Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #21

Roger that GDH. Everything that goes in will be weighed. Next trip it will have all my stuff and Tbird in the garage. I'm plugging into tool and actual scale will verify. It will be late April... Going to Leesburg area. Unless I do a trip first.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #22

I wish there were more CAT scales in the Northeast. There are none close to me and I am curious as to how much my unit and TV weights.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #23

actual 29HFS weight

Hmmm I Thought the reason to by the HyperLight was because its for light weight towing and 1/2ton towable --that's why I'm getting the HyperLight it's the only TH that's even in my TV weight class

I still don't think the # add up

Weigh your TV only - does it exceed the GVW with TH hooked up w WD hitch ?

Weigh your TH only - does it exceed TH GVW with TV hooked up w WD hitch?

Weigh each axle - only w TH hooked up and WD hitch installed ---- does the weight exceed any axle GVW of any axle?

This is more what to be concern about -more or less - if your under your axles GVW your pretty muck OK

10 days till pickup 😄😄😄

I'm not worried about the Weight - but time will tell - I've been wrong before lol

Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #24

These posts have been wonderful. I feel I will be ok with my 2004 3/4 ton GMC & WD but I'm looking forward to actually hitting the scales this spring when I get the TH in my possession. Nothing tells you the truth until you hit the scales...
stevejd235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #25

I'm pretty well convened on everything except tongue weight after I put 2k lbs in the garage.
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavidHughes View Post
I'm pretty well convened on everything except tongue weight after I put 2k lbs in the garage.
When you get your's, load 2000# in the garage and hit a certified scale and let us know how it does. Tongue weight will probably be around 400# based on the axles carrying equal weight.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
Hmmm I Thought the reason to by the HyperLight was because its for light weight towing and 1/2ton towable --that's why I'm getting the HyperLight it's the only TH that's even in my TV weight class

I still don't think the # add up

Weigh your TV only - does it exceed the GVW with TH hooked up w WD hitch ?

Weigh your TH only - does it exceed TH GVW with TV hooked up w WD hitch?

Weigh each axle - only w TH hooked up and WD hitch installed ---- does the weight exceed any axle GVW of any axle?

This is more what to be concern about -more or less - if your under your axles GVW your pretty muck OK
If it doesn't add up you have to tell me why not.

Only you can decide how much TH you are willing to drag with a half-ton, there are way too many variables. I would not pull my TH with a half-ton; not for love nor money.

I can also tell you that my best effort; based on weights alone, the 29HFS components are not overloaded even when GVWR is reached, if loaded and distributed properly.

Honestly I am a little confused by how you put it. It must be me, I am sure... but in your sentence to weigh "TV only" the next thought is "does it exceed GVW with TH hooked up with WDH?"

I think I know what you mean. This would be the information you would get by weighing all three axles: steer, drive and trailer at the same time, with WDH. I did this but without WDH and the combined was 14,540#.

This combined weight won't change with or without WDH. How much weight your WDH will need to move to get your TV level is something I cannot know.

If you match your requirement to the right WDH and adjust it properly, it can distribute enough of the tongue weight of the trailer to the TV front and to the trailer and based on what I see, won't exceed the capacity of trailer. I don't know about your truck.

Your half-ton hooked to my TH will have at least 1280# of tongue weight on your rear axle and lighten the front by at least 500#, can it handle that? But with WDH you will move 1000# of that, half to the TV front and the other half to the trailer, slightly more of less.

I am a fan of air bags and they will make the job of leveling much easier and made the ride smoother, and a combination of WDH and air bags worked well. My 2500 doesn't need it for the TH I have.

Until I load everything and hit the road and weigh again, I can't prove anything and what I provided might be worthless information.

My weighing goal was to get a bench mark, an unloaded weigh of truck and trailer; tongue weight, and individucal TH axle weight, which I got. And, could NOT get with WDH hooked up.

