Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Andersen hitch again

Since I'm driving right by Andersen manufacturing tomorrow in idaho falls I gave jason a call and am stopping in for them to have a look see at the
hitch and set up . this last tow from northern Co to pinedale WY the hitch started making weird noises and creaking real bad . so I'll let them go over it and set it up and fix what ever it is .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #2

Interested to hear/see what they find. I'm still a week away from actually using my Andersen hitch.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

me to , it's supposed to be the quite hitch but the other day you could hear me a mile away . this way i will have them do what ever and get them to go over it well and change or make any adjustments needed . some times things just come together
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

Hearing that something could be installed better from the manufacturer is always nice.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Sounds like a great opportunity! Please, post your newfound knowledge when you get done.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

My hitch started squeaking and I tightened the bolts on the brackets that are on the trailer frame and that took a lot of it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

i'll give that a try but think i have those bolts as tight as they can be , used a 350lbs impact wrench and have not any movement of the brackets in over 2000 miles .
Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 PM   #8

I had no movement either and tightened them a little more with a breaker bar and it helped (I am a big guy).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
i'll give that a try but think i have those bolts as tight as they can be , used a 350lbs impact wrench and have not any movement of the brackets in over 2000 miles .
I am pretty sure my manual said the shank bolts (that I think you are talking about) should be at 150 ft lbs. I would think more than twice the recommended torque would be an issue, but it will be interesting what Andersen has to say about that.

I believe egladden was talking about the trailer frame brackets not the shank bolts. If you over tighten the frame brackets they will bend and lose contact with the frame. I believe the torque spec for those bolts was only 90 ft lbs. If your frame brackets are bowed, that would probably be the cause of your noise.

If you are worried about the frame brackets moving or coming loose, then maybe you can talk Andersen into doing the "optional frame bracket installation" method of adding a 2" weld to the frame and bracket.

Please, let us know how it goes in Idaho.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

I too had crazy bad squeaking - squealing noise very loud when turning -- called Anderson and they sent out new sleeve - haven't had time to test yet since work has been crazy busy - but will next weekend for 5 days ---

Defiantly interested in what they say

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Ok . had a great visit with Jason at Andersen Manufacturing . also can't remember the others guys name now but he was also very helpful . he jumped on my a-frame and i drove him around the lot so he could pin point the creaking . It was coming from the Ball Shank and the breaking material . they took the ball off and pressed it out of the sleeve and found some glazing going on along with what looked like skipping of the ball shank that occurred when turning . i have about 2500 miles on the hitch now and have been through major torrential rains , temps from 90 to 20 over passes etc . They decided to keep my ball , the ball receiver and break material for further study . Then with awesome attitudes we went out with a new ball and sleeve , installed it on my truck where they proceeded to re-set my hitch brackets and just re-install the hitch from scratch . Seems they've done this a few times before as they had it done in no time and now only 4 threads show instead of the 6 or 7 it was . I did bring up the triangle alignment and the procedure to straighten it out , Got good confirmation that a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer can be used . I just happpened to have a dead blow hammer right there in the truck umm! They mentioned they may change the procured to allow for this . coupled up and lifted up the the jack slight taps will move the triangle plate into position. also got the extra washers so now i have them on both sides of the spring . something else their working on . the product is getting better and the slight kinks they have had are getting sorted out .

I love the hitch, it works as advertised and would not put a conventional WD hitch on my truck after using the andersen . The TH tow like a dream . never any bounce issues sway issues and other then the creaking which they took care of no questions asked . I woulds say it is one of the better if not one of the best hitches out there . you almost forget you have a 34' tt behind you

Also got my best mpg today from pindale WY to Idaho Falls of 9.78 . a short 2 hr drive to west yellowstone . where i am right now set up and ready to enjoy the summer and work at the KOA and Motel 8 . i couple days to get settled in and then some work and play
Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

I had "brackets" welded on and has made it much easier for me to drive. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431479672.004622.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	76810Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1431479686.070159.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	76811

Once I added those, the main brackets were not slipping on the a frame anymore and could feel a difference in weight being returned to the front axle.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	2inchweld.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	76812
This is what Andersen recommends for the weld (only on the outside bracket).

Easily removable and can be angled so the bottom of the bracket aligns with the chain.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
...they had it done in no time and now only 4 threads show instead of the 6 or 7 it was.
Are you saying they think you had the brackets installed too far forward and moved them back farther, or you were tightening the nuts 3-4 turns too much?

Quote:
...also got the extra washers so now i have them on both sides of the spring
I was told to add two washers to the rear just before the nuts. Did they install yours on either side of the spring? Pictures of your completed setup please?

Quote:
...I love the hitch, it works as advertised and would not put a conventional WD hitch on my truck after using the andersen .
Love mine too. Weight savings and ease of hookup and drop made my choice to purchase easier.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #15

[QUOTE=madmaxmutt;861718]Are you saying they think you had the brackets installed too far forward and moved them back farther, or you were tightening the nuts 3-4 turns too much?

I was told to add two washers to the rear just before the nuts. Did they install yours on either side of the spring? Pictures of your completed setup please?

brackets where a little far forward they said it was fine . but they did start to slip so not where i had put them to begin with .wish i had welded them before hitting the road, now the welder is hundreds of miles away . I should have gone through and had them welded when i was there . Now unit will be parked for 4 months . May rent a welder and get it done

washers on both sides of the spring. I requested this and they agreed with the set up . when compressed the bushing outter edges would wrap past the bracket washer , the other washers are bigger diameter so it contains the spring . sorry don't have any pics of it hooked up but could get a pic with it unhooked .
I tend to make lots as of mods but fail to take pictures ,not used to sharing lol
Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #16

Hondaman
Yes should have welded them when i had the chance .i've seen your pics before and thought that was a great idea . thanks for sharing .lol
Old 05-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Hondaman
Yes should have welded them when i had the chance .i've seen your pics before and thought that was a great idea . thanks for sharing .lol
Here is a pic of my trailer frame after the 2" welds were done. The brackets had walked forward a 1/2" over time. They will not move again. I would recommend the welds to everyone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andersen hitch brackets walked on trailer frame.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	77234
Old 05-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #18

Mad max- yep those look familiar. No matter how tight I torqued they still shifted. We originally welded a front brace for the brackets. It only proved to be a pivot point and had to add a rear brace too. Have a 300 mile pull this week so I can fine tune my setup as I go.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #19

I drove from Colorado Springs, CO to Dallas, TX and back with the two inch welds in place and no issues. I think because they are at the bottom of the bracket where the chain attaches there is no real pivot point.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #20

Going to try mine out in a week for the first time didn't weld it yet but there is a bracket left from my old set up right in front of it so it shouldn't move.

Tags
hitch