Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
play Harder . seems these weight topics always open a can of worms .lol

What's the weight diff between a 1/2 and 3/4 , not towing but actual weight of the units ? I would think my 2500hd weights more then your 1500 ? or f150 etc
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
My truck w bed slide, fiberglass canopy full size Rack it - (outside and over cab heavy duty rack system) and me weight is 6200lb it is a HD 1/2 ton also - yes I've had this debate over 3/4 ton that's why I know what's the differences are over the exact 1/2 to and 3/4 ton quadrasteer....

It's all in fun .......


Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
__________________

__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
well maybe my 2500 doesn't weight more then your 1500 . I'll find out tomorrow when i go the the dump and get my empty weight with me in it . I also have the fiberglass topper about 250 to 300 lbs .
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Also I'm just a std cab with a long bed 4x4 . they weigh a bit less then the four doors
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
Lol - I was waiting for that ��

Like I said I've been wrong before ---

Not all 1/2 ton are equal - the only thing that is 1/2 ton on a quadrasteer is the leaf springs -- which I have change out plus added 3/4 ton air bags, adjustable rancho shocks, E ply tires rims , 6 liter V8 gas have had this setup since I bought the truck new - hauled a 3000lb + camper on truck for almost 300k - plus have towed very big ski boats all my life not worried about TV --- very stable as the back wheels sit out wider than the front - love this truck if only they would produce them again - I'd be first inline for a new one.

Getting over complicated if you not over axle limits then everything is Ok that's all I was saying ( yes I understand u need a certain tong weight too)

No disrespect - just keeping post going
No disrespect detected! I've been wrong more than you.. I bet... I'm older. No one can argue with its ability if it has done it and for that many miles. I don't think these trucks were rated for 3000# in the box, but if can do it, it ain't bragging. I was under the impression you were concerned for axle weight including your half-ton, see... my mistake... again.
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
North Star that's how I got my weight - garbage run

And no it's not rated for 3000 in the box - I thought I was buying a light weight lance camper the sticker said 1980 dry weight but lance doesn't include any options in their weigh in ---- all in all I'll bet it was more like 4000lb in the box and yes I was over loaded a bit but now I'll be all good 😃 with a new light weight TH


Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
North Star that's how I got my weight - garbage run

And no it's not rated for 3000 in the box - I thought I was buying a light weight lance camper the sticker said 1980 dry weight but lance doesn't include any options in their weigh in ---- all in all I'll bet it was more like 4000lb in the box and yes I was over loaded a bit but now I'll be all good 😃 with a new light weight TH


Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!

just looked at the sticker on my truck for slide ins #3000 . i had /have selling a northstar pop up slide in weighed 1557 loaded about 2000 .

the manufactures are always trying to cover their asses so ratings i'm sure are reduced from actual amounts . if it weren't thay we we could carry nothing based on these ratings . I did break an axle in a 92 sonoma carrying a 1200 camper in it . but only once
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Total weight of truck and trailer-14540. Subtract trailer axles - 6360. Subtract truck 6900. Tongue weight 1280.
I apologize but I found and inconsistency or error, depending on what scale section the individual axles were on.

If you do the math by adding the weight of truck both axles and subtract truck by itself you get one answer, but in the description above, gives you a different figure. A difference of 40#. Had to be an error in the 3 section scale.

Play Harder said the numbers didn't add up, well they don't. And, he was nice and didn't bust my chops for it. Thanks PH. I've looked at this so long, my eyes are crossed!
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
just looked at the sticker on my truck for slide ins #3000 . i had /have selling a northstar pop up slide in weighed 1557 loaded about 2000 .

the manufactures are always trying to cover their asses so ratings i'm sure are reduced from actual amounts . if it weren't thay we we could carry nothing based on these ratings . I did break an axle in a 92 sonoma carrying a 1200 camper in it . but only once
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been told there is a big difference in HD halfs and 3/4 standard in axles strength and bearings as well as brakes. The brakes under my 2500 are huge and the pumpkin ginormous. My old half ton chevy had a towing rating of 9500# and only had drum brakes rear... can you say, no way Jose? And, with only 338# torque it could barely pulled a 4000# trailmanor over the Rockies. Soured me on Chevy gassers. I tried to blow it up on one grade, running mile after mile wide open in second (6 speed auto) at 25mph... no joke. Tranny temp hit 290 and it was cool that day. The engine reving that low would probably do that for days, if the tranny would hold up. Don't tell me wife, OK?
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I don't claim to be an expert, but I've been told there is a big difference in HD halfs and 3/4 standard in axles strength and bearings as well as brakes. The brakes under my 2500 are huge and the pumpkin ginormous. My old half ton chevy had a towing rating of 9500# and only had drum brakes rear... can you say, no way Jose? And, with only 338# torque it could barely pulled a 4000# trailmanor over the Rockies. Soured me on Chevy gassers. I tried to blow it up on one grade, running mile after mile wide open in second (6 speed auto) at 25mph... no joke. Tranny temp hit 290 and it was cool that day. The engine reving that low would probably do that for days, if the tranny would hold up. Don't tell me wife, OK?
if it could barely pull a 4000 lbs trailer you had a problem with that chevy . even my old 1/4 ton sonoma could do that with 4.3 v6
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.