FYI - In the Bay Bridge Tunnel they only asked if my tanks were off and did not seem to care that they were 2 - 30 pound tanks.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Oh, FYI - In the Bay Bridge Tunnel they only asked if my tanks were off and did not seem to care that they were 2 - 30 pound tanks.
Looks like anyone with 30# cylinders going thru Virginia are in trouble. Wonder how the MH's get by?

Lou, are you a scofflaw?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks like anyone with 30# cylinders going thru Virginia are in trouble. Wonder how the MH's get by?

Lou, are you a scofflaw?
I used to be law abiding. Now I found out I am a criminal.

Time to rob a bank; heck, in for a nickle...
Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I used to be law abiding. Now I found out I am a criminal.

Time to rob a bank; heck, in for a nickle...
And to think I shared a picnic table in Plant City with Ms. Laura, Frankie and a criminal. I guess we are all to be considered accomplices for associating with you. tsk, tsk, tsk. The shame of it all.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
This is new to me.

When traveling down the road and wanting to keep the refrigerator cold using LP, do I have to have the 12 volt electric disconnect ON in the trailer to get the ignitor to fire the propane for the fridge or does the tow vehicle being hooked up to it fire the ignitor for the LP on the fridge and the disconnect can be left off.
if ur referring to the disconnect near the 12 volt fuze panel, that disconnects the fuse panel from the battery and whatever charges the battery (ie tow vehicle). the only things that stay live are motors used to deploy slides, landing gear, and possibly the (propane?) detector inside the trailer. ( that may be an ammonia detector not sure).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And if you have a blowout you could go in a ditch.

If it was a problem, with the thousands and thousands towing with the propane on, the highways would be littered with blown up rv's and it would be all over the national news.
X2 in an accident serious enough to compromise the propane lines and pipe. It would already be totaled and nobody is in there. Biggest hazard is gasoline in your car.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Live in NJ, never heard of no propane in use. I've been towing and driving propane tanks for 20 years without restriction. Tunnel you gotta pull off and close the tanks?
Heres an update: NJ does have a rule of propane bottles DOT must be closed in transit. This does not speak to ANSI approved tanks with fixed installation and more features. This should answer Herks question about propane vehicles.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
Always Learning

caper, I'm on my phone and didn't follow the link for the eHow article. Does it actually link to the state-specific regulations?

The reason I ask. At 58 1/2' bumper to bumper, I'm over MD's purported maximum. I contacted the state highway administration about this and was instructed that I'm legal and don't need special permits. But, I'm supposed to stick to highway routes and am supposed to take the most direct route from the highway to the destination. Both are when practical, of course.

That said- I'd still love to see the specific VA or NJ statue (on the state's government site) that forbids propane tanks from being open/on with vehicles in transit on all roadways.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #30

Some, and maybe all, ferrys require you to turn your LP tanks off. We've only been on one with our motorhome, at Galveston Island, TX, and they told us to turn it off.

I think, but am not sure, I was told by someone who was headed to the Alaska Marine Highway Inside Passage that they had to turn off the LP tanks, which can be a concern with the refrigerator during long transits.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Heres an update: NJ does have a rule of propane bottles DOT must be closed in transit. This does not speak to ANSI approved tanks with fixed installation and more features. This should answer Herks question about propane vehicles.
Thanks Vince. The pressurized fuel bottles are supposed to be "crushproof."
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
This is new to me.

When traveling down the road and wanting to keep the refrigerator cold using LP, do I have to have the 12 volt electric disconnect ON in the trailer to get the ignitor to fire the propane for the fridge or does the tow vehicle being hooked up to it fire the ignitor for the LP on the fridge and the disconnect can be left off.
If you have elec brakes you have to have the disconnect turn on so they will work plus you have to have the battery on to use gas elec ignitor
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
If you have elec brakes you have to have the disconnect turn on so they will work plus you have to have the battery on to use gas elec ignitor
Power for electric brakes comes from the tow vehicle. (Not sure about emergency-disconnect power. I would think that has to bypass the cutoff as well.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Power for electric brakes comes from the tow vehicle. (Not sure about emergency-disconnect power. I would think that has to bypass the cutoff as well.)
I was told when I went to get my trailer inspected before I had to have a battery with the old trailer without the disconnect .When I bought my new one I was told I had to have my disconnect put out when traveling.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
I was told when I went to get my trailer inspected before I had to have a battery with the old trailer without the disconnect .When I bought my new one I was told I had to have my disconnect put out when traveling.
I'm not familiar with your terminology "disconnect put out".

I see that I also used a poor choice of words with "emergency-disconnect". I meant emergency break-away switch (which turns on the brakes if the trailer breaks away from the tow-vehicle).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote