Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiordan View Post
I don't understand the 1/2 ton towable part. The weight is ok, but the tongue weight for a half ton is a lot and I wouldn't pull with one.
I'm with you John, I prefer and own a 2500. But there are many 1/2 tons that absolutely can tow even the heaviest in the lineup.

We can't stop marketing and salesmen from playing with words or decieving a buyer who hears that old line and thinks it will be OK with his truck. As always "buyer beware". My point is, if those trailers now have a GVWR of 9774# rather than 10,985# like they did, more 1/2 ton trucks are on the road that technically haul one and marketing is deceiving fewer, which makes it OK. What makes it more believable is that many potential buyers have never towed anything this size and weight over steep grades.
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #72
Junior Member
 
mader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 13
this is my first post here and I may be in the wrong place, but help me if you will, I just got a new 29 xlr and on my yellow tag the dry weight is 7372#, after having it home and using it, one day I was looking under it an saw I have 4400# axles, now in the cargo bay it said not to go over 2000# in the garage, well the problem I see with this is the weight that is hanging out the back end, and behind the axles. my
Utv is just over 1400# and on board fuel is 30 gallons (180#), so is 7372# and then add 2000# to that, it comes up to 9372# out the back end, this is not sharing any weight with hitch. So I feel the 4400# axle need to be 5000# axles, so I am needing to see if I am missing something here from some of you
__________________

__________________
mader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mader View Post
this is my first post here and I may be in the wrong place, but help me if you will, I just got a new 29 xlr and on my yellow tag the dry weight is 7372#, after having it home and using it, one day I was looking under it an saw I have 4400# axles, now in the cargo bay it said not to go over 2000# in the garage, well the problem I see with this is the weight that is hanging out the back end, and behind the axles. my
Utv is just over 1400# and on board fuel is 30 gallons (180#), so is 7372# and then add 2000# to that, it comes up to 9372# out the back end, this is not sharing any weight with hitch. So I feel the 4400# axle need to be 5000# axles, so I am needing to see if I am missing something here from some of you
at a sticker weight of 7372 will give you a total cargo weight of around 2300 lbs .yes the axles s/b bigger . your same yellow tag should reflect your total cargo capacity left . that's all your going to get . Forest river will not help you nor will the dealer . you have at your option and expense to up grade to 5200# axles and springs but you are on your own . do not go over rated cargo capacity of your unit [they are all different based on options] if you do and have issues forest river will not honor any warranties for damage caused . your total s/b right around 96xx . and remember your tongue weight will carry a 1000 or more of that .
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #74
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mader View Post
this is my first post here and I may be in the wrong place, but help me if you will, I just got a new 29 xlr and on my yellow tag the dry weight is 7372#, after having it home and using it, one day I was looking under it an saw I have 4400# axles, now in the cargo bay it said not to go over 2000# in the garage, well the problem I see with this is the weight that is hanging out the back end, and behind the axles. my
Utv is just over 1400# and on board fuel is 30 gallons (180#), so is 7372# and then add 2000# to that, it comes up to 9372# out the back end, this is not sharing any weight with hitch. So I feel the 4400# axle need to be 5000# axles, so I am needing to see if I am missing something here from some of you
GVWR for the 29HFS is just under 9800lbs. If you where to load the trailer to the max Gross weight, ~15% will be carried by the tow vehicle. 1470-9800=8330/2=4165
Even if you assume worst case of only 10% tongue weight 980-9800=8820/2=4410 which I doubt you would ever see. Getting your tongue weight down to 10% would be the result of some pretty extreme conditions.

Most likely what you will see is 7372 (dry weight) + 1400 (UTV) + 700 (Clothes, pots&pans, Assorted gear, water, Battery, LP Tanks, etc) = 9472 x 12.5% (tongue weight) = 1184-9472=8288/2=4144 per axle

I am going to put a 1000# CanAm and a 900# Harley in the garage when I get mind and I am convened it won't be a problem for the axles.
__________________
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #75
Junior Member
 
mader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 13
thanks everyone, but let me put it another way and see if all can correct me again, I still have that question, that's lingering in my head about that yellow sticker in the garage and ya may already be ahead of me, but in my cargo bay on the inside there is a yellow sticker that said not to put over 2000# in the garage its self, so to understanding if I never put anything else in the camper, saying in front of the axles. and only 1999# in the cargo bay witch is out behind the rear axle, this weight will never add to the tongue weight , and only add to the axle weight,
__________________
mader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
That is correct, anything in the garage is on the axles only. Loading your garage will actually lower your tongue weight.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
I wanna see pics of Can- Am and Harley in that garage 😎

I'm just loading a Can Am and u said a 1000lb u must have an RT gonna be one tight fit /

I pulled my queen bed in garage for a little extra weight saving - and head room -- still have the walk thru dinette if I need a second sleeper for some one

Would like to see it all loaded

Welcome to the forum
__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
I wanna see pics of Can- Am and Harley in that garage 😎

I'm just loading a Can Am and u said a 1000lb u must have an RT gonna be one tight fit /

I pulled my queen bed in garage for a little extra weight saving - and head room -- still have the walk thru dinette if I need a second sleeper for some one

Would like to see it all loaded

Welcome to the forum
I had my wife's CanAm RT-S SE and my Harley FLHR in my last rig with a 10' garage. It was 102" wide as opposed to the 29HFS 96" wide. It was EXTREMELY tight in mine. Barely fit. I'm not saying it's not possible with a 96" trailer as I never tried it but I agree with PH, I'd like to see it.
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:32 PM   #79
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mader View Post
thanks everyone, but let me put it another way and see if all can correct me again, I still have that question, that's lingering in my head about that yellow sticker in the garage and ya may already be ahead of me, but in my cargo bay on the inside there is a yellow sticker that said not to put over 2000# in the garage its self, so to understanding if I never put anything else in the camper, saying in front of the axles. and only 1999# in the cargo bay witch is out behind the rear axle, this weight will never add to the tongue weight , and only add to the axle weight,
Any cargo you carry in the garage will subtract from the tongue weight, therefor, your assessment is correct.
(NOTE: I spoke with two different manufacturer sales people (NOT XLR) tell me that cargo weight would add to tongue weight. I tried to explain the improbability of that by reason of simple geometry at which point they both referred me to their engineers who have never returned my calls.)
How much is not proven. The variables are too numerous and dynamic to calculate.
That said, When I get mine, I intend to put it on scales to find out.
__________________
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Play Harder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 506
I'll think you will be fine it's just an excuse to put 4 batteries on the tung for more hitch weight 😁
__________________

__________________
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.