Will your truck pull a 9715# trailer? Plus with 2000# in the garage is the rest of the capacity of 724# going to do it for you? Many want to load 4000# of stuff, which isn't possible in this trailer.

Also, keep in mind with 2000# in the garage the tongue weight might only be 400# and the TW ratio below 5%, is that something you are willing to try?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #28

Lol - I was waiting for that 😜

Like I said I've been wrong before ---

Not all 1/2 ton are equal - the only thing that is 1/2 ton on a quadrasteer is the leaf springs -- which I have change out plus added 3/4 ton air bags, adjustable rancho shocks, E ply tires rims , 6 liter V8 gas have had this setup since I bought the truck new - hauled a 3000lb + camper on truck for almost 300k - plus have towed very big ski boats all my life not worried about TV --- very stable as the back wheels sit out wider than the front - love this truck if only they would produce them again - I'd be first inline for a new one.

Getting over complicated if you not over axle limits then everything is Ok that's all I was saying ( yes I understand u need a certain tong weight too)

No disrespect - just keeping post going 😃😃😃

Time

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #29

Will your truck pull a 9715# trailer? IF IT won't then you need A BIGGER truck

Plus with 2000# in the garage is the rest of the capacity of 724# going to do it for you?
#2700 is what you got . actually 3014 if you pull the electric queen bed .

Many want to load 4000# of stuff, which isn't possible in this trailer.

Agreed if so they are looking at the wrong TH .

Also, keep in mind with 2000# in the garage the tongue weight might only be 400# and the TW ratio below 5%,

That really depends on how you load the other 700

to be honest if this TH can't handle a fully loaded weight of 10,000 . then it is as i've said all along the trailer is not built for this purpose and should not be advertised as a TH . just because you put a garage in something does not make it so . I think forest river screwed the pouch on this one trying to accommodate 1/2 tonners . I know i will only have it a yr at most more then likely just 6 months get me through the summer then buy a real TH
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #30

I have the same rated tow hitch as any 3/4 to same 6liter V8 same transmission same frame and yes I have towed 10k before --- my dad just bought a new ford 1/2ton it's rated at 11500 and tows great too - tows 3000lb dual trailer w Kabota tractor on it all the time.

Just saying there is not much difference in some 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks these days now if We are talking 1 ton then that's a whole different story! Some 1tons are now rated to 30,000 lb on one axle now that's a beast

I only plan on loading a Can-Am Spyder in garage about 800 lb and some Kites don't think I'll be worried about over weight

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #31

play Harder . seems these weight topics always open a can of worms .lol

What's the weight diff between a 1/2 and 3/4 , not towing but actual weight of the units ? I would think my 2500hd weights more then your 1500 ? or f150 etc
Old 03-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #32

My truck w bed slide, fiberglass canopy full size Rack it - (outside and over cab heavy duty rack system) and me weight is 6200lb it is a HD 1/2 ton also - yes I've had this debate over 3/4 ton that's why I know what's the differences are over the exact 1/2 to and 3/4 ton quadrasteer....

It's all in fun .......

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #33

well maybe my 2500 doesn't weight more then your 1500 . I'll find out tomorrow when i go the the dump and get my empty weight with me in it . I also have the fiberglass topper about 250 to 300 lbs .
Old 03-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #34

Also I'm just a std cab with a long bed 4x4 . they weigh a bit less then the four doors
Old 03-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Lol - I was waiting for that ��

Like I said I've been wrong before ---

Not all 1/2 ton are equal - the only thing that is 1/2 ton on a quadrasteer is the leaf springs -- which I have change out plus added 3/4 ton air bags, adjustable rancho shocks, E ply tires rims , 6 liter V8 gas have had this setup since I bought the truck new - hauled a 3000lb + camper on truck for almost 300k - plus have towed very big ski boats all my life not worried about TV --- very stable as the back wheels sit out wider than the front - love this truck if only they would produce them again - I'd be first inline for a new one.

