Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #21

True. If you look at my picture that battery box bracket is what really stopped it from moving forward.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Here is a pic of my trailer frame after the 2" welds were done. The brackets had walked forward a 1/2" over time. They will not move again. I would recommend the welds to everyone.
Attachment 77234
unit will be parked for four months now that i'm in west yellowstone . living in it but won't be towing it till fall . then on my way back to Co or if my son comes out for a visit i'll have him bring my mig welder it's small enough to haul along and I should have just brought it with me .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #23

That sounds like the perfect plan since, you know your brackets are perfectly placed right now
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #24

I don't have the Andersen, but why, I wonder, if a couple of SDST metal screws through bracket / into frame would work?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I don't have the Andersen, but why, I wonder, if a couple of SDST metal screws through bracket / into frame would work?
That is probably a choice an owner could make. There are set screws that help keep the brackets in place that come with the hitch. Those seemed to have just indented a little path in my frame. There is one option to drill the set screw into the trailer frame. After seeing how mine had moved, I feel much more comfortable with the other option of small welds.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #26
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

On my old trailer I was getting some creaking noise that was associated with the condition of the ball chamber at the A frame nose. I bought a can of "SLIP" and sprayed it up into the ball chamber. It dries overnight and adds a dry lithium coating such that it removes ball contact friction. Find "SLIP" on Amazon.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
On my old trailer I was getting some creaking noise that was associated with the condition of the ball chamber at the A frame nose. I bought a can of "SLIP" and sprayed it up into the ball chamber. It dries overnight and adds a dry lithium coating such that it removes ball contact friction. Find "SLIP" on Amazon.
It is my understanding from the manual that NO lubricant should be on the ball or coupler opening for an Andersen, as that would negate your anti-sway. I do lubricate the moving parts of the coupler, but not the ball chamber.

OP:
Back to the original issue of "creaking real bad", did Andersen give you a real reason they thought this was happening?

We are just back from our Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Custer SP, trip. I also had some severe creaking from the Andersen hitch when we were leaving Yellowstone. I had left the triangle attached to the trailer while we were there. Rain had splattered dirt up onto the triangle. We wiped out inside of the ring and the bottom of the ball attachment with a towel because it was pretty dirty. No more squeak. I am pretty sure it was just the dirt.

I do also lubricate the 1/2" pin that secures the triangle.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #28

Must have got mine tight enough didn't move a bit
Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Must have got mine tight enough didn't move a bit
I would wait a little while before you make that statement. . . I though you only had this hitch for about a month? Wait till next year and check again.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #30

Torqued it up good and can't move more than 1/2 screws and plate from old hitch still there
Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #31

I had very bad squeaking noise on my third use of hitch - called Anderson and they sent me a new liner - used twice now seemed to cure squeak
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #32

I want to run down what I have experienced with my Andersen recently. So, I have had my Andersen for about a year. I now have over 8,000 miles on it. At about 4,500 miles on my Andersen I began to have a great deal of noise (like what an Equal-I-zer does normally) which is not normal for an Andersen hitch. I read about the OP with a similar noise, but I cannot tell if this is the same cause. I cleaned the triangle, pin and the bottom of the ball where the triangle connects. That seemed to get rid of the problem for each of several short trips.

This last trip (3600 miles) started fine other than the light rain, but after the first night's stop the hitch got noisy again when it dried up the next day. I felt like the anti-sway was less than normal in the wind. When we got to our first real stop with internet, I contacted Andersen. I sent them photos of what the ball looked like and explained my situation.

Andersen, for their part as they have with every question I have sent, responded quickly. They told me to remove/clean and reinstall the ball cone assuming my anti-sway material was black and not red. I told them that mine is red.
They then said they would send me new anti-sway material and indicated they may just send a new hitch head. All under warranty. It seems they use a different material now and that the red material isn’t current. I was moving too often and didn't want to chance missing the fedex shipment. I also didn’t have access to all of my tools, so it was my decision to wait until I got home to work on this.

Now at home and looking closely at my anti-sway material, there is a gap between the material and the metal. That gap is about a quarter way around the ball cone. . I assume (hate doing it) that there is dirt in that gap. That cannot help anti-sway or the material. There is also what appears to be a tear of the material. The tear was not there when I sent the previous messages to Andersen. I have again contacted Andersen CS and asked what they want to do. This seems like a simple replacement of material if you have the red stuff and this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	problem photo 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	83881   Click image for larger version

Name:	problem photo 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	83882   Click image for larger version

Name:	problem photo 3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	83883  
Old 07-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #33

Update from my previous post: Andersen is sending the new anti-sway material along with new smaller red springs. Both items sound like they have been replaced in the manufacturing process from the versions that I have.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Update from my previous post: Andersen is sending the new anti-sway material along with new smaller red springs. Both items sound like they have been replaced in the manufacturing process from the versions that I have.
seems they are getting the bugs worked out . i have not used mine much since visiting Andersen as i'm camped at west Yellowstone and will be here a couple more months . the th is working great so far and will have some long hauls come fall
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #35

I've used mine at least 8 times now - no more noise after I change out liner - works great in high wind - go through the Columbia gorge for kite boarding often 35-50mph + winds is common

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
I've used mine at least 8 times now - no more noise after I change out liner - works great in high wind - go through the Columbia gorge for kite boarding often 35-50mph + winds is common

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!

Big Brown truck is due here today. I will let you know in a few days, if it fixes my issues. I do hope this material lasts longer than 8K miles and a little over a year, though.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #37

All put back together. I had to remove the last chain link because of the new springs. Big difference in length . . .

Name:	Old vs New.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	84349

The new washers are really much larger and thicker also.

Ball cone when I took it off with the red anti-sway cleaned up with alcohol and 3M pad.
Before

Name:	ball 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	84352

After

Name:	ball cone cleaned up.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	84351

But I always get new tools when I do projects

Name:	New Tool.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	84350
Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #38

I always get new tools for a project too. Then generally misplace them and have to buy them again for the next project.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #39

YES! New anti-sway and springs (free and under lifetime warranty) and the hitch is better than new. Silent and rock solid!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #40
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I changed from Travel Trailer to Fifth Wheel and went with the Andersen Ultimate Fifth. Now my reliable but used Andersen WDH is for sale. I am in Dallas but will ship if need be. PM me if your interested. I'd like to get half the original cost back.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch