Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Ac in the hauler

Anyone add a A/c unit in the toy hauler.? 30hds to be specific...is it possible
yamaharuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Always Learning

It’s hard to say, but I know we had one added to our Spartan toy hauler. BUT- it was wired for it. No idea on your 30HDS.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

Is your 30HDS 50A or 30A?
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #4

I added one in my 29dk. As long as you have a 14" vent the AC will fit right in. I got one where I have to get on a step ladder to turn it on...didn't want to mess with running a remote thermostat. It has separate wiring from the rest of the camper. Put a 30amp outlet in the rear. I end up plugging up the main camper to the 50a and rear to 30a which most campsites seem to have from my experience. The benefit of this setup rather than the 3 AC you can get from the factory is I can run all three units at once so its not cutting power between the three to run off of the 50a.
mhadams5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

After traveling around the south during the summer it was becoming a burden on the bride during set up. The unit would take a long time to cool down. I added a 15,000 btu with heat strip unit to our 25WB Work and Play. Only a 30 amp trailer but I had 3 different vent openings to choose from. I installed a 15K unit with heat strip right next to the ducted unit. I ran a 25’ #10 gauge across to a microwave cabinet, then forward to the fridge then down and exit into a male extension cord plug. Upon arrival, Ma stays in the truck while I hook up the 30 amp powering the OEM unit and a #10 25’ cord into the pedestal 20 amp. After about 10 minutes, the temperature has dropped at least 10 degrees. This is the second 30 amp camper I have installed a 2nd a/c unit.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	186941
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #6

I don't have a toy hauler but: I do have a 31' TT that had one A/C unit from the factory. I live in SW GA. and the heat/humidity is brutal at times. I added the second A/C unit where the vent was over the front bed, ran 10 ga. wires through plastic "wire mold", used a heat gun to heat the plastic wire mold as the ceiling is rounded toward the front, then ran the wires through a cabinet, down the wardrobe then into the front storage area. I installed a 6x6 electrical box to make up the wires and added a 20 amp push button marine grade circuit breaker. The wires go through the sidewall of the TT to a weather resistant male connector. As "Retired SJO" stated I also use a dedicated 10 ga. heavy duty extension cord to run power to this A/C. I use the 50 amp service on the power pedestal with an adapter for my 30 amp TT and use the 30 amp service at the power pedestal with an adapter for my 20 amp A/C run. Never have had a problem and the TT stays so much cooler.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharuss View Post
Anyone add a A/c unit in the toy hauler.? 30hds to be specific...is it possible
my 29hfs had one added after factory built. it has an additional 30 amp connection on the outside. when I pull up to a campsite I can use the 30 for the main electrical, and use the 20 amp with conversion to 30 amp for the garage ac connection.
outkast951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

Ac in the hauler

If you have a closet or cabinet adjacent to the vent, you can run an additional lower through the cabinet to to a outside storage area or floor to get power. I didn’t put it up front because we didn’t want the noise in the bedroom. I also installed one in the bedroom of our 2004 Sandpiper way back.Click image for larger version

Name:	4C067911-64ED-4E57-913B-E7F871F3AE32-2731-000002B670FBBF8E.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	189717
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhadams5 View Post
I added one in my 29dk. As long as you have a 14" vent the AC will fit right in. I got one where I have to get on a step ladder to turn it on...didn't want to mess with running a remote thermostat. It has separate wiring from the rest of the camper. Put a 30amp outlet in the rear. I end up plugging up the main camper to the 50a and rear to 30a which most campsites seem to have from my experience. The benefit of this setup rather than the 3 AC you can get from the factory is I can run all three units at once so its not cutting power between the three to run off of the 50a.
Can I get more information on your unit? Would like to install one in my back garage sleeping area. There is a 14 in roof vent ,would mind one with heat strip to help when I have people back there. Any information will help
Rharrod3 is offline   Reply With Quote