Getting over complicated if you not over axle limits then everything is Ok that's all I was saying ( yes I understand u need a certain tong weight too)

No disrespect - just keeping post going
No disrespect detected! I've been wrong more than you.. I bet... I'm older. No one can argue with its ability if it has done it and for that many miles. I don't think these trucks were rated for 3000# in the box, but if can do it, it ain't bragging. I was under the impression you were concerned for axle weight including your half-ton, see... my mistake... again.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #36

North Star that's how I got my weight - garbage run

And no it's not rated for 3000 in the box - I thought I was buying a light weight lance camper the sticker said 1980 dry weight but lance doesn't include any options in their weigh in ---- all in all I'll bet it was more like 4000lb in the box and yes I was over loaded a bit but now I'll be all good 😃 with a new light weight TH

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #37

Quote:
North Star that's how I got my weight - garbage run

And no it's not rated for 3000 in the box - I thought I was buying a light weight lance camper the sticker said 1980 dry weight but lance doesn't include any options in their weigh in ---- all in all I'll bet it was more like 4000lb in the box and yes I was over loaded a bit but now I'll be all good 😃 with a new light weight TH

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

just looked at the sticker on my truck for slide ins #3000 . i had /have selling a northstar pop up slide in weighed 1557 loaded about 2000 .

the manufactures are always trying to cover their asses so ratings i'm sure are reduced from actual amounts . if it weren't thay we we could carry nothing based on these ratings . I did break an axle in a 92 sonoma carrying a 1200 camper in it . but only once
Old 03-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Total weight of truck and trailer-14540. Subtract trailer axles - 6360. Subtract truck 6900. Tongue weight 1280.
I apologize but I found and inconsistency or error, depending on what scale section the individual axles were on.

If you do the math by adding the weight of truck both axles and subtract truck by itself you get one answer, but in the description above, gives you a different figure. A difference of 40#. Had to be an error in the 3 section scale.

Play Harder said the numbers didn't add up, well they don't. And, he was nice and didn't bust my chops for it. Thanks PH. I've looked at this so long, my eyes are crossed!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
just looked at the sticker on my truck for slide ins #3000 . i had /have selling a northstar pop up slide in weighed 1557 loaded about 2000 .

the manufactures are always trying to cover their asses so ratings i'm sure are reduced from actual amounts . if it weren't thay we we could carry nothing based on these ratings . I did break an axle in a 92 sonoma carrying a 1200 camper in it . but only once
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been told there is a big difference in HD halfs and 3/4 standard in axles strength and bearings as well as brakes. The brakes under my 2500 are huge and the pumpkin ginormous. My old half ton chevy had a towing rating of 9500# and only had drum brakes rear... can you say, no way Jose? And, with only 338# torque it could barely pulled a 4000# trailmanor over the Rockies. Soured me on Chevy gassers. I tried to blow it up on one grade, running mile after mile wide open in second (6 speed auto) at 25mph... no joke. Tranny temp hit 290 and it was cool that day. The engine reving that low would probably do that for days, if the tranny would hold up. Don't tell me wife, OK?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been told there is a big difference in HD halfs and 3/4 standard in axles strength and bearings as well as brakes. The brakes under my 2500 are huge and the pumpkin ginormous. My old half ton chevy had a towing rating of 9500# and only had drum brakes rear... can you say, no way Jose? And, with only 338# torque it could barely pulled a 4000# trailmanor over the Rockies. Soured me on Chevy gassers. I tried to blow it up on one grade, running mile after mile wide open in second (6 speed auto) at 25mph... no joke. Tranny temp hit 290 and it was cool that day. The engine reving that low would probably do that for days, if the tranny would hold up. Don't tell me wife, OK?
if it could barely pull a 4000 lbs trailer you had a problem with that chevy . even my old 1/4 ton sonoma could do that with 4.3 v6

Tags
weight