Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #1

AC Cycling off and on

I went camping the third time this season this past weekend and my AC on my 29HFS started cycling on and off it would start and I would here the compressor kick in and after 45 to 60 seconds then the compressors cuts off the fan runs maybe 10 seconds then shuts off the in about one to two minutes it does it again so I cut it off and started over it ran fine.
Any ideas (this is a 2015) had no trouble the first two trips or last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #2

May be the frost sensor. I don't know that these things have high and low pressure controls so I'm guessing it's the frost sensor
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #3

In my case, cold air blowing on the T-stat causes this.

You might want to try aiming the register nearer the thermostat side to side; away from the T-stat. I hang a small piece of paper over it, until I can come up with a better way... maybe one of those clear, so called tamper proof, covers would look more "professional".

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

You might just have a bad stat, next time set it lower and see if it is that. Stat might have gotten a false reading (temp) If it was a defrost sensor it wouldn't have came back on. Not all A/C's have a defrost sensor.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladden View Post
I went camping the third time this season this past weekend and my AC on my 29HFS started cycling on and off it would start and I would here the compressor kick in and after 45 to 60 seconds then the compressors cuts off the fan runs maybe 10 seconds then shuts off the in about one to two minutes it does it again so I cut it off and started over it ran fine.
Any ideas (this is a 2015) had no trouble the first two trips or last year.

Happened to me a few weeks ago on a 2300. The compressor shut off (fan still on), then struggled and started again within 5-10 seconds. It did this two times in short order. I re-started the A/C and it never did it again for the rest of the week. (Vents were turned away from the t-stat.) Hopefully, that's the end of it.
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Thermostat

Same as Wolfwhiste, register was pointed directly toward thermostat.
DAB2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #7

I have the same problem, seems to do it when really hot out. A few said it was normal. I will listen for it again when we go out again.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #8

I agree that no matter the cold air hitting the T-stat, there is also something about being very hot at start up. Mine did that one day when it was over 100 degrees inside (hotter outside). But, keeping the T-stat out of cold air flow stops it from occuring "normally".

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I agree that no matter the cold air hitting the T-stat, there is also something about being very hot at start up. Mine did that one day when it was over 100 degrees inside (hotter outside). But, keeping the T-stat out of cold air flow stops it from occuring "normally".
I don't doubt what you have said happened to you, but I just have never heard of that at all. The only thing that I know of that it could happen would be it got stuck in the start wind and kick off, which could mean your have a weak start/run capacitor. Then it reset and came on. This should not be happening at all. May I suggest to you guy's is that you put on a hard start kit to take it out of the start wind faster. Heat will also cause your wires at the pedestal to loosen up from heat if they are using that garbage alum. wire instead of copper. After all the years in the business that is the only thing that I know can do that. That is not normal what ever someone might have told you.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #10

I have never heard of "start wind"... do you mean "winding". I have heard of a hard start "kit"... in fact just ordered it. Kind or hard to imagine why FR wouldn't get those and install them on all units?? On my/our 29HFS XLR it is possible to blow cold air from one of the "twist" registers towards the T-stat and when I turned it away and especially with paper draped over it, it stopped cycling unnecessarily. It has done what I describe on my unit running two different AC units and at various CGs. I think the hot start issue is different, which I hope the "kit" will help. They say you can run the Dometic 13.5K unit on a 2000i Honda with it installed... we will see.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #11

Do you have a link to the hard start kit?

egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I have never heard of "start wind"... do you mean "winding". I have heard of a hard start "kit"... in fact just ordered it. Kind or hard to imagine why FR wouldn't get those and install them on all units?? On my/our 29HFS XLR it is possible to blow cold air from one of the "twist" registers towards the T-stat and when I turned it away and especially with paper draped over it, it stopped cycling unnecessarily. It has done what I describe on my unit running two different AC units and at various CGs. I think the hot start issue is different, which I hope the "kit" will help. They say you can run the Dometic 13.5K unit on a 2000i Honda with it installed... we will see.
Yes that is exactly what I meant. Your compressor has 3. Start , run and common. with the start pulling the most amps.